HMS Winchelsea 1764 by glbarlow - 1:48

6 hours ago, DelF said:

Just catching up Grant Gene Glenn.

🤣😂. Thanks Don! I too like the quarter shots, they really show the graceful lines of Winchelsea. I also thought you’d be impressed with my including the nautical term of tumblehome 😊(though I had to Google it)

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

MSW included one of the photos from my last post on Facebook.  Thank you MSW, it allows me to share with my friends so they can see what I do with my time.

i belong to a couple of Facebook wood ship model groups. They include many hapless lost souls (modeling wise I mean). I frequently recommend they join MSW to find help and answers to their questions, my small effort for a membership drive. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

7 minutes ago, glbarlow said:

MSW included one of the photos from my last post on Facebook.

I don't think I've seen one bad example of the Winnie being built. This has to be one of the premier group projects in the greater wooden ship modeling community and is a testament to both the project itself and to the skills of its participants.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Excellent as usual Glenn, you have a special aptitude for planking, I reckon you could do it blindfolded 😲

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

2 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

love your planking.

Thanks BE, the yellow cedar is an easy plank to shape, I should know having done  the same plank space over and over…😊

Regards,

Glenn

1 hour ago, Edwardkenway said:

you could do it blindfolded

Thank you, although I feel like some of my results that must have been what I did. 

Regards,

Glenn

Nice work, Glenn. You've done a superb job, especially on all the joinery as well as the finish. 

Liquitex Crimson was also my choice for the gunports and inner bulwarks for my HMS Sphinx/Camilla build.

As you know, acrylics dry a little darker - and a little bit of red goes a long way!

Ron

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

14 hours ago, hollowneck said:

especially on all the joinery as well as the finish.

Thanks, it takes time and the willingness to tear it off if it’s not right, plus sore fingers from pressing the pieces together while the CA takes hold. 😩

Regards,

Glenn

It’s a process.

Still working on cutting out ports to complete planking above the wales. I finished the port side bow and needed a change of pace after fitting 20 ports (8 more to go) so I decided to do some preliminary fairing on the starboard interior. I’ve added 1/8 balsa between the frames to act as spacer, that plus the planking gets me close to the 3/16 required. I’m not done still more to do, but its close.

1372109484_Post11-5735.jpg.0950cb4a56466917da9a0119b58d7c14.jpg

It’s a little heart stopping to grind this out with a very light touch of the Dremel. It is made a little easier, still requiring deep slow breaths, by my new addition of a Proxxon pen sander for a lighter touch, then by hand and with chisels to clean up when I get close. I have it close enough now to go back later and polish up what I’ve done and complete the starboard interior. Really I just wanted to establish a little confidence I could pull it off and not have a port sill fly off the ship.  Cheerful now seems like a piece of cake comparatively.

1439397707_Post11-5728.jpg.e723094e9ce7f7c4440412666a8f729a.jpg

Good news, with both sides of the bow now planked above the wales I’ve confirmed via the Chapter 9 template they meet the required shape for when, in the far distant future, I get to Chapter 9.

Back to the port side planking now.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

4 hours ago, rafine said:

glad that you took the time and care.

Thanks Bob, it’s definitely nice to have those templates now. 

Regards,

Glenn

That's some inspiring plank work Glenn.  Shall follow and try to emulate (as nears as I can) your quality builds.   By the way. I note red pen marks at frames on your planks.  Is this to just mark where the frames are or where you will later show plank joints?

Regards

Peter

Completed:  

PORT JACKSON - 1803 Topsail Schooner 1/50 by Modellers Shipyard

HMB ENDEAVOUR - 1768 Bark 1/64 by Artesania Latina

Under Construction:  

HMAV BOUNTY - 1/60 by Amati

NORFOLK Colonial Sloop- 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS EURYALUS - 1:48 Scratchbuild POF

Next Project:  

HMS THUNDRER - 1/48 CAF Models/Scratchbuild

Planned:  

HMS SUPPLY - 1/64 Scratchbuild

HMS SIRIUS

11 hours ago, Peter6172 said:

red pen marks at frames

Thank you for your comments. The red pencil marks the shift pattern butt joints for the second row of wales per the plan. I’ll carry those down the hull once I get that far. 

Regards,

Glenn

5 hours ago, SteveL said:

The little port jigs

I’m sure there are better ways.  They are just a short strip of 1/32 half of it glued to a scrap of wood I used for the ports. (I colored them with a highlighter only so I could find them in the mess, I have two to improve my odds of finding one😂.) The larger piece placed up against the inside of the port with the 1/32 strip defining the rabbet which I marked with pencil then aligned planks to, then used to confirm I had the right width rabbet.  
2EB76276-35C6-445B-85F0-7417DD6E9023.thumb.jpeg.10144bc200b7c2644223bf83265be8b3.jpeg

Like I said, I’m sure there are better ways. It isn’t perfect but it definitely helped me, especially with all the angles involved. For those the Byrnes sander and mitre gauge were indispensable. 

Regards,

Glenn

Above the Wales Complete

After another two weeks work I’ve completed the port side above the wales, so yay.

386684025_Post12-5765.jpg.72719bb7ac1cbcd4b518dd2e4062f01b.jpg

The good news is it looks a whole lot like the starboard side so that’s good.

18239857_Post12-5762.jpg.712f572a5738f0b32f9c997e70b9fae2.jpg

The bollard timbers turned out fine, folding into the curve of the bow nicely I think.  They'll look good I think when I later paint them black.

1907916066_Post12-5772.jpg.8357b9ace950082e6684331d5b6acdf8.jpg

As an aside I’ve upgraded my most important tool, my light source. I’ve had the same Ott lights for ten years or more, they were kinda broken and hard to adjust, and were often in my hair as I bent forward.  I got a newer version of Ott light, amazing for their daylight brilliance using only 18w bulbs, that are both higher and much more adjustable. They make seeing things so much easier. I got them from Amazon and highly recommend them as my workshop primary light (in addition to the room’s under cabinet and overhead lights).

148000883_Post12-5760.jpg.a36f8277faaf8c2ce8eb03f98120f5ba.jpg

I mentioned in an earlier post that my 7/32 wale planks turned out to be 15/64 increasing my plank height almost 1/16 above the tops of the bulkheads, I also lost some of the S-curve as I planked higher which I didn’t notice until after a consult with Chuck. So I ripped off the 7/32 top plank called for by the plans and replaced it with a 3/16, it is now near even with the bulkhead tops. Later additions to the forecastle should go much better, or at least problems won’t be due to plank height anyway.  It wasn’t an easy surgery, there are a few flaws along the new seam between planks, but it will all be covered by the friezes and moulding. Sometimes you just have to suck it up and rip it off to get it right, or at least get it better.

1327448422_Post12-5764.jpg.cc04b510d17b3dd0b67461fda2aa4605.jpg

2095924406_Post12-5766.jpg.29e0d83bb7db2ca5d3ce23cab29a35f2.jpg

Here’s quarter shot photos of the port side.  I’m going to do the internal fairing before adding the wales and the first two plank rows below. I just want to be past that step. So I’ll add the fairing caps next and ever so lightly, I hope, reduce the bulwarks to 3/16 and, I hope, without splitting the ship in half. So if you never see another post you'll know it didn't go well.

Thanks for stopping by with your likes and comments. You have many choices in Winchelsea logs, I appreciate your taking a look at mine.

Regards,

Glenn

Are you milling your own planks?

I like the way you are getting a subtle amount of variation to make it interesting.

Incredible work!

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Excellent, crisp and clean, a joy to watch Glenn. 

Your redo is virtually invisible, very nice planking. 

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

18 hours ago, Gregory said:

Are you milling your own planks?

Thank you for the comment. All the planking is milled from sheets of Alaskan Yellow Cedar, which has a fair amount of color variation, sometimes on the same plank. I know from my Cheerful WOP evens out the color as does time still leaving enough variation to keep it interesting. It’s a great wood for ship building. The top 2-3 rows and the bottom 5 will be covered later in the build. 

Regards,

Glenn

16 hours ago, BobG said:

Looks gorgeous, Glenn!

Thank you Bob, all done with CA btw.  It works great as long as I’m careful. 

Regards,

Glenn

16 hours ago, scrubbyj427 said:

Great progress so far!

Thank you, I’m working from the slower is better mantra, or else I’m just slow.

15 hours ago, KirbysLunchBox said:

Gorgeous

Thank you, I appreciate your saying so.

15 hours ago, starlight said:

That is some of the cleanest planking I have seen on this site.

Thank you, I appreciate that.  There is lots of great planking work,especially among the Winchelsea builders. With only single layer careful is key. 

6 hours ago, Edwardkenway said:

Excellent, crisp and clean, a joy to watch

Thank you. I enjoy watching yours and the other Winchelsea builders as well. Such a formidable challenge and a great model design

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

After watching the Cheerful planking its hard to imagine getting better planking, but you've done it. I can see you're using the Byrnes thickness sander to achieve these excellent results. Glenn I love to watch your logs they keep getting better.

Regards

Will

Current Build:

Erycina 1882 Fishing Trawler by Vanguard Models 1:64 scale

Syren by pearwill Model Shipways 1:64 scale

On Hold:

HM Cutter Cheerful  Syren Shipmodel Scratch 1:48 scale

1776 Washington Row Galley scratch scratch from NRG plans #121  1:48 scale

Completed Build:

Charles W. Morgan by Artesania Latina circa 1988, Lowell Grand Banks Dory 1:24 scale by Model Shipways, Norwegian.Sailing Pram 1:12 scale by Model Shipways, Muscongus Bay Lobster Smack 1:24 scale by Model Shipways

Member Nautical Research Guild

Glenn, I just got caught up on your work and I echo everyone else's comments. It's more of your usual excellent workmanship.

Rusty

"So Long For Now" B) 

Current Builds: HMS Winchelsea 1/48  Duchess of Kingston

Completed Build Logs: USF Confederacy , US Brig Syren , Triton Cross Section , Bomb Vessel Cross SectionCutter CheerfulQueen Anne Barge, Medway Longboat

Completed Build Gallery: Brig Syren , 1870 Mississippi Riverboat , 1949 Chris-Craft 19' Runabout