HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

On 12/29/2022 at 8:24 AM, Thukydides said:

the best thing to do is play around with the proportions

Thanks, good information and explanation. After the initial mix I do add a little water from time to time as it starts to thinning in the paint jar, just a touch.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

• 2 weeks later...

Main Deck

I had a great holiday season with my family, I hope all of you did as well. So after a lot of “time off” from the workshop I guess its back to work - at least until I head off to Patagonia next month for the 2020 photography trip that, paid for then, can finally happen.

926140251_Post32-0421.jpg.bb8834ba8b2fcc697488d80fa749b437.jpg

Time to make the coamings and gratings. The coamings are laser cut and a lot quicker and easier than making them scratch as I did on Cheerful. I got this RPToolz cutter after seeing it on James’ Indy build page. I’ve had my Chopper for years, this cutter though makes much more precise cuts, they don’t require a post cut visit to the sander. They’ll both have a home in my workshop, can’t ever have too many ways to cut stuff.

1315202662_Post32-0420.jpg.a01a29c9d88826854d27755b37fd8a09.jpg

Here they are assembled and loosely positioned. The char removal wasn’t as essential beyond shaping and removing the crust since I’m painting the black. I’m using my favorite Admiralty Paints Ironworks Black, which as I’ve noted in earlier posts works nicely in providing a matte look to wood. I only used three coats with 600 grit sanding between coats as it covers well.

664478544_Post32-0419.jpg.8300430628073a9571f31533423bfe4b.jpg

1076515153_Post32-0440.jpg.f51a8aa742eea90845814e366ea73cd1.jpg

The gratings are easy to initially assemble using Chuck’s kit and jig but that’s just the beginning - I did a good deal of sanding to get the two crossed layers much thinner. The left is as assembled, the middle is sanded and coated with WOP, I then lightly sanded it once more for the finished look shown on the right. 

1300633015_Post32-0430.jpg.61ba4acad68985d2fda1283a4fe2464f.jpg

Next up was the partners. Once assembled including #2 pencil to simulate caulking off to the mill to drill bolt holes. Not a fast process but an accurate one, as long as I didn’t loose track of the turns of the axis wheels, 1mm, 2mm, 3mm……… While I had the main mast partner on the mill I included the holes for eight eyelets that will come later. It pays to look ahead in the monolog (and at all the wonderful build logs so much further along than I am).

1233468937_Post32-0438.jpg.f6401c9cb474c66a88fe26bc49b94da2.jpg

After I’m done building models I really need to consider deep sea fishing. Per Chuck’s recommendation I have black monofilament fishing line in multiple weights, it’s something you can’t buy just a little of. Here I used 20 weight for the capstan partners and 15 for the fore and main partners. It really does work perfectly, easy to install with PVA and a nice crisp look once flush cut (no shiny silver or crushed look that might happen with wire).

1889239618_Post32-0442.jpg.5409cb932c4c4fd6a609c39be2eef717.jpg

800723070_Post32-0444.jpg.ae189a5d348657ef3e9b3a80139d30a5.jpg

1526862865_Post32-0445.jpg.b41c7cf1fd3f97e03916a23bf49f0c51.jpg

1551687059_Post32-0441.jpg.117a9d3de1d66feb6ef052441446d673.jpg

So with the first phase of the main deck complete and loosely dry-fitted here I’m ready to plank the deck beginning with the center pieces. It won’t take as long as the hull, but it will take a long while.

Thanks for looking in, your likes and comments are always appreciated. So many good Winchelsea builds to see and enjoy.

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Looks great Glenn, you’re coamings look nice and straight, off to a good start. The center planking definitely requires a lot of patience, many angles and widths but as you already know, it will pay dividends in the end.

All those fun tools you have on your shop, I need to up my game!

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

I really do like the care and attention you are putting into Winnie! Stunning work, as I've come to expect from you Glenn 😉

I'm in agreement with Scrubby, about upping my game in the tools department 😊

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

22 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

The center planking definitely requires a lot of patience,

Thanks, I have them all glued in place now. I feel like l’m back in the doldrums of planking though I’m sure the deck won’t take as long as the hull. So many angles…

Regards,

Glenn

22 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

I really do like the care and attention you are putting into Winnie!

Thank you.  I drive myself crazy sometimes, obsessing over 1mm variances. 🤪

Regards,

Glenn

I look forward to seeing more pics of the deck planking Glenn.
So far it looks very good.
The center belt and the binding planks are challenging
but then it's quite fast.

Dusan

Currently building:

HMS Winchelsea 1764 by westwood - 1:48

Revenge 1577 - by westwood - 1:64

In preparation:

Fourth-rate ship 1681 - 1:48

Glenn I was struck by your comment about being obsessed with fit. It reminded me of a tour i took some years back of the Stickley furniture manufacturing in Syracuse NY. They make some of the best furniture in the NE. In production of their goods I noticed some pieces being shuttled out of line and put aside. It was related that they did not meet some intermediate requirement. When pressed the tour guide took me over to one of the pieces. He pointed to a joint that was not closed. Yes it was noticable but I could not have gotten a finger nail in that joint. In the finishing area I found a similar piece and there it was being dealt with. The joint was diappearing before my eyes with the deft work of the detailer.

The lesson for me was they didn't start over yet the end result was still a beautiful piece. Harder at these diminuitive scales, of course, but the end is still a masterpiece!

Joe

1 hour ago, Thistle17 said:

they didn't start over

But they did correct it 😊

Regards,

Glenn

3 hours ago, westwood said:

The center belt and the binding planks are challenging

Thanks. It’s all fun, one way or another 😊

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Main Deck

The center belt of main deck planking is a process requiring precision and patience. Making those first cuts around the coamings is very enjoyable, its when I’m making the same ones over again for the third, or more, times it gets a bit less so. Did I mention patience.

1732288948_Post33-0453.jpg.37845fcf9465f763ff0bb53e290aa8aa.jpg

The first step was spending a good deal of time making sure of the center plank alignment. Filling the remaining six rows between the coamings and partners was straightforward enough, a process made easier by my new cutter. With its sharp thin blade and with its ability to make precise angled and length cuts I was able to quickly make consistent angles (one arbitrarily chosen to visually match plans….sorta).

98977715_Post33-0457.jpg.48bf811d2b4fd87e83ca26f6c38bf436.jpg

1159389830_Post33-0458.jpg.7751dfbeeb63386454cc22e0d06d10c9.jpg

1065606928_Post33-0459.jpg.edf612a312c494166802a1d43c3c85a7.jpg

With the old cutter making set lengths and the new cutter set for the angles filling between deck furnishings all went smoothly completing the first seven rows. I made three of the angled planks for each space, two for the deck and one for the next step.

1414167653_Post33-0506.jpg.4393302a2e3b7f1e056b8a6c401e2d63.jpg

After a good deal of fumbling about to match up the the tabs between the seventh and eighth rows I kind of tripled down on a process. I started with a card template cut to match, made adjustments to it after making a practice cut on a scrap plank, used those two plus the third piece I’d made earlier to check and make the final cuts on the plank, one tab at a time, slowly. Did I mention patience.

1486395116_Post33-0481.jpg.0c23833ada1a4e9ff2125559cffb41d2.jpg

I got there, obtaining three good matches on a single plank, both sides, a triumph in the end.  It’s not just the cuts, there is a taper to account for at both the stern and bow that proved equally fun. This gave me ample opportunity to cut and carve planks, long after I didn’t want to cut and carve planks.

1331357526_Post33-0486.jpg.a681a9a2aec23e0a82cb2a998524c81c.jpg

In the end I have a result I like and made ready for the next belt by lining the deck and marking the butt shift pattern with blue X’s.  I’ll wait to line the outer belt once I’m near complete with the inner, as I’ve frequently discovered I am not perfect in all things, planking included.

328713782_Post33-0488.jpg.d51afff0d932eb476ff4f77db6aa0259.jpg

1377205593_Post33-0490.jpg.89aaa78e3da80ae422b17fd4062edb35.jpg

167388019_Post33-0493.jpg.a154fa5d91cafda24e99ede9a6cbc854.jpg

1999581348_Post33-0497.jpg.f23b2133085ae72a9b1f6527c2f5b6df.jpg

506608351_Post33-0501.jpg.7d9ae411c09d1d5d6960813d93a6bd3b.jpg

My 1:48 scaled mini-me gives a nice perspective to the size of the actual Winchelsea (though why he went into the hold in one photo I don’t know). He also invited his Winchelsea color coordinated friend to also stop by for a look.

Thanks for looking in, your likes and comments are always appreciated. On to more planking.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Very nice.  That looks fantastic.   Patience pays off.   The rest of the deck planking is a piece of cake!

When you also have assistants, I'm not surprised that your build looks so good.🙂

But seriously really nice tight and clean joints, well done Glenn.

Dusan

Currently building:

HMS Winchelsea 1764 by westwood - 1:48

Revenge 1577 - by westwood - 1:64

In preparation:

Fourth-rate ship 1681 - 1:48

A sterling job sir! Your patience pays off in dividends. 

I shall be referring to this post when I do my centreline planking.

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

That is a fantastic planking job Glenn! Also remember that you need patience! ;)

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

Yes patience is key here...but dedication to excellence is equally required to achieve results such as these!

Greg

website
Admiralty Models

moderator Echo Cross-section build
Admiralty Models Cross-section Build

Finished build
Pegasus, 1776, cross-section

Current build
Speedwell, 1752

Beautiful job Glenn! Well done! And that angle cutter… wow! I need that for sure. 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

4 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

And that angle cutter… wow! I need that for sure

Oh well, another item to add to the shelf in my workshop labelled "Things Glenn made me buy" 😁

Great work - a pleasure follow along.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Beautiful Glenn! Your work makes me even more excited that I decided to build my own version of the Winnie. I appreciate your sharing and the inspiration of your example.

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

Glenn - you might want to check if your mailbox is full - I just tried to PM you but got an error saying you can't receive messages. Nothing important, just a nerdy camera question that can wait.

Derek

Cheers, Derek

21 hours ago, Chuck said:

The rest of the deck planking is a piece of cake!

Thank you! I'm ready for a piece of cake and making broad progress for the next step. Every day in the shop is a fun day with Winchelsea.

21 hours ago, westwood said:

really nice tight and clean joints,

Thank you! It takes time and multiple efforts to get them but time well spent in the end.  My assistants just drop by after the work is done and stare, I wouldn't trust them with a sharp blade 😄

19 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

referring to this post

Thanks, I hope it helps as so many others have helped me. Yours is coming along great as well.

14 hours ago, Rustyj said:

remember that you need patience!

Thanks Rusty. I really do need to remember that. My wife is always amazed by my model work, since I apparently have little patience about anything else.

12 hours ago, dvm27 said:

dedication to excellence is equally required

Thank you very much for saying so. I really do commit to the best possible result, no matter how many tear-offs I need to get it.

12 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

And that angle cutter… wow! I need that for sure. 

Thanks! I didn't think I needed another cutter, but this was a excellent buy. Quick, repeatable angle cuts made easy. I also used one of its blades in my old The Cutter and am getting better straight cut results with it.

7 hours ago, DelF said:

"Things Glenn made me buy"

We'll have to check the score to see who's made who buy more.  www.rptoolz.com - it's waiting for you there.

4 hours ago, James G said:

makes me even more excited that I decided to build my own

Glad you're on the path to build your version and glad I can help. It's a great model, challenging, but great. My main advice is take the time to get the framing and infrastructure as an exact mirror to the plans, everything that comes later is so much easier and better if you do. 

3 hours ago, DelF said:

can't receive messages.

I sent you a PM back, my mail box was only 19% full. I asked James H to check on it, he says your box may be full?

2 hours ago, Thistle17 said:

May i ask what camera are you using?

Thanks Joe. While I'm also a photographer all my recent build log photos are taken with an iPhone 14 Pro and iPhone 12 Pro before that. Truthfully I think I got better photos with the 12. I import them to Adobe Lightroom for some very basic editing, export them to a folder then upload to MSW. I move my intense workshop lights around for the best lighting depending on the photo. I have professional lights and cameras, just don't get them all out for log photos.

**Thank you for all the likes and comments, I appreciate them very much!**

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

24 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

I sent you a PM back, my mail box was only 19% full. I asked James H to check on it, he says your box may be full?

Thanks for checking Glenn. I got your PM and by coincidence my mailbox is also just 19% full. I tried to PM you again without success, then on the third go it worked. No idea why. Probably operator error (on my part).

Cheers, Derek

Deck Update

About 2/3rds of a planked deck. The port waist battery in for a trial fit. Light coat of WOP but final sanding and scraping to come. 

A2DE7103-7D67-4C7A-937F-6062FF445B8D.thumb.jpeg.0afd8c2e69d70f29593cd02313e00eb3.jpeg
Don’t think I’ll complete the deck and chapter 4 before my upcoming photography trip to Patagonia (originally scheduled March 2020 but then this thing happened.) I can only hope Winnie will wait for my safe return with a couple of hundred images to process. 

If interested you can check out my first Patagonia trip at GlennBarlow|Photography

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Looks so nice, Glenn. Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Jim 

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea, Model Shipways Mayflower 

Completed Builds: NRG Half Hull Project  

Model Shipways 18th Century Armed Longboat

Dumas 1954 Chris Craft 36' Commander

Dumas 1940 Chris Craft 19' Barrel Back

On 1/23/2023 at 1:42 PM, glbarlow said:

Main Deck

The center belt of main deck planking is a process requiring precision and patience. Making those first cuts around the coamings is very enjoyable, its when I’m making the same ones over again for the third, or more, times it gets a bit less so. Did I mention patience.

1732288948_Post33-0453.jpg.37845fcf9465f763ff0bb53e290aa8aa.jpg

The first step was spending a good deal of time making sure of the center plank alignment. Filling the remaining six rows between the coamings and partners was straightforward enough, a process made easier by my new cutter. With its sharp thin blade and with its ability to make precise angled and length cuts I was able to quickly make consistent angles (one arbitrarily chosen to visually match plans….sorta).

98977715_Post33-0457.jpg.48bf811d2b4fd87e83ca26f6c38bf436.jpg

1159389830_Post33-0458.jpg.7751dfbeeb63386454cc22e0d06d10c9.jpg

1065606928_Post33-0459.jpg.edf612a312c494166802a1d43c3c85a7.jpg

With the old cutter making set lengths and the new cutter set for the angles filling between deck furnishings all went smoothly completing the first seven rows. I made three of the angled planks for each space, two for the deck and one for the next step.

1414167653_Post33-0506.jpg.4393302a2e3b7f1e056b8a6c401e2d63.jpg

After a good deal of fumbling about to match up the the tabs between the seventh and eighth rows I kind of tripled down on a process. I started with a card template cut to match, made adjustments to it after making a practice cut on a scrap plank, used those two plus the third piece I’d made earlier to check and make the final cuts on the plank, one tab at a time, slowly. Did I mention patience.

1486395116_Post33-0481.jpg.0c23833ada1a4e9ff2125559cffb41d2.jpg

I got there, obtaining three good matches on a single plank, both sides, a triumph in the end.  It’s not just the cuts, there is a taper to account for at both the stern and bow that proved equally fun. This gave me ample opportunity to cut and carve planks, long after I didn’t want to cut and carve planks.

1331357526_Post33-0486.jpg.a681a9a2aec23e0a82cb2a998524c81c.jpg

In the end I have a result I like and made ready for the next belt by lining the deck and marking the butt shift pattern with blue X’s.  I’ll wait to line the outer belt once I’m near complete with the inner, as I’ve frequently discovered I am not perfect in all things, planking included.

328713782_Post33-0488.jpg.d51afff0d932eb476ff4f77db6aa0259.jpg

1377205593_Post33-0490.jpg.89aaa78e3da80ae422b17fd4062edb35.jpg

167388019_Post33-0493.jpg.a154fa5d91cafda24e99ede9a6cbc854.jpg

1999581348_Post33-0497.jpg.f23b2133085ae72a9b1f6527c2f5b6df.jpg

506608351_Post33-0501.jpg.7d9ae411c09d1d5d6960813d93a6bd3b.jpg

My 1:48 scaled mini-me gives a nice perspective to the size of the actual Winchelsea (though why he went into the hold in one photo I don’t know). He also invited his Winchelsea color coordinated friend to also stop by for a look.

Thanks for looking in, your likes and comments are always appreciated. On to more planking.

Glenn, you work is marvelous, as always.

I have to ask: where did you get your “mini-me” from?  Did they actually scan you, or how does it work?

I hope you didn’t answers this question before, I didn’t see it ….

Hermann

Edited by Hsae