'Nisha' by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - The Brixham 'Mumble-Bee'

'Nisha' was a Brixham 'Mumble-bee' from 1907. 

I will be building this one concurrently with 'Erycina' for release around the same time. All I currently require for this one is the photo-etch and sails, which should be with me quite shortly. While there is no picture of Nisha, here's a photo of another 'Mumble Bee' class fisher. 

Nisha-profiles-2.jpg

This one is smaller than Erycina and very petite. Like that one and other kits in VM's range, this starts with an MDF core, plenty of bulkheads with bevel lines on them, and a nice selection of pear in numerous thicknesses. An MDF construction cradle is supplied as well as an acrylic stand for display. Also some nice 3D printed and brass parts too. Again, I've not shown the plank strips here or the dowel for the masts. Note the shrouds and rats in the above pic.

DSC_8926.jpg

DSC_8928.jpg

DSC_8929.jpg

DSC_8930.jpg

DSC_8931.jpg

DSC_8932.jpg

Ok, I'm still on my personally enforced 7-day workshop hiatus, so I can spend my spare time on my new PlayStation, but I do have the original prototype photos to study too, so both models will be started next Monday. 

Until then...

While my Grandfather was a coal miner he had a small fishing smack at Whitehaven harbour for when he was on his time off (i bet the open irish sea was a blessing after hewing coal in a 3 foot high adit)! - a lot of the old sailing smacks were altered and fitted with diesel engines and wheelhouses and plenty were still around till about 20 years ago.

Keith

Straight after Erycina, I made a start on Nisha. Both models are being built in tandem for a release at the same time. 

Both kits come with an MDF build cradle and an acrylic display stand that has an engraved plate.

3.jpeg

5.jpeg

Fewer bulkheads in Nisha than Erycina. Again, engraved bevel lines are supplied on those that need them. These are now bevelled with a Dremel at 10,000RPM

6.jpeg

7.jpeg

8.jpeg

The dainty little keel has bulkhead numbers engraved adjacent to each slot, making it a little harder to get these wrong. At this stage, everything is fitted dry, with no glue.

9.jpeg

13.jpeg

The lower deck is now slotted into position. Engravings help show you the orientation of this.

15.jpeg

Bearding fillers are also included which can be pre-bevelled and then pinned into place with MDF tabs.

17.jpeg

18.jpeg

19.jpeg

20.jpeg

22.jpeg

23.jpeg

24.jpeg

This is a little different to Erycina in that the two bulkhead infill pieces are bolstered on both sides with an MDF plate that is pinned into position either side of those bulkheads. This creates a nice, solid construction.

25.jpeg

26.jpeg

27.jpeg

28.jpeg

29.jpeg

Both longitudinal deck beams are now slotted into position, followed by the stern timbers that are marked to show their relative positions.

32.jpeg

33.jpeg

38.jpeg

Diluted Titebond is now brushed into all the joints and the frame set aside to dry for a couple of hours.

39.jpeg

40.jpeg

Lastly (for this update), the ply deck is fitted and glued. This fits into the slots in each bulkhead ear, and lies perfectly flat with no other fettling required.

42.jpeg

More next time :) 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Has it really been almost 2 months since my last update?

I suppose I have done a lot of work, and on two vessels. This update will be in 2 or 3 posts due to all photos.

Work on Nisha continued with hull fairing. This probably took no more than about 30 minutes due to her size. Always remember to run a lime plank along the lines to make sure there's no nasty surprises later on.

45a.jpeg

The multipart pear keel is now added. All fits perfectly.

48a.jpeg

The stern is tackled in a different way to normal with a single counter piece that deals with what would've been the hardest element of Nisha. This is the part for the first layer of planks, glued and clamped. This was also soaked to help it conform to the curves.

51.jpeg

On with the inner bulwarks. These are a doddle to fit, with no ambiguity. Just make sure the ply deck hits the lower engraved line on the bulwark. Clamps and pins hold things while the glue dries.

55.jpeg

58.jpeg

On the first layer, we have the option to plank this is sections, so this is what I did with the lengths of lime that butt up against the counter. Not many planks are needed for this one and it planks real quick.

59.jpeg

60.jpeg

64.jpeg

The stern board is now fitted. This is engraved with the timbers position so it's not ambiguous. 

66.jpeg

If you've built a VM kit before, you'll know the format of the keel with the outer facing parts that form the rabbet. All sections are now fitted and clamped.

73.jpeg

The outer stern counter is now glued. You can never have too many clamps...

78.jpeg

Both outer bulwarks are now fitted. This also has a lower engraved line near the bottom. That is the indicator for where to fit the lower rail. That rail covers the joint between bulwark and regular planking. The hull is then planked in pear and the stern board frame added.

81.jpeg

83.jpeg

85.jpeg

Always check your hull to make sure it's sanded nice and smooth. Touch is definitely as useful as the eye when it comes to this. In fact, I rarely look at the lower hulls for smoothness and instead feel for unevenness. 

86.jpeg

MDF bulkhead ears are now removed and the area sanded flush to deck.

88.jpeg

Talking of decks, the engraved deck is now fitted. This was a precise fit that only needed the char edge removing. 

90.jpeg

All timberheads are fitted. These are identified from 'A' at the bow, working backwards. Only a little bevelling is needed at the bottom in some areas. Some timberheads that have a rail fitted, are installed as a single piece to aid proper spacing. The spacing rail is then snipped off afterwards.

95.jpeg

101.jpeg

I can't recall the name part at the moment so always call it the 'bench'. 

This is now fitted into the stern, and it sits in the notches in stern timbers and on the lower timberheads. An engraved line shows the absolute position.

102.jpeg

106.jpeg

I use a rigid sanding stick to draw across the bulwarks to make sure they are level to each other. A good surface is needed here for the gunwales which are fitted after painting the outside bulwark in black. The lower rail, now fitted, is in white.

107.jpeg

112.jpeg

A waterline mark is now added to coincide with the to top of the white book line. The hull is then masked from that line, upwards. Filler is applied to the exposed area and then sanded. White primer is also now sprayed and any further imperfections filled and sanded out. This is a tedious task that will take a good day or so to get right, but it's important it's done if you want the lower hull to look neat. 

115.jpeg

121.jpeg

After painting a finish coat of white, a 3mm flexible tape line is run around the edge of the current masking, and then the hull is sprayed red. When dry, all tape is removed.

122.jpeg

123.jpeg

Fishers need hatches. These are made and then fitted.

129.jpeg

131.jpeg

Same with ladders. 

135.jpeg

A jig is provided to build the curved-roof companionway. Here you see the assembly still sat on the jig, with the curved roof part clamped at rear with glue, before curving over the sides.

144.jpeg

154.jpeg

156.jpeg

Nisha has a number of brass and 3D printed parts. These are first primed and then airbrushed in red. I use this specific colour as I didn't want anything too bright. RLM23 is a WW2 German Luftwaffe colour.

157b.jpeg

The wonderfully named 'dandy wink' is now built and fitted.

160.jpeg

More deck hardware...

161.jpeg

162.jpeg

A steam winch also finds a home on Nisha. All parts are primed with Tamiya Fine Surface primer before airbrushing. 

163.jpeg

168.jpeg

177.jpeg

179.jpeg

180.jpeg

A little bit of metalwork is required for the chimneys.

184.jpeg

188.jpeg

191.jpeg

195.jpeg

196.jpeg

Yes, this one has some shrouds and rats! Very simple stuff though and it'll take almost no time. 

197.jpeg\IMG_0635.jpeg

That's it until next time! 

• 2 weeks later...

As you've possibly already seen, Nisha is complete, so here are the final pics as the kit is now nearly ready for release. 

Building the masts for this is so easy....as there's only ONE 😁 There is a little stepping in diameter to be done, but only a 30 minute job. The mast is then fitted out with blocks, ready for the sails to be added before masting to hull. 

208.jpeg

211.jpeg

Of course, the bowsprit opening needs elongating. I used some 3mm dowel, wrapped in 180 grit paper. Worked a treat.

212.jpeg

213.jpeg

The sail set is optional, and I dyed this is RIT dye, using more more than I did for the previous fishers. 

215.jpeg

Time to mast!

216.jpeg

Yes, there are some shrouds and rat here, but they are just so very simple and perfect for a newcomer to tackle. The plans also include a template for ratline spacing. Just paste to some card, and you're good to go.

217b.jpeg

Here she is, all complete. Just the acrylic stand to build.

220.jpeg

223.jpeg

And....my final pics!

f1.jpeg

f2.jpeg

f3.jpeg

f4.jpeg

f5.jpeg

f6.jpeg

Thanks for watching. Nisha will be released within the next couple of weeks. 

Very nice!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

This was great to see as I have had a couple of holidays in Brixham  and never got tired going over the Golden Hind  there.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Lovely vessel.  Never thought I would say that of a ship without cannon.  I have a feeling that this kit may seduce you into building quickly.  Need to take a deep breath and just enjoy a leisurely build.

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

• 5 weeks later...
On 11/19/2021 at 10:27 PM, James H said:

As you've possibly already seen, Nisha is complete, so here are the final pics as the kit is now nearly ready for release. 

Building the masts for this is so easy....as there's only ONE 😁 There is a little stepping in diameter to be done, but only a 30 minute job. The mast is then fitted out with blocks, ready for the sails to be added before masting to hull. 

208.jpeg

211.jpeg

Of course, the bowsprit opening needs elongating. I used some 3mm dowel, wrapped in 180 grit paper. Worked a treat.

212.jpeg

213.jpeg

The sail set is optional, and I dyed this is RIT dye, using more more than I did for the previous fishers. 

215.jpeg

Time to mast!

216.jpeg

Yes, there are some shrouds and rat here, but they are just so very simple and perfect for a newcomer to tackle. The plans also include a template for ratline spacing. Just paste to some card, and you're good to go.

217b.jpeg

Here she is, all complete. Just the acrylic stand to build.

220.jpeg

223.jpeg

And....my final pics!

f1.jpeg

f2.jpeg

f3.jpeg

f4.jpeg

f5.jpeg

f6.jpeg

Thanks for watching. Nisha will be released within the next couple of weeks. 

I have taken the plunge and ordered Nisha for my first build. Everything looks fairly straight forward (words I might later regret), the only question I have relates to the reducing of the diameter of the mast. Could you explain how you did this. 

Thanks in advance, 

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve Richardson said:

Could you explain how you did this.

James probably has some secret way of doing this, but the easiest way for us amateurs is to chuck the mast dowel into an electric variable-speed drill and taper the mast with progressively finer grits of sandpaper. The taper should be repeatedly checked against the plans using calipers.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

• 1 year later...

A quick footnote to Nisha's log.

I'm currently on holiday in Devon, UK, and had arranged to return Nisha to her real home....so to speak. 

Whilst here, I've met with Mitch Tonks who is the CEO of the Rockfish chain of seafood restaurants. Our meet was in Brixham, so before lunch, I handed over Nisha to him and he was delighted with it. She's now on display in the restaurant, behind the bar area, for visitors to see. Mitch gave me a signed copy of his 6th cookbook and a rather nice pack of locally caught and tinned specialities. 

What a lovely bloke!

IMG_0718.jpg

IMG_0720.jpg

• The title was changed to 'Nisha' by James H - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - The Brixham 'Mumble-Bee'