GRAND BANKS DORY by Boats Sully - BlueJacket Shipcrafters - 1"=1'

Hello every one, for my first build log I will  be doing a Dory from BlueJacket Shipcrafters.  IMG_5341-3.thumb.jpg.db01a57c19d40059558381258240841e.jpg

I plan on making a diorama with  the boat pulled up on the beach with some lobster-pots.  Reviewing some  of the Dory builds on the site,  I really enjoyed reading ThirdCoast's build and his lobster pots.That inspired me to see if I can do something similar.

Thats my plan anyway will see how it all turns out. 

Onto some building.   I glued up the frames over the plan, was very easy to do as the plans are very clear and provide lines for the angles that need to be cut.    

Next came the notch for the gunwales.....Which made me a bit nervous...I had visions of cutting through the frames. Ultimately had no issue. I transferred the location from the plans to the frames then cut them out with a x acto knife while the frame was on the plan to get the depth right. 

Everything seems to be  off to a good start. 

Appreciate any comments or  advice.IMG_5343-3.thumb.jpg.52e3d93d221a79320957ede1abb422b6.jpg

IMG_5346-3.thumb.jpg.b3ea17faacf81a352df9ec356ffc9098.jpg

All the best 

Chris 

I Glued the frames down along with the stem, stern, mast step and the cleats .IMG_5349-3.thumb.jpg.fcc7dcf85469ad0ba8f762f6afacdbd4.jpg

Getting the frame to curve was a challenge . Raiding the cupboard supplied a decent amount of weight for the Bow and stern. In the end I didn't get much of a curve to the bottom of the hull(though my wife did get a kick out of my soup can tower).IMG_5350.thumb.jpg.42b3f9425a1bcc302c62b2047e82213a.jpg Once every thing was dry I soaked the gunwale strips and clamped them in place over night.   The next morning they has a nice curve to them. 

IMG_5377-2.thumb.jpg.dd0ca8916b372919b8af9530322d38ac.jpg

After glueing them to the frames i realized that Murphy and his law had joined me on the build...I didn't position one of the gunwales far enough forward.    Trying to remove it(using alcohol to soften the tight bond ) broke the frame.  I have given up on trying to remove it from the notches on the frame. Instead I will add another piece to get it to the proper length.

IMG_5390_Original.thumb.jpg.f45e4d223fda8bdc1616bc46506764e9.jpg

Thats where things stand at the moment.

IMG_5376-2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Chris: OUCH!!!

Sorry to hear about the setback, will be watching to see the re-boot.

Great subject, these working boats make impressive models.

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold