HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

The counter looks like an excellent preview of your usual planking prowess..

It's almost a pity the that the fancy stuff will hide your fine work in that area..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Wales, First Layer

I completed the first layer of the wales. I usually try to make my logs either entertaining or informative, this time here’s a few photos for reporting purposes. 

63371845_Post9-5640.jpg.c745137627b81b405effe61c1d9455e4.jpg

557034952_Post9-5642.jpg.a09aa126958c97ea0d116c221c825768.jpg

978370259_Post9-5648.jpg.5315e36956e643b3975e24b3555ecfb7.jpg

1127690844_Post9-5650.jpg.7db51f6e75c943751712173f68a26aad.jpg

1814402671_Post9-5649.jpg.bfa88221cc82d80976122a5cda84752b.jpg

I’ve only done rough sanding, I’ll wait until I complete more planking above and below to do more, I’ll also even up the sides as visible from the stern then. I did not follow a butt shift plan for this under-layer except to not to  place them at the same place for the plan’s pattern I’ll use on the top layer. Obviously no reason to pencil between planks either.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

The run of planking looks very smooth!

Current: 

USF Confederacy - Model Shipways (Build Log)

HMS Pickle - Caldercraft (Build Log)

Complete:

Virgina 1819 - Artesania Latina (Gallery)

U.S. Brig Syren - Model Shipways (Build Log, Gallery)

On the shelf:

Armed Virginia Sloop - Model Shipways

2 hours ago, WalrusGuy said:

run of planking

Thank you, the time spent on fairing paid off. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Beautiful planking Gene Glenn.

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Excellent!

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

I Like it! Very nice work. Can't wait to see what you'll do with the Sphinx.

...don't forget to place a period after "Bob." - when you add his (?) name to the transom.

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Planking above the wales

It’s been a minute since my last post, it took me this long to complete the planking above the wales on just one side.

2131948095_Post10-5652.jpg.3c843ddbee2909f432dd300678d3758a.jpg

The first step was deciding on what my primary color would be since the ports need to be painted before planking begins. My first thought was to go darker, perhaps more on the maroon scale, than I had done with my Cheerful. The more I looked at my paint board the easier the decision became. I liked Cheerful RED so Winchelsea would also be RED, maybe REDDER with Winsor & Newton Crimson as my choice.

While I was at it I also prepared a blue paint board to compliment the friezes, I’ll defer that choice until I get to that point. I also looked at a couple of black choices. Despite some nice other options I always come back to Admiralty Paints Ironworks Black - a paint that looks as good as matte black on wood as it does to imitate metal in my opinion. I may go with Grumbacher Mars Black, we’ll see when I get to painting the wales.

1889307151_Post10-5676.jpg.59771b3341d2dde7d718f0022f7aaca5.jpg

961140365_Post10-5682.jpg.c96a68fb2bc2f145b4475f620de94bb0.jpg

It would be challenging enough to cut planks around 28 ports, it is more fun, to do so while providing for a 1/32 rabbet around three sides of each port. It took me the better part of a day to cut the one shown in the photo that runs along the bottom of five ports midships. Each is a bit different as the ports follow the sheer of the eventual deck with the sides parallel to the waterline, in other words not square. The little port jigs came in handy to determine the 1/32 rabbet. The tops are equally challenging, and still with all that I still had more adjustments with sanding sticks to do later.

607885191_Post10-5683.jpg.60fbc264aae22eca0087c0e1c9387f34.jpg

Once again I am amazed at what can be achieved with nothing more than the heat from a travel iron when it comes to shaping planks. Not easy see in the photo but this one plank follows a gentle S curve front to back and is curved to conform to the bow. Without soaking, clamping or nailing I can shape a plank to lay right onto the bulkheads with very little finger pressure. Like all my planks the inside bottom edge is softened for a tight seal to it's mate below. I do as little as needed, I don’t want to later sand right through the bottom edge. Every plank also has #2 pencil added to the top to imitate tar seams.

1463236236_Post10-5685.jpg.b40c6ded7bdfcc8af266fddb99238e90.jpg

I recently added a Byrnes Thickness Sander to my shop, it has proven helpful. Even a nicely milled plank can vary in thickness enough to make for a bumpy planking. I ran all my planks though the thickness sander and it paid dividends. This is the un-sanded planking, I didn’t have to do a lot more to smooth it out.

-1770785357_Post10-5688.jpg.614771aa100bfc6cadb4ab7874fc53fa.jpg

1342994296_Post10-5689.jpg.cae0bded206d0d3e8181d36b2f1b16b9.jpg

After completing all the planking then sanding above the wales I didn’t like this one section, so I popped it out and replaced it. I plank happily with CA, I try to keep it in the middle of the plank and not too close to ports (the CA not the plank). So it didn’t take a lot to remove the planks without collateral damage. I planked a good part of one side of Cheerful three times, I’m not reluctant to remove a plank and do it again - though I’d like to determine that as I go and not after I’m done as happened here. (I rejected and replaced the lower piece for color match after the photo.)

448161297_Post10-5694.jpg.372e58660f6b83b4177efc219221e179.jpg

One more step before adding WOP, touching up the ports. I’m normally pretty handy at free-handing this work but I wanted to make sure I had nice edges between the port and the plank. I choose not to paint the out to the edge of the planking. It would be difficult to do for one thing but more importantly the recessed painted port highlights the rabbet and is a better look in my opinion.

Excuse my impromptu photo studio, I just hung a bit of cloth over my workspace and used my iPhone. It offends the photographer in me but it’s fast and at least a little neater than my usual workshop photos.

1194923106_Post10-5706.jpg.bb419267f30f5dc8ebb40c4141a07809.jpg

After one last sanding with 400 grit I added a coat of wipe-on-poly to seal it up. This first coat is almost absorbed into the yellow cedar as fast as I put it on (and is still slightly wet in these photos). By the time I’m done the ship will have at least three coats, maybe more, of WOP. It is my opinion nothing brings out the rich gold tone of the Alaskan Yellow Cedar better than WOP, they are the perfect companions.

884354506_Post10-5712.jpg.0a660e73a24534b465fde5592d489127.jpg

I tried to color match the planking rows above the wales and below where the friezes will eventually be, that made for and interesting ribbon of color it seems.

1955312104_Post10-5710.jpg.321e4918c7620d55a93bb0aea6abb29c.jpg

As a follow up from a prior post here is the bollard timbers tapered flush with the planking. I’ll shape them more when the other side is complete

892976990_Post10-5720.jpg.8be7ac84695ccd0108aac047757793eb.jpg

Using the plans I’ve marked the butt shift pattern to follow for the second layer of the wales.

1291497511_Post10-5714.jpg.ec6828232e5f84d9d94e4ac6fd9bccc7.jpg

1068875664_Post10-5716.jpg.3fcb2287a8ffb8e511e866e6d95f433d.jpg

I love the sweeping lines and tumblehome of Winchelsea, so cool.

2011496936_Post10-5708.jpg.f24e9965fd3eb069b16bf0b38570eca5.jpg

So after two weeks I have the starboard side done above the wale - off I go for another two weeks to complete the port side.

Thank you the follows, likes, and comments. I’m just one of many working on this magnificent, and very large, model, I appreciate your stopping by to see mine.

Regards,

Glenn

beautifully done as you have shown in all your work. Glad to hear you got the thickness sander as you said it makes less sanding necessary.

Best Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Thank you for the kind comments and likes, much appreciated. I’m really enjoying this build. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

37 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

Thank you for the kind comments, much appreciated. I’m really enjoying this build. 

This is such a great project! It’s been so rewarding every step of the way, it just gets better as you go.

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 - 5th rate 32 gun frigate (on hold for now)

HMS Portland 1770 Prototype 1:48 - 4th rate 50 gun ship

That is some great planking Glenn! Well done.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout

17 hours ago, BobG said:

Perfection, Grant, such a pleasure to follow your work!

Thanks Bob, but who’s Grant?😂

Regards,

Glenn

17 hours ago, Chuck said:

Nicely done!!!

Thanks Chuck, for the model and even more for your help and guidance. 

Regards,

Glenn

15 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

That looks great! Nicely done Glenn!

Thanks, I’ve enjoyed your build as well.

15 hours ago, niwotwill said:

got the thickness sander

Thank you. I am amazed by the difference it makes, and by the thickness variance of a plank cut by the same saw with the same settings. 

16 hours ago, rafine said:

Beautifully done Glenn.

Thanks Bob. Your excellent Winnie log is a regular reference for me. 

14 hours ago, Rustyj said:

some great planking

Thanks Rusty, my planking improved exponentially once I adopted Chuck’s method, and with all the practice Cheerful afforded me. I’m enjoying following your pear version of Winnie. 

Regards,

Glenn

3 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Thanks Bob, but who’s Grant?😂

Sorry, just a brain fart! 🤣 

Grant is gjdale here on the forum and he does spectacular work on all kinds of modeling subjects. I enjoy following all of his projects and, like you, he does outstanding work and creates wonderful build logs as well. Check him out if you haven't already. 

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

12 hours ago, Dave_E said:

gives me a level of perfection to strive for.

Thanks, though It’s far from perfect, I continue to learn every day. 

Regards,

Glenn

Just catching up Grant Gene Glenn. The name may change, but your work stays the same - top drawer as ever, complemented by superb photography. I particularly loved the quarter shots from the bow and stern. 

Derrick Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat