Something slightly different --Hammock netting populated.

I'd not really seen anyone on here making the hammocks for the netting-- had a go-- and apart from tidying some twisted up ones very pleased..so I will finish doing them for the final model :). I could not find a definitive on how they were stacked so I went for a simple ascetically  pleasing..

hammock 1.jpg

hammock 2.jpg

HMAV Bounty 'Billings' completed  

HMS Cheerful - Syren-Chuck' completed :)

Steam Pinnace 199 'Billings bashed' - completed

HMS Ledbury F30 --White Ensign -completed 😎

HMS Vanguard 'Victory models'-- completed :)

Bismarck Amati 1/200 --underway  👍

On 9/10/2021 at 3:59 PM, DennisL said:

great looking model.  Hammocks are a nice touch!

Thanks , surprised more people don't do it..I am planning to do furled sails too.another less popular thing to do...

On 9/12/2021 at 3:39 AM, DennisL said:

I made furled sails for the Medway Longboat using an article I found in one of the tutorials.  I never used Silkspan before but the sails came out looking great.  Good luck!

Good tip--- I am pondering about which material to use.

Actually, I have seen quite a number of models with hammocks in their boxes/netting and people discussing ways to make them, from rolled toilet-paper to epoxy putty ...

The hammocks were tightly packed against each other - storage space was precious and not the whole crew's hammocks could normally be stored that way. 

Here is an image of a contemporary model of the French BELLE POULE (1834) in the Musée de la Marine in Paris, as fitted out to retrieve the remains of Napoleon I:

image.png.3e390da7436073a25971068c481de8cf.png

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Here is a different approach 🙂

Victory-130725_8916.jpg.fb5e9e0c9b517738

Victory-140706_4746.jpg.abff04e4f88572ac

To victory and beyond! http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/76-hms-victory-by-dafi-to-victory-and-beyond/

See also our german forum for Sailing Ship Modeling and History: http://www.segelschiffsmodellbau.com/

Finest etch parts for HMS Victory 1:100 (Heller Kit) and other useful bits.

http://dafinismus.de/index_en.html

Good Evening Ian;

One thing which may be worth knowing if you have not yet started making all the hammock rolls, is that once the hammocks were stowed in the netting, they were covered with tarred or painted canvas, usually black or very dark grey, to keep them dry. This was certainly done in the Royal Navy, maybe not for French ships. Sailors did not want to sleep in soaking hammocks. Most likely, the nettings were lined with lengths of canvas, like a long trough, so that the hammocks were stowed inside it. Once the netting was full, one edge of the lining could be turned over the top and tucked down behind the other side, to create a seal. 

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

Good Evening WE;

That does seem a likely thing, now that you mention it!

All the best,

Mark P

Previously built models (long ago, aged 18-25ish) POB construction. 32 gun frigate, scratch-built sailing model, Underhill plans.

2 masted topsail schooner, Underhill plans.

Started at around that time, but unfinished: 74 gun ship 'Bellona' NMM plans. POB 

On the drawing board: POF model of Royal Caroline 1749, part-planked with interior details. My own plans, based on Admiralty draughts and archival research.

Always on the go: Research into Royal Navy sailing warship design, construction and use, from Tudor times to 1790. 

Member of NRG, SNR, NRS, SMS

2 hours ago, Mark P said:

Good Evening Ian;

One thing which may be worth knowing if you have not yet started making all the hammock rolls, is that once the hammocks were stowed in the netting, they were covered with tarred or painted canvas, usually black or very dark grey, to keep them dry. This was certainly done in the Royal Navy, maybe not for French ships. Sailors did not want to sleep in soaking hammocks. Most likely, the nettings were lined with lengths of canvas, like a long trough, so that the hammocks were stowed inside it. Once the netting was full, one edge of the lining could be turned over the top and tucked down behind the other side, to create a seal. 

All the best,

Mark P

Thanks .a great bit of info

• 1 month later...

Does anyone out there in MSW know the dimensions of the hammocks and what was the "standard" way of folding them?  I assume the was a "proper" way they were stowed. Looking at the many examples on MSW, they appeared to be rolled length-ways and folded in half?

Just thinking of maybe adding some to my Bounty, not that I know where they would have been sowed on a small vessel like Bounty. 🤔