Square for well squaring stuff

meddyliol

Just bought the OcCre HMS Beagle. I was wondering if it is worth buying a small stainless steel square to ensure the frames etc are square. I know I could make a   wooden one but a metal one would be more accurate. I will probably need some help as I go along as the last ship I attempted (I think is was the USS Constitution, the one in Boston Harbour I believe) was a disaster when I got to the planking so gave it away. feel more confident now though. Kit was purchased from Hobbies in the UK.

Thanks

Brian

Hi Brian,

I have a four piece set of steel machinest squares and use all of them on every build, so yes, I think these are a good investment.  I use them on fully framed models and bulkhead type framing as well.   Worst case, I would get a small one and a large one with the latter being at least as high as the cap rail from the building board.    Even with the square, be sure your building board is true in all directions.   For really small items and spaces, Lego blocks form the grandkids work very well for me, thanks to a tip somewhere here on MSW in the past year or two.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

We have an unspoken agreement after 52 years of wedded bliss.... The bliss is because  I say nothing when a QVC package arrives at the door and she says nothing when a package from Gilmer Woods, McMaster Carr, Syren, or other of my  sources arrives.  Even-Steven as far as we are both concerned.  I no more understand why she buys some things any more than she understands the stuff I buy, EXCEPT we both know if it gives each us some kind of pleasure in its own way that is enough for us to know.      

(A pretty decent set of machinist squares can be found for $30 or less.)

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

These ought to get you "squared away" for your build. They are all inexpensive enough that you should be able to cover them out of "pocket money" and she'll never notice it. If the packages arriving may pose a problem, have them shipped to a friend. 

Grizzly H2993 Machinist's Square Set, 4-Piece - - Amazon.com 2", 3", 4", and 6" squares set.  May be used in conjunction with each other. Essential for squaring in tight spaces. $28.45

71r-swv9JdL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

12'' Adjustable Sliding Combination Square Ruler&Protractor Level Measure Set | eBay Full featured combination square, protractor, center finder, bubble level, and 12" steel rule/straightedge (useful for cutting with a hobby knife as well as measuring.) $15.56

Image 1 - 12'' Adjustable Sliding Combination Square Ruler&Protractor Level Measure Set

Thin-Beam Square (micromark.com) Invaluable for cutting thin stock, particularly sheet stock. $19.95 from MicroMark, but if you sign up for their email catalog advertisements, these are one of their "loss leaders" when they have sales and can be had for half price on sale. Train Buddy regularly sells the same square for $17.39. Thin-Beam Square - Train Buddy™ but, when comparison shopping, don't forget to factor in the shipping to the total cost.

83261_R-01.jpg

Edited by Bob Cleek