Tamiya USS Missouri 1:350 1944 Era Photo Etch

tmj

I've been sitting on a Tamiya 1:350 USS Missouri kit for a very, very long time. It's the 1944 version, model #78008. It's time for me to get going on this model. I've already purchased what 'appears' to be an accurate wooden deck for this kit (Scaledecks.com), but I'm now really struggling to find a photo-etch 'up-set' that I feel confident in doing this particular model any real justice. There's a few PE kits out there, but none of them are listed as being a match for my 1944 era scheme, nor the #78008 Tamiya model number. Not sure if anything else that I'm finding will actually be close enough, or not. "Any suggestions as to where I can locate a good PE set that will prove to be a somewhat accurate/good match for this particular kit, reflecting the 1944 details?" Doesn't have to be perfect. Nobody would really know the difference if it was 100% accurate, or not. "I wouldn't even know!" I just want to make sure the PE kit will actually fit my model in a respectable manner. Good PE kits aren't exactly cheap, and I'd rather not waste money on something that won't work because I purchased a set that I simply thought 'might' work...??? 

Box Art.jpg

Box End Panel.jpg

"The journey of a thousand miles is only a beginning!"

Current Build;

Corel HMS Victory Cross Section kit "BASH", "Active build!"

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Scratch Build of USS Constitution... on hold until further notice, if any.

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

LOL... "Welcome to my world!" I've also seen a few 'Pontos' videos where the PE was totally wrong, in certain areas. Kinda 'not' looking towards Pontos anymore.  

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

1777 Continental Frigate 'Hancock', Scratch Build, Admiralty/Pseudo Hahn Style, "In work, active in CAD design stage!"

In dry dock;

Constructro 'Cutty Sark' ... Hull completed, awaiting historically accurate modifications to the deck, deck houses, etc., "Gathering Dust!"

It's a rather long YouTube video, showing some major aft deck discrepancies via the Pontos kit. If I can remember which video that was, I'll certainly post the link. As for my search... I think I finally found what I need. Gold Medal Models sells two separate PE kits for the 1:350 Tamiya WWII Missouri. $70 each, but if further research proves these kits to be as good as I believe they are, "I'm in!"  

FWIW... The inaccurate Pontos kit was 'not' for the WWII version of the Missouri. It was for the 1991 version. If I remember correctly, Pontos doesn't even sell a PE kit for the WWII version 1:350 battleship. If they do, I just wasn't interested in taking the chance.

Edited by tmj

Current Build;

On the Drawing Board;

In dry dock;

1 hour ago, tmj said:

It's a rather long YouTube video, showing some major aft deck discrepancies via the Pontos kit. If I can remember which video that was, I'll certainly post the link. As for my search... I think I finally found what I need. Gold Medal Models sells two separate PE kits for the 1:350 Tamiya WWII Missouri. $70 each, but if further research proves these kits to be as good as I believe they are, "I'm in!"  

FWIW... The inaccurate Pontos kit was 'not' for the WWII version of the Missouri. It was for the 1991 version. If I remember correctly, Pontos doesn't even sell a PE kit for the WWII version 1:350 battleship. If they do, I just wasn't interested in taking the chance.

Here is a 1:350 Tamiya 1991 USS Missouri that was built using the Pontos set, along with details from Infini, right here on MSW