Lines from above

Hello confused sailor, welcome to MSW.

Good question, now I want to know as well.

Why not post something in the new members introduction thread (and maybe tell us if there is a story behind that screen name 😉 ) ?

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Hi CS

Your question really is a good one  but to which lines, ship(s), era are your referring?  A little more detail  might help get some helpful information.   I know I would like to see this as this question was raised here at MSW not too long ago but no answer based on contemporary information ever came up. 

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

There are lines that belay at the base of a mast.  There are bitts and sometimes pins or cleats on a mast.  Rather than set up a situation wear a line would constantly rub by going inside the floor of a top and then on to the side, I would expect it would be more efficient to go outside the floor to the side of a ship. 

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

The problem is: going outside the tops to the side does not work: the lines would need to cross through the standing rigging, and chafe at the outside of the tops (tops being fairly wide)

depending of where the line starts, and needs to end, it is going through the lubbers hole, or through a hole made in the floor of the top. See eg edT's log on the Young America showing how it was done in the American Clippers. 

Jan

Hi  Amateur

When I agreed to Jaager about roving the lines outside the top I ment from the top to a place aft of the shrouds, not through them, and of course avoiding to interfer with the side of the top. This is seen on more modern ships.  I suppose lines can be roved to mastfoots, through the lubber´s hole and aft of the shrouds as long as they do not with anything else.

Regards 

confused sailor

On 9/18/2021 at 9:39 AM, confused sailor said:

Hi  Amateur

When I agreed to Jaager about roving the lines outside the top I ment from the top of a mast to a place aft of the shrouds, not through them, and of course avoiding to interfer with the side of the top. This is seen on more modern ships.  I suppose lines can be roved to mastfoots, through the lubber´s hole and aft of the shrouds as long as they do not with anything else.

Regards 

confused sailor