HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

3 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

the manual asks for a cutoff of the red color in the cabin area, Mark painted it over completely so the spricketing pattern is red on the whole lenght - i should have done the same to be honest after i got the paint spill on the cutoff

Jacek,

You might have misunderstood my sense of humour. I was making the point that paint spill or not, the end result looks very good.

Thanks for the likes and comments.   

15 hours ago, Jasseji said:

Nice of you to join us, now catch up ;)

I'm working on it but not gong to rush it.  I can break parts with the best of them if I get in a hurry.  :D

Just a short one... Jigs have been assembled and put into place.   True, there should be 4 at the stern but "oops" happens".   I'm using "oops" to replace the colorful metaphors that turned the air blue. I still have the missing pieces, I'll see if I can glue them back into position before picking up and apply sand paper in quantity.

I also dug out my shipyard's master shipwright and have him checking things out on the deck.

Now to start sanding... and sanding.. and.... you get the idea.

1-13.thumb.JPG.ceb919d7e24734e72d8ead8e0effee0f.JPG

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

9 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Thanks for the likes and comments.   

I'm working on it but not gong to rush it.  I can break parts with the best of them if I get in a hurry.  :D

Just a short one... Jigs have been assembled and put into place.   True, there should be 4 at the stern but "oops" happens".   I'm using "oops" to replace the colorful metaphors that turned the air blue. I still have the missing pieces, I'll see if I can glue them back into position before picking up and apply sand paper in quantity.

I glued the Q-Deck Jig Ears back while fitting the ply bulwark liner, broke all of them during sanding ;)

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

I hope you're right, Brian.   Having my share of blue air moments but that's the way it goes.  Thanks for the confidence.

I'm losing more ears also, Jacek along with my mind.  :D  At some point, I'll make some "extenders" to raise them up some.

Just a minor update, maybe not so minor in light of the hours on this step so far...   Port side is just about sanded but needs some final work.  I'm holding off on that until the starboard side is sanded.  The bow is taking shape but will be finished after the starboard side is done and I can compare via templates and get them finalized.  After both sides and the bow are done, I'll work on the stern.   Here's a progress pic.

1-14.thumb.JPG.a2bf82ea787b583cf473c99f52fc0f4c.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Coming on  real nice there mate,    I feel your pain with  pieces  getting damaged  - remember my  Gryhound build  and those rear quarter window  frames  - that liked ot snap?.

Keep at it Mark  - dont worry about the swearing  I think the volume is turned down on the forum.😁

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Thanks for the likes and comments.   OC, I'll try to keep the volume down.  No need for me to stir up the neighbors. :D

Been taking my time at this sanding and shaping the hull.  I try to go over every inch with a plank to check that everything is fair.   So far so good.   I may need to work on the bow a bit more but my next step is to work on the stern.   Here's pics of the latest effort.\

BTW, for those building the Sphinx, don't toss the wood after removing the parts right away.  Hang onto it until the removed parts are sanded, shaped as needed, and installed.   I found if I break one, and I have done that, that the piece where the part was removed is an excellent template to make a replacement.   

Here's pics as she sits on the bench.

1-15.thumb.JPG.2f039daf71555d6dbcee4f1ce2cd231b.JPG

1-16.thumb.JPG.b1dfb234fe34bcb02eb7a66fe8cde7a9.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice work, Mark. I always get anxious when it comes to fairing the hull. Even though I check with a batten as I go along, I never feel certain that I've really got it right...not enough or too much...

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

11 minutes ago, BobG said:

Nice work, Mark. I always get anxious when it comes to fairing the hull. Even though I check with a batten as I go along, I never feel certain that I've really got it right...not enough or too much...

I worried about that also on this model as the tolerances seem very tight though Chris did leave meat where needed for final fitting.  On a scratch build.. I don't worry that much for some reason.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mark said.

BTW, for those building the Sphinx, don't toss the wood after removing the parts right away.  Hang onto it until the removed parts are sanded, shaped as needed, and installed.   I found if I break one, and I have done that, that the piece where the part was removed is an excellent template to make a replacement. 

Good advice Mark, I always keep the frets until the build end, and in the case of the 'expensive' wood frets I retain them not only for templates but as  material for modifications to the model. They are too useful to throw away.

Your fairing looks to be coming along nicely. 👍

B.E.

Thanks B.E.   So far, so good.    And thanks for the likes.

I'm just about ready to start the planking.   Need to print out my planking fan and do some marking up of the hull.   I've finished sanding and fairing though I think I may have to revisit the stern a bit.  Photos to bring this log up to date are below.

I do have a question which I've not been able to sort out.  Do the wales stand proud of the planking?  Should they?  I've looked at everyone's build and can't tell from the photos posted.   I've looked in the manual, the on line builds, and all the drawings and can't tell.  I'm also asking this James' prototype log.  It's just nagging at the back of my brain.

1-17.thumb.JPG.6163ce43eb3b65082416524186c2f38d.JPG1-18.thumb.JPG.421e529647d2b4d4ab350846eba90116.JPG 

I managed to get the bow pieces right the first time.... whoopie!!!!!

1-19.thumb.JPG.806427c85e4aed05349da4651a13d91b.JPG

1-20.thumb.JPG.bd7d1c93cca103ea0ad916ade38f6558.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I do have a question which I've not been able to sort out.  Do the wales stand proud of the planking?  Should they?  I've looked at everyone's build and can't tell from the photos posted.   I've looked in the manual, the on line builds, and all the drawings and can't tell.  I'm also asking this James' prototype log.  It's just nagging at the back of my brain.

I think it does Mark but only by the width of the pattern, 0.6mm. 

Have a look at the manual photos on page 40.

I checked out the  cross section plans in the AotS Pandora book which I think Chris used extensively in his design, the wales do stand proud of the  other planking, but not by much.

I think Chris has also included a pre formed 'Black' strake which sits above the wale. On the Pandora plans this is shown as narrower than the wale but a tad thicker than the planking above.

I had a look in my  David Antscherl ffm on Swan Class sloops regarding the relative planking differences.

What we are interested in are the scale  differences, this works out at 0.4mm  between the wale and the black strake/ topside planking, and  less for the planking below the wale (0.2mm)

1647254944_799d(1).thumb.jpg.fc1362e3e1d4757f062936b666d2efe0.jpg

This shot of James's fine build shows the definition a little clearer.

B.E.

Edited by Blue Ensign

Thanks B.E.   James noted that they do stand proud which is good. And 0.4mm sounds about right.  I realize at this scale, somethings are tiny.  I do have a pile of "dark" Swiss pear that think will good for the planking below the wales and use the kit pieces above.  Now to focus on getting the first layer of planking down.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

The Wales are like anatomic curves. 

They need to be distinguisahble

But not too much

Not too Little as well

If you get me ;)

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

4 minutes ago, Jasseji said:

The Wales are like anatomic curves. 

They need to be distinguisahble

But not too much

Not too Little as well

If you get me ;)

All true.  

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Hey Mark. If you visit the blog of Winchelsea by Chuck Passaro (which is the same time period), you will see that he has double-layered the planking where the wales go. This would definitely be more noticeable at the larger 1:48 scale he is building in compared to what you are working with.  Your model of the Sphinx is looking great, buddy. Keep up this project.

Brian D. :)

Thanks Brian.  I've been following his build and others.   I think I"ve got it sorted out and have started the first layer of planking.  It'll be awhile before I really have anything to show.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

First layer is started.   I think I've things were they need to be though still not too sure about the last plank at the stern.  I'm not too worried about the the plank going over the transom yet.  But, it does look close the pictures in the manual.   

1-21.thumb.JPG.3862a53fa808bd548cf898f88b490099.JPG

1-22.thumb.JPG.1046da862184bb4a141bc1094a5ff81d.JPG

1-23.thumb.JPG.6f79c05d03114502e941aefebc9daf74.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Nice job, Mark!

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

I think it is terrific how you manage to get the curve on the bow so perfect without the use of blocks, especially after the initial curve. I am assuming this is due to extra frames in that area together with good fairing practices and of coarse the added skill and experiances. Please correct me if I am wrong in any way.

I always seem to get a bit of a dip in my planking in this area and end up having to fill in a bit. I used blocks in the bow and stern but still wish I had added a few more just forward of the initial Bend. Keep up the good work Mark and I look forward to watching your progress and learning so much. Thank you.

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Thanks for the comments and likes.   I'm sorting out this part of the planking with a planking fan and some thinking was the best way to mass produce tapered planks.   

Dave,

Given the number of bulkheads in the bow, no need to add filler blocks, just careful fairing.  This kit is very good, IMHO.  Minimal tools and most of the hard work as compared to other kits and scratch has been done for the builder.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Thanks for following along, everyone.

More of a proof of life and just a minor update after a busy week.  I took my planking fan and sorted out how the strips need to be shaped.  Then started gluing them with school white glue together in stacks of 15.  Once the glue dried, I shaped each stack with my mini belt sander and once done, put them in water to soak and be separated.  I've started planking. About 6 strakes so far on each side.  A bit of luck and the first layer should be ready for sanding either tomorrow night or Monday.  I'm believing I'll have to do minor filler after sanding. <fingers crossed)

1-24.thumb.JPG.8855b47bbae6c5879f068b62b0c61e28.JPG1-25.thumb.JPG.ff2d20dce4dd886088817fac4198cfc6.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Update.   The hull has it's first planking in place.  Well, almost.  I just ripped off two planks on the side not shown due to them coming loose.  A bit of re-glue will fix and then tomorrow I'll start sanding.   I believe that what happened was I wasn't as careful lining off the hull and the errors magnified themselves by the time I got to the keel.   Lesson learned, sharper pencil and more patience needed.

1-26.thumb.JPG.5da1f137d0a2b971661b3ba809ba92be.JPG1-27.thumb.JPG.2e2e6e9bf139c54bc2889a8c762f934d.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

55 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

I wasn't as careful lining off the hull and the errors magnified themselves by the time I got to the keel.   Lesson learned, sharper pencil and more patience needed.

Nothing that a bit of filler and a good sanding won't fix, Mark. She's coming along nicely!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild