HMS Sphinx 1775 by mtaylor - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Thanks for the likes and comments.   

I've started sanding and will take my time and not rush it.  I know I'll have gap fill but I'm ready for that.

On this step as Willie Nelson would say:  "It's been fun and it's been real.  But it ain't been real fun.".    On the bright side, it was a good lesson to re-learn on first planking.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Port side is pretty much done sanding.  Feels smooth to the touch.  Lessons re-learned....  do a better job planking.  Maybe add some filler between bulkheads in any area with curves (bow mainly).   Now to start the starboard side.  I may rip off a few planks and re-lay them.  Note to self... check and re-sand and recheck again the stern transom area.

1-28.thumb.JPG.43b54b4df5ecea36d244ab00cd5e19b0.JPG1-29.thumb.JPG.f96098d62ae4b8afde7830720db3aaa1.JPG1-30.JPG.ef3288f04fbaa6283f86e25cccb64459.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Starboard side is done.   Did the finger test* on both sides and I'm pretty happy.  I also trimmed up the stern area, fitted the counter to test and it's now soaking to be bent and secured into place.   I'll pull the blue tape off tomorrow.1--31.thumb.JPG.d892774dcf06d464e68539fbdc8d8bea.JPG1-32.thumb.JPG.12424bacd659e5b31f5a72eeb4536835.JPG

*Finger test:  close eyes, run finger tips over hull.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Excellent work Mark,   getting the first done is such a mile stone   - and those  counter bends   "dont get me started"     you are doing superb my friend.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Not that much done today but enough.. a bit more work later to be done later this evening.

The counter has been soaked and pinned (but not glued).  I wondering if this in right position .  Feels (mentally) like I"m too far astern and it needs to in the direction of the arrow.1-33.thumb.JPG.ef1fa8001661b9c3719cbba9ca6e4e05.JPG1-34.thumb.JPG.775ab03c3f957f6a5bc038ef04e043a3.JPG1-35.thumb.JPG.6a93dcb7445878247f26c8b08721cc2b.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

I guess  you have some  freedom  with the counter  as the second planking and the counters first  could join  covering any  gaps or  profile.

I might be wrong but thats  how it looks like it might work Mark.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

It is important to get the position of the lower counter pattern correct. I set mine a bit too low, your looks well positioned which is good.

When I do this stage again I will dry fit the parts of the quarter gallery so I know where the quarter gallery berthing pattern will be positioned. I will then dry fit the upper counter pattern and stern fascia patterns as the berthing pattern needs to be aligned with the upper counter pattern and the stern fascial pattern needs to be 2mm above the transom. When this has been checked the correct position of the lower counter pattern will be known.

Glenn (UK)

Thanks, Glenn.   I think I've got the right position at this point or at least "close".

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Tonite's update.  I appreciate the likes and helpful comments.  Not pulling my hair out yet nor reaching for a stiff adult beverage.  The keel parts have been "skinned" and stern built up with it's skins.   I took some time and removed as much char as I could (stayed in my comfort zone) without overdoing it.  Since I'm not planning on painting the white stuff I thought this would help the appearance.  If Murphy rears his ugly head, I may change my mind.  And yes, there's a few spots where the fairing of the planking went too far and had to be "patched".

1-36.thumb.JPG.57e8068a76bb545b04fdb729db56fbb9.JPG

1-37.thumb.JPG.96f2c93f129081fcdf44c2d5d7243591.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Not much to report as have had "other" things going on.   I am working still on the skins.  The top ones are in and the lower ones are works in progress.  But then I took a pic today while glue was drying....   title it "you can't have too many clamps".  I don't have enough and the hardware store I visited was out.   

1-38.thumb.JPG.7fe2c0980d204bb7bc591c6e03017855.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

That is a 'Blast from the past' I didn't know they still made wooden pegs. I thought every thing was made in plastic these days.Second planking is looking great! Dis you lay the first one at the top and work your way down or by the position of the pegs it looks to be the other way round?

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

26 minutes ago, DaveBaxt said:

That is a 'Blast from the past' I didn't know they still made wooden pegs. I thought every thing was made in plastic these days.Second planking is looking great! Dis you lay the first one at the top and work your way down or by the position of the pegs it looks to be the other way round?

he;s only started the 2nd planking - first you need to put the 2 laser-engraved pieces on each side which for the bulwarks and wales, then you plank from below deck level

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64

15 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Not much to report as have had "other" things going on.   I am working still on the skins.  The top ones are in and the lower ones are works in progress.  But then I took a pic today while glue was drying....   title it "you can't have too many clamps".  I don't have enough and the hardware store I visited was out.   

1-38.thumb.JPG.7fe2c0980d204bb7bc591c6e03017855.JPG

And we are hoarding clamps as well!😁

Please, visit our Facebook page!

Respectfully

Per aka Dr. Per@Therapy for Shipaholics 
593661798_Keepitreal-small.jpg.f8a2526a43b30479d4c1ffcf8b37175a.jpg

Finished: T37, BB Marie Jeanne - located on a shelf in Sweden, 18th Century Longboat, Winchelsea Capstan

Current: America by Constructo, Solö Ruff, USS Syren by MS, Bluenose by MS

Viking funeral: Harley almost a Harvey

Nautical Research Guild Member - 'Taint a hobby if you gotta hurry

Thanks for the comments and likes.   

14 hours ago, DaveBaxt said:

.Second planking is looking great! Dis you lay the first one at the top and work your way down or by the position of the pegs it looks to be the other way round?

Jacek is correct.  I've just finished the first two laser cut/carved pieces.  If you'll go to Chris's website, the instruction might still be there to download as a pdf.   

4 hours ago, Nirvana said:

And we are hoarding clamps as well!😁

Hoarding? Not hardly.   LOL.  

Here's were I am today.  The first two planking sheets are installed.  I would have done more but life got in the way this week.  Hopefully will pick up speed and ambition starting today.

Here's a photo of the current state.   

1-39.thumb.JPG.56e4b52ef324dc9b024f211ef3a5ead9.JPG

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Your model is really taking shape, Mark, and it's going to be special when you have her all done. Nice work!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks for likes and comments.   This really is a fun project.

BTW, I just found out that you can bend the thin stuff without soaking it which warps the wood.  I fire up my "plank bender" which is an 88W curling iron and moving the piece back and forth on the iron will bend the second planking nicely and no need to put in water.   Win-win.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Back 10 and punt time...   I've lined the hull off for planking and realized an "oops" at the counter.   One side of the counter (actually not the whole side, just part of it) extends "above" (hull upside down) about a smidgen... maybe not much but it's bugging me.  I think a bit paint when I do the wales and paint will hide it but I may just remove the counters and reglue them.  

Also sorting out my wood choices for the 2nd layer.. pear from the kit, swiss pear from my stock, or just do the pear and paint.  Decisions, decisions.   And there's a few areas which need spot filling.  Digging out the sawdust and glue.....

One question.... was "white stuff" actually pure white?   I thought I read somewhere it actually a very pale yellow.   

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

42 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

Back 10 and punt time...   I've lined the hull off for planking and realized an "oops" at the counter.   One side of the counter (actually not the whole side, just part of it) extends "above" (hull upside down) about a smidgen... maybe not much but it's bugging me.  I think a bit paint when I do the wales and paint will hide it but I may just remove the counters and reglue them.  

Also sorting out my wood choices for the 2nd layer.. pear from the kit, swiss pear from my stock, or just do the pear and paint.  Decisions, decisions.   And there's a few areas which need spot filling.  Digging out the sawdust and glue.....

One question.... was "white stuff" actually pure white?   I thought I read somewhere it actually a very pale yellow.   

Do you mean the colour paint white used in the time  Mark?       I thought according to Admiralty Paints  it was a Dull Off White.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

2 hours ago, mtaylor said:

actually a very pale yellow. 

No idea what the real white stuff looked like, but pale yellow would look sickly on a model in my opinion. I use Admiralty’s Paints Matt White on my hulls, for whatever reason Admiralty’s Dull White doesn’t cover well over large surfaces. Odd considering how well Dull Black does. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

52 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

No idea what the real white stuff looked like, but pale yellow would look sickly on a model in my opinion. I use Admiralty’s Paints Matt White on my hulls, for whatever reason Admiralty’s Dull White doesn’t cover well over large surfaces. Odd considering how well Dull Black does. 

Mine needed several coats  to cover  smoothly.

OC.

Current builds  

Completed works.

Thanks for the comments and likes.

I'm holding off on the paint for now.  I'm going to use the swiss pear I have for planking as it's more uniform and a tad darker in color than the kit provided wood.  If things turn south and I'm not happy with the wood... fill and paint will be the order of the day.

Back to the second layer of planking......

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mine are too even if it does make it tough to work.   bth_my_fingers.gif.58bf91e758b8ee47f5f25d66c940f7e1.gif

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

very nice indeed i will have a look through @James H and see what white he used

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat