New Workshop Bench Height ??

Hi Guys - I have taken possession of 4.2 x 3.5metres of our tandem garage by "force majeur" for a man cave the end of which I will close off with a Stud wall.

I have potentially 10 metres + of bench space after subtracting for a door, a free standing Band saw and a desk and would appreciate some advice as to how to calculate a good bench height to mix and match the rest of my bench tools if your experience suggests differing heights are desirable for the different activities.  

Seeking to place - Byrnes table saw & thickness sander, Proxxon - 230 lathe, MF 70 Mill and scroll saw - Bench disc and belt sander Ryobi Bench Drill Press and 150mm bench grinder. Your thoughts would be much appreciated.

Should say I'm not height challenged at 6ft 1 and a range for various activities would be fine.

Cheers Pete

Edited by PeteB

Hi Pete - I've just measured my bench height for you and it stands at 900mm high.  I have found this to be a good height for me to work at building my ship and also for my power tools too.

The only tool that I have found that I use lower is my thickness sander.  I place this on a metal cupboard that is 670mm high as I like to be over the top of this tool when I'm using it.  I'm sure that I'm just talking about personal preference here which we all obviously have.  I'm 5' 8" tall and this works well for me.

Good luck with the new man cave as we all need one at some point in our lives.

I'm am height challenged at 5' 6" and am getting old and have back issues bending over a bench for any length of time 😀.

My garage already had 2 large fixed benches when we bought the house, so that was good. However as I move towards retirement, I am building new benches. My plan is to 

• Make a few small free standing benches (with storage underneath). This will allow for flexibility, especially when we move to a smaller home.
  • Fairly low and not too deep. I'm expecting to sit while working a lot more.
  • Build some "blocks" as needed to raise tools to a height that works - after using for a time. 
  • Buy a good height adjustable stool.

I already built a small wheeled "cart" for my Byrnes saw, this enables me to move it out of the way when not needed. I will do the same for the thickness sander when it's purchased. 

My 2 cents, especially since everyone's work area is so personal. 

3 hours ago, No Idea said:

Good luck with the new man cave as we all need one at some point in our lives.

We do. Recommended reading "A Shed of One's Own" by Marcus Berkmann.

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

One of the problems I find is how the heights of tools vary. For example I have a scroll saw with a table and a spindle sander also with table - about 8" higher than the saw. 

And while we're talking about annoyances, I have 5 power tools with 4 different sizes of dust port. 

Edited by RichardG

Richard

Current Build: Early 19th Century US Revenue Cutter (Artesania Latina "Dallas" - messed about)

Completed Build: Yakatabune - Japanese - Woody Joe mini

Member: Nautical Research Guild & Midwest Model Shipwrights

16 hours ago, No Idea said:

The only tool that I have found that I use lower is my thickness sander.  I place this on a metal cupboard that is 670mm high as I like to be over the top of this tool when I'm using it

Thanks for that just what I was after, any specials I should consider. Many thanks

12 hours ago, RichardG said:

We do. Recommended reading "A Shed of One's Own" by Marcus Berkmann.

Thanks for your comments Richard - put the book on my Library Order in list, though reading a review leads me to think I should have read it 20 years ago to ease into old age where I now find myself. Cheers

7 hours ago, grsjax said:

I am one of the height challenged at 5'7".  I find a bench height of 30" works well for sitting and one 36" for standing. 

I now regret  mentioning the height challenged - my apologies grsjax . Thanks for your input its much appreciated. Cheers.

5 hours ago, RichardG said:

One of the problems I find is how the heights of tools vary. For example I have a scroll saw with a table and a spindle sander also with table - about 8" higher than the saw.

The various tool heights had been in my mind before posting. 

5 hours ago, RichardG said:

And while we're talking about annoyances, I have 5 power tools with 4 different sizes of dust port

I hear what you are saying I was mulling having to join various pvc tube myself until I discovered these adapters at our local hardware

1742525175_Dustportadapters.jpg.aeb0de03b236bc915c04aad5c2454c05.jpg

I've set up a temp bench this morning and find around 950mm or 38"in the old money looks like it would be ok for general joinery and hull work  using the lathe mill and disc sander but as @no idea pointed out the thickness sander and table saw might benefit from being a bit lower. So I think Ill set up the first bench at 950mm and trial some lower benches heights before the final fix the two others on the stud wall side.  

Thank you all for responding - nice to have the benefit of your experience. Stay safe and happy modelling.

Cheers Pete

I am virtually always seated when working, but then I have only miniature machines.

When considering the height of benches for machines, one has to consider from which angle you would be mostly looking at the work, so that one can watch both, the surface worked on as well as the cutting tool (this being a lathe tool, saw blade, abrasive disc, etc.).

When working seated on details, one may want to consider also arm-rests as e.g. jewellers use in order to relieve your back from bringing your hands up to eye-level for prolonged periods of time.

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg