What is your occupation, employment, job or profession?

Anja

I don't know why I never actually said what I did again since the MSW 2 came online....anyway, I'm totally in awe of what some of you guys have done or are up to.

I currently work in the aviation field for one of the two largest aircraft manufacturers in the world. I'm sure you could guess which one if you look at my location and think hard for a sec. But we're not supposed to go out and say it. Blah.

Anyway I work as a Mission Director in an Operations center - think Houston in the Movie Apollo 13.  It is really NOT as glamorous as it sounds. I just prioritize and assign work.

I am trained as an engineer and have both  my BS and MS in Mechanical Engineering, then later got an MBA. I may go back and get a doctorate someday just so people have to call me DR. Sarah hehehe.

Fascinating to read about the backgrounds of so many, so I want to share with you my own story.

Born and raised by german parents in South America, Ecuador, Uruguay, Perú and Colombia the first thing I had to learn was to move from the position of a kid of a privileged family to build my own life. That proved to be a mistake, as opposed to develop and nurture my social network, i tried to prove myself I could do on my own! Always having been a science fiction fan and airplane model builder I started studying mechanical engineer, the platform to get a job in the aerospace industry. Soon I learned that the mechanical difference between aerospace products and washing machines was that the tolerances were tighter and the materials used more expensive! I was sitting next to fellow students that had spent their childhood under their cars working on them, I never did nor did I have a sense for it. So I came through a job I did as a student to work as an interpreter and translator for a local company making container handling equipment and made a degree as a a technical translator and interpreter. Doing so and being lazy by definition i started to define a system to automate the process of translations. Unfortunately the company that had to build the It system failed and I had to go to court to get my money back! I won at court but I never got my money, while i spend the next 15 years paying all those open bills. A nice side effect by that development was that i came into the microelectronics and doing so I did a study on graphic processors.  The result was that i was hired by National Semiconductor as an application engineer. I still have a letter I send to my father. In it I wrote that I was getting a very high salary, a brand new series 5 BMW. I also wrote that i would collect that money until they realized that i had no clue about the topics, specially electronics! Well, after 5 years i was heading a lab for graphical terminals at that corporation in Germany! Semiconductor industry is known for its regular crisis, every 2 years, I survived 3 cycles and lost my job. One of the things i learned was that I did not want to be dependant from foolish sales and marketing people and so I moved to Motorola Semiconductor and became a sales man! For somebody like me, more an engineer by mindset, an hot air activity, but that had the ownership of the account and as such the power to do it right. Well, what can I tell you? I learned that forecasting and sales can be a precise science and a playfield for creativity, ending my career there as the globally responsible for looking after the largest european computer account. if you do your job in sales right, you are the advocate between the customer and your own organization. When that client did join forces with a japanese company, I lost my client and all those animosities created over time let to me being fired! I was there for nearly 10 years, so I had gone through 5 of those cycles in the industry and learned a lot of about "cultural change". 

That knowledge let to my last job, where I was hired to manage the cultural change at a large corporation, Lucent Technologies, as Director. Well, within the first year the CEO was fired for the corporation, the CEO for the consulting and services branch was fired and a change agent, me, was fired as one of those responsible for enforcing those desired changes, bad luck! That was when the Internet crisis happened in 2000/2001. Since then I have been unable to get hired again, which challenges you to keep your self esteem and for me that meant to phase the challenge as a part of what life makes you face. Building model planes as I had done as a kid was prohibitive, as my financial situation was critical, so I decided to buy a plan of a ship and start building from scratch! A model ship does not crash, so I could be working for it without that danger. I went for a sailship, longkeeler and purchased the plan. Building and saving for the materials and tools needed leaves time to think and so i decided to build a sailship that could navigate a regatta course on its own. So I could combine electronics with all those mechanical aspects of such a project and i came to define the work on it as the goal and not the finishing of it. As part of the work on the electronics I got into all those newsletters and websites to research about electronics getting even some consulting jobs as the result of my expertise gained during those studies. I am sharing this project with you describing the project in this forum.

Fortunately in Germany the social system prevents me from loosing my home, besides my wonderful wifes income and her patience with me and I have been able to contribute to the family budget though doing technical translations and those consulting jobs. I can only recommend to anybody loosing his job and not being able to get a new one, I was considered to be too old with 45, to engage into something were his brain is kept active, were every day has a full agenda so the day results nearly too short and that gives you mental compensation by achieving goals and accomplishing tasks. My hobby building a sailship model has accomplished this. The process is painful but life does not consist in successes only, but in mastering the challenges it presents to us. I have now 13 years, were I had to use this methodology, its not easy but it works. Being taken one day to the other from an active life with all those privileges resulting from a senior position and all that that you can make happen in such a position is painful but "content rich"!

hi all My work is not connected with the hobby he worked as a fitter инструментальщиком at the Institute of theoretical and experimental physics in free time engaged in caving more than 20 years, the last 12 years рабтаю lifeguard that's my whole work

всем привет Моя работа не  связана с хобби работал слесарем инструментальщиком в институте теоретической и экспериментальной физики в свободное время занимался спелеологией более 20 лет последние 12 лет рабтаю спасателем  вот и вся моя трудовая деятельность

Guess I'll jump in with mine. As a senior in highschool started working for an electrical engnineering company. Stayed with them from 1979 until 2006, company was sold, so five of us started our own company doing the same thing (old company went belly up two years ago). My avatar is my main hobby. I started a hot air balloon ride business, won't get rich but hopefully it will pay for itself. 

William

I don't think I saw any "mathematicians" in the previous posts.  I am one. :-)  Got my PhD in Mathematics from Brandeis University and worked for 15 years at the NSA, then another 20 in private industry (computer security consultant), and lastly 2 years as a visiting professor at George Washington University, Department of Computer Science.  I have been retired since 2006.  It is an occupation that I can heartly recommend.  But even with no job to leave home for, I still take forever on my ship models.

Ron Gove

Optical physicist by education. Electronic systems design for DoD and NASA (TI and Harris Corp) by the need to put food on the table. Became an Intellectual Property attorney just because I wanted to know what everybody was doing. Had a very satisfying and successful career. Now semi-retired, but have been talked into supporting Airbus, in Mobile, by a local corporate firm.

Have always been an avid sailor. Was on the Bates College and MIT sailing teams and was rated All American. Boat racing and boat design/optimization is my life. Have a pretty good sailing resume, but I guess that’s not appropriate here.

‘Cause of who I am and what I like, I’m a fairly decent amateur historian of the Age of Sail.

Ciao. John

Worked as a fly in, fly out mobile plant operator on the mines in the north west of Australia for about 4 years. Now i work for a road construction company laying asphalt, sealing new roads etc hot hard work but i enjoy it. Rainy days mean I can stay at home and build models

• 2 weeks later...

I am refrigeration technician and have been doing it for 15 years. I graduated college with a history degree in teaching did an internship with a local museam. I realized that I didn't care for being in one place and I also realized that I loved working with my hands so off to tech school I went. I became a contractor 6 years ago and now spend most of my days training the new guys long for the days when I worked alone! It's not that I don't like training these guys, they just have absolutly no work ethic or drive to make themselves better. 

Scott

Had many jobs but I loved my time in the British Army the most. I served with the Parachute Regiment in Northern Ireland and around the world. I am currently employed as a signalman and have a great big train set to play with.  

Eyup, harlequin, ex pongo here as well. 

Not a Para though, but RCT. Did a Belfast tour with 3 Para in 79/80 but I'm OK now.  :P

Eyup, harlequin, ex pongo here as well. 

Not a Para though, but RCT. Did a Belfast tour with 3 Para in 79/80 but I'm OK now.  :P

Pongo....thats a great term.......I joined after the Falklands......dont know why I like building boats because the Paras would refuse to go anywhere near anything that floated. :D

Have spent over 20 years with an international grain trader and thereafter another 20 years in the P&I industry, which infected me with an incurable shipping fever, worsened by the fact that I live near the main port of Europe. Now after my retirement I start modeling and of course ships form the main ingredient of it.

I started at the age of eleven picking produce for ol'e man Sorensen for 25-75 cents a bushel.  I held the typical teenage jobs, amusement parks and retail sales.  I joined the Navy at nineteen and stayed there for twenty years as an Electrician's Mate.  After retiring, I continued to work in ship repair as a systems troubleshooter and got to do a little more traveling for seven years.  I now work for the city as a Plant Process Controls Electrician at a waste water treatment plant.  If you think about it, it's like a Alpha Omega thing, I started picking crops grown in fertilizer that I now help to produce.  Ah, the circle of life...

Hi All, I'm self employed and been working in aviation for tad over 40 years, predominately with helicopters. I'm an aircraft mechanic by trade but I'm into other stuff as well such as Human Factors and Safety Management Systems. I've worked in lots of good places and some not so good places around Australia, Asia and the like.

Cheers........

I'm a newspaper editor. Was a reporter for about 20 years, which, at the time, was the greatest job in the world. Every day you go out, meet new people and learn something new. When I became an editor, I had 12 people working under me in my department. Now my paper is up for sale, we've laid off a ton of good folk and I have 2.5 people who work for me.

My friends keep telling me USA Today has listed newspaper journalist as the #1 worst job in the country. It's probably true. But I was lucky because for many years I worked at a place that wanted to do good journalism. Now I just have to figure out what my next career is.

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhhh, if only I could Sjors. But that requires both talent and customers willing to pay for your work - something I find in short supply. Depending on what happens with the sale of the newspaper, I might, however, take my sailboat out on the bay and do a little privateering. Just have to find someone to issue me a letter of marque.

I have had a few jobs. My first 5 years was as an electrical engineering apprentice finishing as a draughtsman - hated it!!!!!! It lasted 6 months before working as a field service engineer.

Following that I served 20 years in the RAF as an avionics technician. This had to be the time of my life.

Since leaving the RAF in 1997 I've spent 2 years in Oman, 3 years running my own pub, semi retired to Spain for 4 years. When the recession hit we had to return to the UK where I am now a HGV driver.

A varied life and I have no regrets.

• 2 weeks later...

Twenty Four years as a structural steel fabricator.The company I work for has been responsible for numerous high profile jobs in the UK.Probably most relevant,is we were responsible for the hull reinforcement,then jacking up and subsequent supporting steelwork for the Cutty Sark in Greenwich,London.

Kind Regards Nigel

• 2 weeks later...

I am attorney in Serbia, Belgrade, country with (in my opinion) no regulated legal system, with over than a 30 years of practice ( 12 as lead lawyer in different companies and banks, and 18 in advocacy - private practice)

I am currently a mechanic for CSX railroad but I spent 22 years paving roads and testing the patients of our fellow men and women, I ran movies when I was in high school.

Such great diversity out here on MSW.

Happy modeling,

Marty G.