French Ironclad Broadside Battleship Magenta 1861 by GrandpaPhil - 1/72 - As Designed - Card

Thank you all very much for the likes and the comments!

I greatly appreciate all the feedback and the technical assistance.  

Prior to buying my Solferino kit, I had no idea this entire epoch of naval history even existed.

To expand on Eberhardt’s point, here’s the cross-section of the hull, including the wood frame, and both interior and exterior planking with the armor plating:

DCD03B2D-944F-46BE-9B1E-99C8DC63146D.thumb.jpeg.db7fab41fd47c6e9a9261c8ca5669889.jpeg
This is at 1/72 scale.

The planking, with the iron plating, works out to around 13.5”, or 343mm, thick.  That’s about 3/16” in 1/72 scale.

120mm of that was the iron armor.  The other 220mm of that was the outer planking.

Also, the increased thickness of the outer planking around the waterline should be noted.

4B7832F5-CF09-4D3E-8B93-0B305A826E12.thumb.jpeg.ed4a779e0f99b639b8bf2612cdf399c2.jpeg

Here’s the detail sheet for the armor at 1/72 scale and then the original drawing, converted to .jpg format is below (the ones I found on the French Ministry Of Defense’s website were .tifs).

FA6F3BA5-0785-41F1-AEB9-CD87FA20B207.thumb.jpeg.e1ce3bfbe49966651ff00818f9cd4457.jpeg

I have to say, whoever designed this ship did a beautiful job of it, especially considering the tech level at the time.

I could not imagine trying to attach that plating to the hull.

I’ve done steel/iron working before.  That stuff is heavy and unforgiving.

Trying to maneuver one of those plates, which must have weighed at least several hundred pounds apiece, into place, punch holes in it (even if the holes were prefabricated), then drive spikes or rivets through it to affix the plate to the hull, must have been a job and a half.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

6 hours ago, GrandpaPhil said:

I’m assuming that was because of the weight.

I would believe so, or they were trying to avoid a Wasa incident. 😳

-Brian

Current Builds:                                                                                                 Completed Builds:

Mississippi River Towboat Caroline N.                                                    HMB Endeavor: Artesania Latina

USS Constitution - Cross Section: Mamoli

Non-Ship Builds:                                                                                              HMS Victory - Cross Section: Corel

New Shipyard                                                                                             King of the Mississippi - Steamboat: Artesania Latina

Battle Station Section: Panart (Gallery)

In Dry-dock                                                                                               Chaperon - 1884 Steamer: Model Shipways  

USS Constellation: Aretesania Latina                                                       USS Cairo - 1862 Ironclad: Scratch Build 

Flying Fish: Model Shipways                                                                               

• 2 weeks later...

There’s a discussion going on, on another build here which is discussing using a 45 degree planking technique to make a lightweight, but very rigid hull, especially after 3 layers.

I may have to try that planking technique for the inner hull because most of this model is going to be covered in either wood grain contact paper, “armor” plates or copper tape anyway.

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

• 2 weeks later...

Phil

Every time I look at this build I am struck by the quality and detail of the plans. Given the era of the vessel I think the plans are remarkable.

Keith

Current Build:-

Cangarda (Steam Yacht) - Scale 1:24

Previous Builds:-

Schooner Germania (Nova) - Scale 1:36

https://modelshipworld.com/topic/19848-schooner-germania-nova-by-keithaug-scale-136-1908-2011/

Schooner Altair by KeithAug - Scale 1:32 - 1931

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/12515-schooner-altair-by-keithaug-scale-132-1931/?p=378702

J Class Endeavour by KeithAug - Amati - Scale 1:35 - 1989 after restoration.

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/10752-j-class-endeavour-by-keithaug-amati-scale-135-1989-after-restoration/?p=325029

Other Topics

Nautical Adventures

http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/13727-nautical-adventures/?p=422846

• 1 month later...
On 5/30/2022 at 3:24 PM, KeithAug said:

Phil

Every time I look at this build I am struck by the quality and detail of the plans. Given the era of the vessel I think the plans are remarkable.

The detail of the plans are amazing!

I like going from the original plans.  It is a lot of fun for me.

I’m paying very close attention to the construction of my Mercury kit on how I’m going to design the actual building of Magenta.

The outer skin may be very thin with thicker frames/bulkheads.

I may end up covering the hull in a very similar fashion to the Mercury.

The lower hull covering only goes to the main deck.  
AA35278B-EE2B-4177-B030-4700754CF2CD.thumb.jpeg.eedcda069cb8713a41fe1bd0ada0338e.jpeg

I may do likewise and then make the gun deck covering in one sheet to make it easier to align gunports (also like the Mercury).

Chris Watton did that with the Revenge kit he designed for Victory Models, too.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

• 1 month later...

Drafted out the supports for the pin rails and Admiral’s Balcony:99928D3C-CFD9-4062-B50F-FE8076EBEF89.thumb.jpeg.7f2058e9699603d18dfbd3839b1e3feb.jpegA0AA1020-F140-43F7-BC07-4621AE16D963.thumb.jpeg.5de94e70ef32d54d13cedd178a58299f.jpeg

I have a lot to learn.

I know nearly nothing about mid to late 19th century warships (or ships period).

I really know nothing about steamships.

I have always loved transition era ships, but I never tried to build one before now.

I keep being reminded of my lack of knowledge while I am building the study model (Solferino).

That has been extremely valuable to learn how a mid-century ironclad went together.

My knowledge base ends about the Napoleonic Wars and War of 1812 time period.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

I also have the plans for several other 19th Century French ships from the French Ministry of Defense’s website.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

• 2 months later...

I just discovered that La Gloire had a barquentine rig, the same as Magenta at launching.

AAMM has plans for La Gloire!

This means that I need to place an order…

La Gloire looks like she got rerigged as a barque, too, after 1864-5.

I just found the barque sail plan on the French Historical Office’s website.

Although, I found this etching of La Gloire with her barquentine rig, on Wikipedia.7236F56B-6950-4960-B9CC-E95ED20C9693.jpeg.e424153e084f994fc03ab3e5c29c70f1.jpeg

• 3 months later...

Another thread on this forum is discussing solid hull models and it gave me an idea.

I have 2 maple trees coming down in the near future with limbs large enough to accommodate the hull of the Magenta.

The Revenge will take another year anyway, which will give the limb plenty of time to season and dry.

I have a draw knife to square the limb off and access to a bandsaw large enough to rough shape the hull.

Then I could use a grinder and a Dremel to shape it.

The hull on this thing is supposed to be nearly 1/2” thick anyway.

I could then plank the exposed parts of the hull much like I am going to plank the Revenge and cut armor plates and copper tiles to cover those portions.

The interior is going to be huge anyhow, so I’ll have plenty of room to work.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

• 7 months later...

The Magenta is definitely going to be built in exactly the same fashion as my model of the Hannah, hull wise.

I acquired the box that it will be cut out from, today.

The center keel and the bulkheads will be made from pieces of tri-wall corrugated cardboard.

That will be heavy enough to hold the shape of the hull in a modified POB fashion, especially considering how big this one is going to be.

Cutting will commence when I finish the Revenge.

I got pieces of heavy-ish cardboard for at least two of the decks now.

I will need between three and four decks total for this one.

There are two internal gundecks and then the weather deck, with a forecastle.

I might drop in an orlop deck too, just for structural integrity, which would be the 4th deck.