HMS Sphinx by myxyzptlyk - Vanguard Models

Got the port side decorations applied.    A word of caution.   Handle them lightly and with care.    They look fantastic.    They really add to the look of the ship.       I did have problems around the fore and main stools.   In my case I just removed the stools for now and will reapply them later.      If you can't remove yours you will have to trim the decorations a bit so that they fit.    Interestingly, when I look at the plan sheet that shows which decoration goes where  (Plan sheet 13) the stools are not shown being attached.   The channels are there but the stools are not.  (at least I don't see them) 

IMG_7562.JPG

IMG_7563.JPG

IMG_7561.JPG

Working on the chain plates now.    This will take some time as there are so many.   The parts do fit together well but definitely require lots of paint touchup after installing.    I had re-installed the stools prior to putting the chain plates on.    I think leaving them off until the decorations are installed is the way to go.   

IMG_7564.JPG

IMG_7565.JPG

Per the instructions, it's on to the interior.   This is one beautiful model.   The exterior is probably 98% complete.   Just a few touch ups that I will do near the end.     Note I did not apply the roman numeral depth guides.     I have tried that in the past and I just can't get them to be uniform.   And since very few models have them I am going to omit them.

IMG_7567.JPG

IMG_7566.JPG

IMG_7568.JPG

IMG_7569.JPG

Sweet.   Looks good.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Have pretty much completed the gun deck pieces.     I left the galley doors off for now and will put in place when I get to that part of the upper decking.    One word of caution.   For the galley door frames that outer frame is EXTREMELY fragile.    So thin that I don't see how anyone can put it in place without it breaking.   Fortunately, it is an easy repair and unnoticeable when finished.     Will be working on the guns shortly.

IMG_7577.JPG

IMG_7578.JPG

You are flying a long and it's looking great from here.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

all the cannons are built and installed.    For those of you who have built lots of kits it will be tempting to build the gun carriages completely and then add the cannon barrels.   You can't do that with this kit.    Be sure to follow the kit instructions closely.      Now on to the deck beams.

IMG_7582.JPG

IMG_7583.JPG

IMG_7584.JPG

I have all the deck beam installed.   The forecastle beams went in perfectly.   Nice, tight fit.    The directions indicated I needed to bevel the MDF slots in order for the beam ends to sit on the bulwarks.   Turns out I didn't need to do that as my beams all sit on the bulwarks nicely.   

While I used the spacers as required during the build process, I found some of the aft beams required a bit of trimming to fit.    Not the slots but the ends were a bit too long and didn't allow the placing of the beams.   Nothing major at all.     I found it a bit puzzling that while the transom piece fit perfectly indicating the correct spacing of the sides that I had to trim the beams a bit.    I have test fitted the deck piece and it will only require very minimal sanding to get it to fit.    So I am not sure why the beams required some trimming. 

Also was totally unable to thread the anchor cable from the inside or from the outside.    I will end up just stuffing some of the cable into the hawse holes and applying a tiny bit of CA to hold the cable in place once I get to doing the anchors. 

IMG_7586.JPG

IMG_7585.JPG

Sound reasoning for not getting this get at this time.   Having built over 20 kits from various manufacturers, this kit is like no other.   Super high quality parts with most of the parts prefabricated.     Thoroughly enjoyable build.     I'm even tempted to get another kit because this one was so much fun.    Can't wait for Chris's next big kit.   

If you can get permission definitely buy this kit.

4 hours ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

a bit puzzling that while the transom piece fit perfectly indicating the correct spacing of the sides that I had to trim the beams a bit. 

Pretty standard for parts like this to be laser cut oversized in quality kits. Spacers aside not every ship is built the same and the design allows room for adjustments to account for the variations among different builders. 

Nice build, and likely a new speed record. Perhaps you can get more light on your nice model for the photos?

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

The quarterdeck and the forecastle deck have been applied as well as the bulwark sections.   The deck sections required just a bit of shaping to fit.     I did note that in the forecastle area after you have placed the beams, there are 3 sections of MDF frames protruding above deck level.   These need to be removed.    Later pictures show them removed but I didn't read any mention of this process unlike the process being mentioned for the quarterdeck.   Still an easy and intuitive process.

IMG_7587.JPG

IMG_7588.JPG

IMG_7589.JPG

Progress continues but at a slower pace.   Lots of painting at this stage so it takes time to let the paint dry.  

I may have found something that is missing.    If I have goofed up let me know.      It has to do with the gunwales.    The fore, mid and aft  gunwales are very straightforward but on both sides just aft of the mid gunwale and parallel to the main channel there is a short section that looks to require a gunwale but I don't see any reference to it in the instructions nor do I see anything resembling that piece in the laser cut sheets.    But  the picture in step 581 appears to show a piece there with two opening for later pieces.   Since I couldn't find any corresponding pieces I just filled in the space with wood filler and finished and painted it.     Once I get to the place with adding pieces in those two openings, I'll just drill a hole there and attach the pieces.    (after posting this I am going to go down to the workroom and look again for those pieces).

As I mentioned before I left the galley door frames off for later addition.   As it turns out after thinking about it I wonder why even have those doors there.    There is no "room" that would require doors.    On this model the door frame would just be sitting there.   As built on the model, sailors would not have to go through the doors to get to the stove.   They could just go around the frame.  I am going to leave that assembly off entirely.    

IMG_7590.JPG

IMG_7591.JPG

2 hours ago, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

I have just gone through James's prototype build log again, and for that issue with the gunwales that I am having, again, I don't see any mention of a piece going there but there are numerous later pictures showing something there.

Not a huge issue since I think my solution will work well.  

From what I can see from the build log and manual photos I think it was just sanded  smooth, blended and painted black with the gunwales. Your solution looks good also.

Glenn (UK)

22 hours ago, James H said:

Those areas are just neatened, filled and finished, then painted black. There are no parts that fit there.

The shed section between mid deck and forecastle gunwales, that's just the same with those little slots to fit the timberheads.

I am not seeing any slots to fit those timberheads.     

The first picture here shows that area that I thought something was missing.   According to Jim above there are supposed to be 2 slots in this area.   As you can see there are none.    And while I did use filler to even out this area I definitely do not remember any slot.      Either way, it will be an easy matter to attach two timberheads to this area.

The other picture shows the aft section with a lot done.   The timberheads, wheel, binnacle and in front of this area are in.   Now for a bunch of painting

IMG_7593.JPG

IMG_7594.JPG