Duchess of Kingston by Usedtosail - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

I finally finished the yards with all the blocks and foot ropes. I'll leave the parrels until I am ready to add each yard.

IMG_1746.thumb.jpg.e4c64cccf626d84f034c4bbc119a0ad1.jpg

I have started rigging the bow sprit by adding the gammoning. Adding the stays and sprint sail yard will be next.

Thank you Glenn. They took a bit of time but were fun to make and rig.

I am working on the rigging of the bowsprit shrouds and stays and the lower mast shrouds. I had to drill out the holes in the stem for the bowsprit stays because of the serving on the lines. I was a bit apprehensive about it but I just drilled half way from both sides and it worked out fine. I also had to drill out two eyebolts so the served line would fit through them for the bowsprit shrouds. I am working on a lot of lines at the same time as it takes time for the lacquer to dry on the fixed seizings.

IMG_1747.thumb.jpg.df6bf0ed68c9ae7d029997c20e8820f9.jpg

The bowsprit rigging is completed as are all the lower mast stays. I can now tighten and tie off the deadeye lanyards, then start the ratlines.

image.thumb.jpeg.3039084433c4ee294e3a2d1480609a1a.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

Its been a while since the last update but I have been making some progress with the rigging. I finished rigging the lower shroud deadeyes and the stays. I started to move onto the futtock staves and ratlines by first enlarging the supplied plans that show the ratlines to the same scale as the model, cutting out the shroud sections and gluing them to some manila folder material. I trimmed them to fit behind the shrouds and immediately saw that the mizzen mast was too high! The mizzen mast top was almost as.high as the main top, so I should have noticed it sooner. I made the mast the correct height but it did not fit all the way into the hull when I installed it. So off came the mizzen shrouds and stay and out came the mast. I trimmed the bottom of the mast to fit more into the hull and checked the height, which was now good. I was able to salvage most of the shrouds but I did have to remake one pair and the stay. These are now re-installed and I just need to tighten the shroud lashings and tie them off to the shrouds.

IMG_1784.thumb.jpg.c35a1f9ebd5ad9fe4d70030a4e033f39.jpg

While I was reworking the mizzen mast I also started adding the futtock staves to the fore and main shrouds.

IMG_1785.thumb.jpg.41d3931f4226fe4b30f7781a2fb1a949.jpg

I have also started making the futtock shrouds using the supplied PE hooks. I did have to carefully drill out the holes in the hooks to fit the line for the shrouds.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Glenn and for the likes.

After a nice week's vacation in Canada I am back in the shop. I have finished installing the futtock staves and have started adding the catharpins and futtock shrouds. I apologize for the crappy photos but I find taking pictures of rigging not easy.

IMG_1864.thumb.jpg.39f5968a5132d2340632719e8cc7d28f.jpg

image.thumb.jpeg.482b57159655b5cb99fdee25b0eb8638.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I have finished the standing rigging for the lower masts, including the futtock shrouds and ratlines.

IMG_1865.thumb.jpg.229222e9b12a4052bd62ec450884bca9.jpg

IMG_1866.thumb.jpg.ead75a8e001ed1984c53923c47d7dedb.jpg

I have added the topmast to the three masts, which I glued in place to make sure they stay straight. I just wish I had remembered to include the few blocks I stropped previous that go between the mast top and the cap on the fore and mizzen masts. I will now have to strop them in place, which shouldn't be too much extra work.

IMG_1868.thumb.jpg.491116d6be1817bc1bc3a77103f5cc1b.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Stropping those blocks to the masts was not very difficult, so once they were in place I was able to add the topmast shrouds, the topmast stays and preventer stays, and the backstays. I served these lines like their lower counterparts. On the backstay pairs I seized a short piece of served line in the middle as a cut splice. Working from the mizzen mast to the fore mast, I first seized the deadeyes to the ends of the topmast shrouds and added the lanyards, but did not tighten them up yet. I then added the stay and preventer stay but again did not tighten the tackle lines yet. Finally I added the backstays, tightened them, then the stay and preventer stays, then finally the topmast shrouds. I found this the best way to keep everything taught without pulling the masts out of alignment. I am still working may way up to the bow, with the mizzen topmast just about finished.

IMG_1874.thumb.jpg.10d613f0451e9bba9b1a5c4d12a44892.jpg

IMG_1876.thumb.jpg.f2c79964116470045051b4e581978dd6.jpg

I had a bit of a scare when I was adding the fore topmast stay and preventer stay. I started to tighten the tackle lines and the bowsprit decided to come unglued and slid back into the hull. I realized that the only thing holding the bowsprit was the glue in the hole in the bitts which didn't; really make a good gluing surface. Nothing was pulling the bowsprit forward. So I held the bowsprit in the bitts with some clamps and drilled a small hole through the bitt into the bowsprit and put one of the nails that came with the kit into the hole. I cut off the excess nail and put a drop of brown paint on the end to hid it. Now the bowsprit can't move and I could continue rigging the stays.

IMG_1872.thumb.jpg.22096567dbdfdffcc0b7c290b620baa5.jpg

IMG_1875.thumb.jpg.dc359791775654383051b10c2a6685df.jpg

Next I'll be adding the topmast futtock staves and the ratlines, then rigging the topG shrouds on the fore and main masts.

I finished cleaning up the topmast shrouds and added the futtock staves. I used pieces of thin wire for these and tied them on with fly tying thread b because they are so small. That thread looks nice when done but it is sure a pain to work with. It is so thin that it is hard to grab and tye and being black it is very hard to see. But I persevered and eventually got them all tied on. I used some thin CA to fix the threads to the wire to really hold them in place.

IMG_1879.thumb.jpg.6ba22762ac462707e5a2ec2d95f466db.jpg

I started the ratlines with the mizzen topmast shrouds but I need to seize the topgallant shrouds to the topmast shrouds at the futtock staves before I can add the ratlines on the fore and main topmasts.

IMG_1882.thumb.jpg.aa560153e9f138940a4d635ae8e598c9.jpg

I glued the fore and main topG masts in place but not before I added all the blocks (not like last time). I will now add the topG shrouds and the topmast ratlines, but I am also preparing to add the crows feet. I stropped 2mm single blocks to tie to the stays and also stropped them to the euphroes. Those blocks are the smallest I have ever worked with, but I was able to use the same technique I use on larger blocks. I also stropped hooks to thimbles for the ends of the preventer stays and the main topG stay.

IMG_1883.thumb.jpg.1aa8906da56b9e97cba75ceb03994064.jpg

Standing rigging of the main and fore top Gallant shrouds and stays continues. I added the topmast catharpins then the topG shrouds. I then added the main and fore topmast stays. I am currently tying the ratlines to the fore and main topmast shrouds, then I'll add them to the topG shrouds.

I also added the mizzen crows feet. I am using the supplied 0.1mm thread for these. The first thing I had to figure out was how to thread these when the top has an even number of holes (it is supposed to have an odd number and the line is supposed to start at the euphroe). I sketched it out on paper and it took a few tries to get it, but then I used the sketch as a guide.

IMG_1890.jpg.3000d193f83b69824782df21b1a7260c.jpg

Threading these requires running the line down through the mast top but also up from underneath. I found it impossible to thread the line from underneath even with CA on the line. Not being able to see the hole just made the end go limp after a few tries. So I tried using an eyeless needle, shown in the above image on the right, and it worked a treat.

IMG_1887.jpeg.b4282a9220380dde6fe3659cc1b25777.jpeg

IMG_1889.jpeg.59cf2abb7e62c5c823424ca226caba6f.jpeg

Here is how the crows feet came out. I have the blocks just tied off to the stay for now but I am pleased with the result so far.

IMG_1891.jpeg.b01cb8b53e0d6c25da82eaddb96c95a2.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Another milestone - the standing rigging is completed (almost). I left the fore topG stay loose for now in case I snag it (again) while adding the running rigging.

IMG_1898.jpg.9a1913cb991f5b27547560cb0a594198.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg.515478cc2e00263f0a22fac61911129f.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg.467fde19a4822cbd7550f2ce8728cdfb.jpg

Now its on to the running rigging, starting with adding the yards to the masts.

• 3 weeks later...

I now have all the yards attached to the masts with various parrels or slings. I replaced the black beads that came with the kit with brown seed beads that I had of roughly the same size. I am still in the process of running the ties for the topG yards down to the mast tops and deck. Without the lifts and braces attached the yards are not leveled yet. I have started rigging the lifts for the sprit sail yard and will be adding the lifts for all the yards next.

IMG_1908.jpg.8ae6c657b77e5260a1203de40a055caa.jpg

IMG_1909.jpg.3557f4ebc68e4c42245084da8ba6c5e7.jpg

IMG_1910.jpg.488ea3b8f6a0bd7ab9240f29b696e0f1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Been reading your build log over a few sessions Tom, and just caught up.  Beautiful, clean work on this model.  Very nice indeed!

Gary

Edited by FriedClams
Spelling

Current Build   Pelican Eastern-Rig Dragger  

Completed Scratch Builds

Rangeley Guide Boat   New England Stonington Dragger   1940 Auto Repair Shop   Mack FK Shadowbox    

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you Gary and for the likes.

Here are some quick shots showing the completed rigging, except for the anchors. I finished adding the lifts then the braces, adding rope coils as I went along. I also tightened up and fixed the fore topG stay.

IMG_1949.jpg.1a352a64ef24af60e71311512f6b662a.jpg

IMG_1951.jpg.b91ec34d7cda32e1701d1235f6e5b22d.jpg

The final steps are the anchors and the display stand. I am assembling the supplied anchors using black construction paper for the irons on the stocks. I wrapped the anchor rings with tan line and fixed the ends with some lacquer. I still need to trim the ends of the paper after the glue dries and tie the anchors to the lines I already installed on the model. I also added cat blocks to the cat heads, using a couple of left over double blocks, and will hook them onto the anchor rings.

IMG_1950.jpg.02b2fe8179dd79b24de7a7fdedeca7d5.jpg

I will take better pictures when the model is completed, probably later this week.

Edited by usedtosail

Thanks Glenn and the likes.

I finished adding the anchors this morning.

IMG_1952.jpg.8fab3e38e69bfc598fc929cb9dc8921a.jpg

The model is now completed! I have to say I am really impressed with the work of @chris watton and Vanguard. This kit was my first Vanguard kit and it was so much fun to build without too many frustrations or headaches like other kits. The level of detail on these kits is amazing too.

I will be making a case for the model and then delivering it to our friends Joanne and Paul, who just bought a house here on Newfound Lake. This is the second model I have given away to friends and I am so flattered that they want them in their homes. 

As it says in my signature, my next build will be the Vanguard Speedy. I have wanted to build this ship since the kit came out. I am building it for our first grandchild, Thomas Joseph (TJ), who was born at the end of January. His nursery is already a nautical theme so it will fit right in, but not until he is old enough, whenever that will be. I'll start a build log when I start the kit, probably around April or May.

For now I need to clean up the workshop and take some glam shots of the Duchess. I'll post some here and in the gallery, probably next week sometime. Thanks for your interest in this build and happy building yourselves.

Fantastic model, Tom. Very well done!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thank you Glenn, Bob, Dave and Gary, and for those that pressed the Like button. I really appreciate it.

I am in the process of uploading better pictures of the completed Duchess to the gallery. Have a look there if you want to see more of the model.

Lovely model Tom. Well done!

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

• 1 month later...

Thanks Derek. Your Duchess is beautiful.

One last picture of the Duchess in its new case, which I finished today.

IMG_2123.jpg.03539834e167de425fbce26ca78b20bd.jpg

I will be delivering it to my friends later this week.