HMS Sphinx by myxyzptlyk - Vanguard Models

On 9/1/2021 at 7:17 AM, myxyzptlyk2003 said:

The device is called "bending machine" and sold by MicroMark here in the US.

Thanks for letting us know about this bending machine. I've never seen one of these before.

Do you simply put the wood piece through the machine dry without using any heat or moisture? Also, are you able to get the wood to bend in two directions when needed? For example, when a plank needs to be edge bent so that it will curve around and upwards at the same time at the bow? 

Bob

Yes.      That's the beauty of this machine.      It allows you to build without waiting for wood to soak or dry.     At this point it is working super well with anything less than 2mm thick.    Haven't tired anything thicker.    Plus it can only handle things about 3 inches wide.     The trick with this unit is to make multiple passes through the unit.    If you try to bend too much too quickly the wood will break.   

i've had great success with starting the unit set so that the wood passes through without having to turn the handle.   Then I gradually turn down the four corner screws.    One pass takes just seconds.      In general depending on how much of a bend you need.    10-20 pass throughs can give you a 90 degree bend.

I also haven't tried two dimensions although my thought would be that it would be a lot harder to do but maybe not impossible.

2nd planking is completed and about 95 % of the sanding and smoothing done.   Have used some filler as can be seen by the color variation in the pictures below.   But overall the hull is smooth.    I'm not entirely satisfied with this planking job but then I'm never really satisfied.   I'm terrible at planking even though I've done dozens of ships.     Fortunately most of this hull is painted and that will cover up lots of things.    

Now on to the wales. IMG_7520.thumb.JPG.ea7a0aabbcc56dee1daa140e0854ac72.JPGIMG_7521.thumb.JPG.0f3d15c3ffdcba7ef73f74c24bbfd4da.JPG

The bending machine definitely speeds things up.     I don't think you can bend materials like this in 2 dimensions.    There would not be the rigidness needed to keep the material upright when going through.      I guess if I needed to bend strip wood in two dimensions it would have to be back to the old soak and dry methods.

Another thing I use at times to speed things up is a glue gun.    When you know exactly where the piece needs to go and you can place the piece accurately in a few seconds then I use the gun.      When using the glue gun the piece is in place in a couple of seconds and it is not going anywhere.   It's held fast.     I find it particularly helpful with those extreme bends at the stern. 

Have now completed things through step 205.   The quarter gallery patterns and ready to move on to the first painting.      With the patterns I had to remove about 2mm of the fore part of the tab to get things to fit nicely. 

I am hoping to replicate the finish that James got on his prototype.    I'm using several light coats of varnish with a very light sanding between coats.  (400 grit)lIMG_7525.thumb.JPG.e1fd8cb1736c212a1d4f3e93ff22a2f3.JPG

IMG_7524.JPG

One word of caution.   After you have attached the inner transom piece be very careful with it.   It is only 0.6mm thick and fairly brittle with all of the openings in it.    It is very easy to break.    I put a slight crack in mine (very minor).      Once you get the outer transom on you will have a very firm structure.

Construction proceeds as time allows.    Note that the white areas of the keel, prow and sternpost will be added shortly.   I left the masking tape on from the previous smoothening step.   I'm up to the step of painting the upper areas blue and red.    Then on to attaching the railings.     My preliminary attempts at using the bending machine for the forward rails has been successful.     I'm taking it slowly but the bends are happening without any breakage.

IMG_7530.JPG

IMG_7531.JPG