Erycina by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Plymouth Ketch-Rigged Trawler - protoype build

Erycina was a Plymouth Ketch-Rigged Trawler, launched as a cutter in 1882 and converted to a Ketch in 1894. This is one of three next subjects from Vanguard Models, following on from their previous Fifie and Zulu fishers. I'll be starting build logs for the other fishers when I'm ready. One of those, Nisha, will be built concurrently with this one. Out of Erycina and Nisha, Erycina is the large one, as you'll see from a cut test prototype in a photo below. Again, construction is an MDF core, with lime/pear planking and an engraved maple deck. There will be sail sets available for these.

Here is Erycina!

Screenshot-2021-08-31-at-20.00.44.jpg

Here's some photos of the initial test prototype which is refined to make the production parts. Erycina is of course the larger vessel:

235853576_10159495387642389_3735805008399680738_n.jpg

238691688_10159495387537389_1116496425833923376_n.jpg

236058059_10159495387547389_4334065285949249985_n.jpg

My HMS Sphinx is now in the last days of work, so I'll be taking a day or so off afterwards to indulge in my PlayStation5 and mindless killing in Assassin's Creed, then work on this will begin. Until then, here are the parts (minus planks).

DSC_8763.jpg

DSC_8764.jpg

DSC_8765.jpg

DSC_8767.jpg

More when I have it ;) 

Work on this is progressing swiftly, especially when you consider that I've not got to the same stage with Nisha over the last couple of days.

All photos are from the manual, but here I've done no re-cropping, but simply resized the originals for MSW.

Both of these new fishers are designed to be very simple to build and there's actually less planking involved than the Zulu and Fifie. Construction is very much the same, with similar stern timbers as seen on Sphinx. In fact, these also have the little safety gates that strengthen the parts until you can safely remove them. 

1.jpeg

5.jpeg

Just a small selection of the SIXTEEN bulkheads on this little model. You can see that bevelling lines are also included. 

7.jpeg

A Dremel is used to make short work of these. In fact, it took only 30 mins to bevel all parts on this model.

8.jpeg

9.jpeg

The keel. Note that all slots are numbered too, so you really shouldn't get the positions of individual bulkheads wrong! All bulkheads are dry-slotted into the keel.

10.jpeg

14.jpeg

The bearding parts are now bevelled and fitted into position. These are also pinned into the keel to ensure the correct positions.

16.jpeg

17.jpeg

20.jpeg

21.jpeg

The lower deck serves the purpose of simply holding the bulkheads in position and also for masts etc. that will plug down into it. This is now slotted into position, again without glue. Note that engravings show which is the front and TOP.

23.jpeg

24.jpeg

Four bulkheads into which the lower deck were slotted, are now filled in with these pieces that strengthen the overall skeleton. These are glued into place.

27.jpeg

28.jpeg

The longitudinal deck beams are now dry-slotted into place. Builders of the other VM kits will be familiar with this approach. 

30.jpeg

Midship bulkhead doublers are now glued to either side of bulkhead #9.

33.jpeg

The stern timbers are now slotted into position, 3 on either side of keel, and these are identified with INNER, MIDDLE and OUTER engravings. 

34.jpeg

39.jpeg

The hull is now turned over and a slightly diluted Titebond is brushed into the joints. As this model has so many interlocking joints, this is a good approach to take so you know glue won't be setting are you're working through the hull. It also gives you some time to make sure everything is to your liking before committing to glue. The hull is now left a couple of hours for the glue to penetrate and set.

40.jpeg

41.jpeg

The ply deck is now fitted, engraved face upwards. This just needs to bend slightly to lock into the bulkhead ears at one side before snapping down into the other side. No amendment is needed at all here and the deck lies perfectly flat over all bulkheads. Not even any sanding of the sheer is needed before fitting! Small clamps are used to hold the rear deck down onto the stern timbers. Next up is fairing and planking.

44.jpeg

More soon....

Another masterpiece from the james and chris duo

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

5 hours ago, James H said:

You can see that bevelling lines are also included. 

5 hours ago, James H said:

A Dremel is used to make short work of these. In fact, it took only 30 mins to bevel all parts on this model.

Having these beveling lined included is so helpful as it takes away a lot of the uncertainty of roughly beveling the bulkheads and the bearding line off the model before the final fairing. Is there any particular reason that these lines are not included in the larger Vanguard models like the Flirt and the Sphinx?

Also, what are the overall dimensions of these wonderful models?

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

53 minutes ago, BobG said:

Having these beveling lined included is so helpful as it takes away a lot of the uncertainty of roughly beveling the bulkheads and the bearding line off the model before the final fairing. Is there any particular reason that these lines are not included in the larger Vanguard models like the Flirt and the Sphinx?

Also, what are the overall dimensions of these wonderful models?

I think with Sphinx taking a full day to produce, adding more to it wouldn't be beneficial (especially in cost to the customer), plus it's sort of reckoned that if you are building at Sphinx level, that you can work out any rough bevelling quite easily. The manual does show that bevelling, so the builder isn't really in the dark, so to speak. 

Ok, dimensions:

Erycina, with masts and bowsprit is 525mm long x 379mm high

Nisha, with masts etc. is 387mm long x 311mm high

8 hours ago, James H said:

Erycina, with masts and bowsprit is 525mm long x 379mm high

Nisha, with masts etc. is 387mm long x 311mm high

These smaller models are a welcome addition to the Vanguard line. I've always admired the realism that a very good diorama can add to the display of a model and I would like to try and make a diorama someday. One of these working fishing boats could be a really good choice for a heavily weathered model set in a rugged, North Sea diorama. 

Edited by BobG

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

• 2 weeks later...

I can’t tell you how excited I am for these kits!  I just love the look of these working craft, and I can’t wait to build them so they can take a place next to my Zulu.  

Erik K. Evens

Architect and sailor

Evens Architects

Currently building:  Brig Sloop HMS Flirt - Vanguard Models

Completed"Lady Isabella" Scottish Fishing Zulu - Vanguard Models

I am expecting the sample sail sets for both Nisha and Erycina within the next two weeks. Once I have them, I will post over to Jim.

Plans will show drawings for both rigged with and without sails. (There are 15 A1 sized plan sheets for Erycina, and am now working on plan sets for Nisha..)

logo.jpg
Vanguard Models on Facebook

• 1 month later...

I've been following this build with great anticipation as I'm tired of decks filled with guns. While following I became interested in the Vanguard kit of the zula Lady Isabella. Not knowing about drifters and especially Scottish drifters caused me to web search drifters. Being my wife is of Scottish heritage as her mother was born in Kilmarnock drifters consumed me so much I ordered the Lady Isabella kit. I just wanted to take the time to tell all and thank Chris for the OUTSTANDING service and looking at the kit it is evident why others rave about his kits. I ordered my kit on November 2 and it arrived on November 5. What is amazing is I live in Gilbert Arizona and that's 3 day from the UK.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Work has been ploughing on with Erycina, alongside Nisha. The masts for both are actually built, but I'll post those on the next and final update for both logs.

Again, fairing the hull is one of the single most important prep stages. Take time to get this right! Erycina has 16 bulkheads, so there's plenty of real estate for your planks to plonk onto.

48.jpeg

The three part inner 2mm keel is now fitted.

50.jpeg

Erycina's bulwarks are in halves, and this makes them nice and easy to fit. Align the bulwark so the lower engraved line is at deck height. Add all 4 sections and let dry.

55a.jpeg

Like Nisha, a lower counter is used to attain the shape needed for this nippy little boat.

59.jpeg

60.jpeg

61.jpeg

All planking that butts up to the counter, is added as halves. It's just easier that way so you don't get any gaps.

66.jpeg

The stern board is added. Note the engraved lines which perfectly line up with the stern timbers.

68.jpeg

69.jpeg

Preparation is ALL!

70.jpeg

The outer counter is now fitted, and the outer keel facings fitted. The latter creates the rabbet for the second layer of planks. 

72.jpeg

81a.jpeg

83.jpeg

The second layer starts with the outer pear bulwarks. With these in place, the lower hull can be planked.

85.jpeg

A small bevel to the lower underside of the stern frame, and it fits great!

90.jpeg

91.jpeg

Time for those MDF bits to go. These are twisted off and sanded flush.

93.jpeg

The only thing I needed to do to get the laser engraved deck to fit was to remove the edge char. It was then glued into position.

96.jpeg

97.jpeg

87.jpeg

As with Nisha, the inner bulwarks are engraved with timberhead positions, with the first being 'A'. The pre-cut timberheads just need cleaning up and the bottom bevelled accordingly.

99a.jpeg

99c.jpeg

More fitting out as the stern 'bench' is fitted. 

106.jpeg

Where timberheads are fitted with a rail, they are adjoined with a temporary beam which makes sure the spacings are correct for these. Once in place and dry, the beam can be snipped away.

107.jpeg

A sanding stick makes short work of neatening up the tops of the bulwarks, levelling them in relation to each other.

109.jpeg

Before the gunwales are fitted, the model is masked and the upper bulwarks airbrushed in green.

112.jpeg

Gunwales now fitted.

116.jpeg

Before we splash some real colour onto the hull, a waterline is first added which runs along the top line of the white boot.

119.jpeg

Prep is king here as the hull is filled and sanded. Any imperfections are fixed. A coat of primer is added and it that shows anything further, that is also fixed until I'm happy with the result. This could take all day to do but it's worth the effort.

125.jpeg

After a final coat of white, 3mm flexible tape is added along the edge of the masking and the hull then sprayed in red oxide. When even and dry, all tape is removed.

126.jpeg

127.jpeg

🐟 enter here ➡️

134.jpeg

135.jpeg

Stairway to heaven.

141.jpeg

142.jpeg

And a nice companionway to gimme shelter.

155.jpeg

156.jpeg

Main sheet housing assembly.

164b.jpeg

Beautiful work, James.  I'm impressed by how well your masking went.  You must have had the 3mm tape absolutely perfect to avoid bleeding of the red paint at the top of the white.  Good job!.  How is the lettering done?  Did it come with the kit or was it something you added?

Current Build:

HMS Winchelsea 1:48 (Group Project)

Completed Builds:

Virginia 1819 Artesania Latina - 1:41 

15 minutes ago, Matt D said:

Beautiful work, James.  I'm impressed by how well your masking went.  You must have had the 3mm tape absolutely perfect to avoid bleeding of the red paint at the top of the white.  Good job!.  How is the lettering done?  Did it come with the kit or was it something you added?

Lettering and stern nameplates are waterslide decals, I had Eduard produce them for me, so they are included in the kits (Erycina and Nisha)

logo.jpg

The main sail housing is now fitted. All of these items have either engraved lines or slots for fitting.

166.jpeg

After priming, all the 3D parts were painted in green, to match Erycina's outer bulwark. You can use whatever colour you like, but this sort of green was quite common for the period.

167b.jpeg

167b.jpeg

And of course, the steam winch. This is exactly the same sort fitted to Nisha.

168.jpeg

173.jpeg

182.jpeg

184.jpeg

Deck fittings ongoing.

193.jpeg

194.jpeg

199.jpeg

200.jpeg

Three chimneys on this one, as opposed to two on Nisha. This one is quite a bit larger than Nisha, and looks more purposeful, in my opinion. Both are quite beautiful though. 

202.jpeg

204.jpeg

212.jpeg

213a.jpeg

213b.jpeg

IMG_0633.jpeg

The next log entry here will be the last for Erycina, in around a week.

Great work James. The finish you did with the planking is amazing. Airbrush painting without planking lines and imperfections is an art you've mastered.

Couple of questions:

Before we splash some real colour onto the hull, a waterline is first added which runs along the top line of the white boot. I'm not familiar with the term "white boot" help please

When masking for the red oxide did you first use 3mm flex tape to follow the waterline and then sections of wider tape to cover the balance? After that did you add 3mm flex tape adjacent to the earlier 3mm tape to create the white waterline stripe?

Your technique is very impressive and the results are amazing.

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

5 minutes ago, niwotwill said:

Great work James. The finish you did with the planking is amazing. Airbrush painting without planking lines and imperfections is an art you've mastered.

Couple of questions:

Before we splash some real colour onto the hull, a waterline is first added which runs along the top line of the white boot. I'm not familiar with the term "white boot" help please

When masking for the red oxide did you first use 3mm flex tape to follow the waterline and then sections of wider tape to cover the balance? After that did you add 3mm flex tape adjacent to the earlier 3mm tape to create the white waterline stripe?

Your technique is very impressive and the results are amazing.

Yes, the hull was primed and painted white, then the flex tape was run along the waterline, just under the masking tape. That kept the strip white while I sprayed red oxide onto hull.

These are wonderful additions to the Vanguard line of models! It's so nice to see some new models of these types of hard working vessels. They are too often overlooked in favor of the more elaborate and popular warships. Keep'em coming!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

There is certainly more to these than the Fifie and Zulu, even the diminutive Nisha has already surpassed those in page count for the main manual, and have not even finished that yet!

Just because they're smaller doesn't mean they have less fidelity of detail, and because they may attract more beginners also doesn't mean corners being cut to keep prices down (the market is already awash with such products). They will not be the cheapest 'first or second kit' on the market, but I bet most will enjoy building them and, more importantly, finish them, before giving up in frustration. This is why everything is so important, from the materials and fit of parts, to the very important manual.

Love what Jim has done with the livery of these!

logo.jpg

she looks fantastic

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Forgot to mention, all laser cut sheets for this and Nisha have the part numbers etched next to each part. Not on the PE sheets though, as space was way too tight. (numbers would have had to be so small in order to fit, they would have been next to invisible)

Also, the bulkhead tabs now taper inwards, going up, to make the fitting of the ply sub deck easier (less bending) - and for the bottom edge of each keel, there is a slot (hidden once the pear outer keel rabbet patterns are fitted) to locate to a tab on the rear cradle. This ensures the model sits at the correct angle, and also ensures the hull doesn't slide down the stand, as both are angled relative to waterline.

logo.jpg