As evoked by Bruce, a simple formula can be used to calculate any bore (or roundshot) diameter, just knowing only one from a given calibre system. There were naturally some small individual variations for different reasons, but it usually works within production tolerances, at least for identification purposes.

Diameter1³                                  Poundage1
------------------------            =            -----------------------
    Diameter2³                                  Poundage2

For example, if you know that the bore diameter of a French 48 pounder is 19.4 cm, and you are looking for a diameter of a (theoretical) French 68 pounder gun, then:

19.4³            48 (pdr)
--------------  =   --------------
       x³               68 (pdr)

x³ = (19.4³ * 68) / 48 = 10343,63               =====>                x = 21.8 cm (bore diameter of a theoretical French 68-pounder)

For better results, avoid – if possible – mixing calibres of different systems used in specific countries.

Edited by Waldemar

Mates, since the model of schooner "Terpsichore" is going to exhibited in a Anniversary exhibition "Greece 1821-2021" this weekend,

here is a photo of her and the famous 48pdr cannon.   
The model has been built by my friend George Bouzounis whose some models of him you can see in below links.

https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/1534-greek-sakoleva/

https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/1538-skaphee-from-symi-island/

https://modelshipworld.com/gallery/album/1529-rowing-quottrataquot/
Thx

Zapeio-1.jpg.859f988923a5189b1bfdfb5d9a18635f.jpg 

635806702_Cannon48pdr.jpg.5ee9d89e5d08db3a4475832d2c6dd806.jpg

Edited by Thanasis

This is one of the finest models I have seen. The bow gun is lovely made too, but it is a classical long gun, and not a 48-pdr modern carronade you are probably striving for.

Perhaps the best course of action would be to scale the below British carronade drawing so that its bore diameter would be 180 mm (this calibre would be a 48-pounder for Hastings). This is not a British system calibre, but Russians were known to order large quantities of carronades from Scottish factories, perfectly conforming in its shape and proportions to the British pattern. Later made Russian specimens were also perfect copies of British specimens.

Some of them could be re-sold or given away to anyone, and also lost to the Ottomans.

001.thumb.jpg.0e625f4031b48e2fc95944cccdf977f0.jpg

003.jpg.6f2653bd93bea324457fc47addd13b91.jpg

002.jpg.e8ec97cb40f83cf42abe6ca13f8d6ab8.jpg

Good luck!

Thank you Waltemar.
As I have written (post 47) we decided to built the model of her gun, based on what most people have read  or imagine and on the plans that Delacroix posted (post 12)  which are given as an example in a text of a historian. 
We had to follow the paths where, either Tompazis had followed the developments on artillery, or he just  had the thought to upgrade his poor gunnery and place a loot on her schooner.
It's me, from our search team that I am (still ) following the first path, trying to find whether it might be something else...

Thank you

Edited by Thanasis

• 2 weeks later...

Could someone please translate the French text in simple English....

Many thanks

1931252443_GunneryofTerpsichore.jpg.b333d483f7bb5db64354c2d630beec3e.jpg

14 minutes ago, Thanasis said:

Could someone please translate the French text in simple English....

Many thanks

"The captain mounted the schooner Terpsieore with eleven guns, five on each side and one in the bow, to which were joined eleven other hydro-vessels. The largest of these vessels carry no more than twenty guns, nor the smallest less than eight. The strongest caliber of these guns is twelve pounds, a few single full guns are usually thirty-six pounds and sometimes even go up to forty-eight."

Not quite.
"The captain of the schooner Terpsicore of eleven guns, five on each side and one in the prow, to which were joined eleven other vessels. The largest of these vessels carry no more than 20 cannons, nor the smallest less than 8. The strongest calibre of these guns is twelve pounds*, some only go up to twenty; while that of the the Turkish guns usually weigh 36 and sometimes even goes up to 48".

*This is typical of the American fit of guns for vessels of this type and size. Also the 'up to 20' for a few nearly exactly matches the 18pdr claimed as a valid 'heavy gun' of one of these vessels.

Turkish guns, would more normally be found on Turkish ships, and the comparison is to show how small and light the schooners were, not to claim this weapon is fitted to the Terpsicore.

I would consider this to support a broadside of 5x 12pdr guns, of a relatively short pattern (7.5ft Blomefield/Armstrong might be suitable if English pattern), and a single 18pdr of 8 or 9ft in the prow.

Edited by Lieste

I thank you both.!
@Lieste. I think your translation  for the Ottoman's cannons (36pdr-48pdr) is giving sense to what I wrote in post 34-52, where the gunnery of the Gr ships, was upgrading every after a victorious naval fight and the historical record, that "Terpsichore" was searching for guns in Ottoman frigate wreck in Erresos. She might gained such a gun from there.!?
It's also make sense that you would consider of 5x 12pdr guns, and a single 18pdr of 8 or 9ft in the prow but you should know that Greeks, are not always follow the common sense...B)

And the riddle is getting worst ,since  this text says for 11 guns while Gr historic texts say for 7 in total (3x12pdr in each side and a 48pdr in the bow).:unsure:
Thank you

• 5 months later...

Hi all.

Comments please...

Thx

369332735_Cannon48pdr.jpg.94aaec7c7431a58d4a807fc08a707780.jpg