HMS Endeavour by Bikermart - Billings Boats - 1:50

This is my first attempt at a build log, though not my first build.

The first pic shows the first frame in place on the keel in my home-spun 'building jig'.

I promise that the pictures will get better!

IMG_1943.JPG

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

The bulkheads are fixed in place.

Fit and finish of the laser-cut parts is pretty good so far.

Thanks to all who have contributed tutorials on planking hulls. Unlike my previous builds, where hulls have been filled, sanded smooth and painted, this one will have the planks exposed. I am determined to do the planking properly!

IMG_1944.JPG

IMG_1945.JPG

Finished: Billings Nordkap / Billings Boulogne Etaples / Billings Evelyn / Billings Elbjorn

In progress: Billings HMS Endeavour / Billings HMS Bounty / Caldercraft HMS Pickle / Amati HMS Vanguard / Caldercraft HMS Victory / Caldercraft HMS Badger / Caldercraft HMS Diana / Caldercraft HMS Snake / Amati HMS Pegasus

In the dim distant past: Model Slipway Wyeforce / Mountfleet Models Boston Typhoon (abandoned build) / Bluejacket Charles P. Notman (abandoned)

Remaining hull formers are in place and sub-decks are installed.

I plan to follow Allan Tyler's advice and plank the decks before fairing the bulkheads and planking the hull.

No big issues so far although some 2mmx7mm strip wood was missing from the kit. Fortunately, I had some on had from previous builds.

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1946.JPG

Looking good so far and as I am also building the Endeavour but made by Caldercraft I would therefore  like to follow your progress if I may. I am also doing a blog do feel free to take a look. I am just about completed the second planking so not too far ahead of you. I look forward to see your future progress. Good luck and keep up the good work. Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Follow along by all means!

I chose the Billings kit because of familiarity with the brand. I don't know that my skills - or patience! - would allow me to do justice to models from, say, Caldercraft or Amati. Cases in point are a past attempt at building 'Boston Typhoon' from Mountfleet Models and 'Charles P. Notman' from Bluejacket. The former was sold in an unfinished state. The latter has languished on a shelf for 3 years. However, with renewed enthusiasm, I am determined to complete her and will start a build log for her in due course.

12 hours ago, BikerMart said:

Follow along by all means!

I chose the Billings kit because of familiarity with the brand. I don't know that my skills - or patience! - would allow me to do justice to models from, say, Caldercraft or Amati. Cases in point are a past attempt at building 'Boston Typhoon' from Mountfleet Models and 'Charles P. Notman' from Bluejacket. The former was sold in an unfinished state. The latter has languished on a shelf for 3 years. However, with renewed enthusiasm, I am determined to complete her and will start a build log for her in due course.

I am currently building my 3 rd model and only my second period ship. My first ship was also a Billings model but found the Instructions and drawings very sparse. I managed to finish the HMS Bounty by Amati and like you did a blog . I got lots of help and incouragement of the members on here and would not of finished her  otherwise. I also asked numerous questions and have redone parts more than I would care to admit. But eventually I got there.I look forward to your progress which I am sure will be a help to us all. It is always interesting to see what the differences are between the kits for the same ship.Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

• 2 weeks later...

Back to work after a brief break camping in Interlochen State Park

Decks are planked and a couple of coats of satin varnish have been applied, rubbed down after each with very fine steel wool.

Then the ply bulwarks have been added to act as a template of sorts for the fairing of the hull, which is now a work in progress.

The Billings instructions indicate that some parts are to be painted red - but I understand that red was only used on fighting ships?? So I am going to use a mahogany stain on most of the wooden pieces such as capstan and inside of the bulwarks.

IMG_1953.JPG

IMG_1954.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

9 planks in place so far, and some filler added to the upper works that are to be painted blue.

IMG_1957.thumb.JPG.4bef8612b6713f51129bcb5b445b015c.JPG

IMG_1958.JPG

• 2 months later...

Sanding and the white paint covers the 'steps' in the lower hull.

Note to self: Don't get glue on the surface of the planks because stain won't penetrate if you do.

IMG_1972.thumb.JPG.c1d8e76796f1f2b6d156dad40e9f6137.JPG