1955 Cobra by mtdoramike - Dumas

Here is my latest project, a Dumas 1955 Cobra kit that was "yes" an orphaned kit that a friend sent to me. But I will not be building this to kit specs. It will be moderate to heavily modified. The original 18' Cobra as with the 21' Cobra was notorious for poor handling, especially in turns and the stern or transome sat so low in the water that there had to be a cut water edge added to the rear sides and transome to keep the boat from being swamped. The kit is no exception. Now, the first modification probably won't help with the mechanics of operation, but will mainly be cosmetic because it is my kit and I can do what I want to it, which will be stretching the front section of the boat 3" from the cockpit forward. This will give it more of a front deck and look more proportional than the original which was 27" in length. But now it will be 30" in length. 

Next, I will try and address the stern section by building it up by 1/4" to 3/8" to give it a better profile in the water and hopefully help with the swamping issues. Lastly, I will address a glaring issue from the kit to the actual Cobra boat, which is the design of the transome (see picture). Hopfully this all goes well because with every action there is a reaction, so I will have to see which problems are caused by each modification.

You can see the corrected version of frame 9. In the photo of the two Cobra's, you can see the corrected transome on the Cobra to the right. These were compliments of Gary, a friend of mine. 

Wish me luck!  

DSC01402.JPG

DSC01411.JPG

Cobra aft frames.jpg

IMG0184A.jpg

I should have mentioned that like all orphaned kits that I adopt usually show up with missing parts, in a total mess and this orphan didn't disappoint hahaha. I have begun the transformation by stretching her out 3", adding another number 4 frame as well as another number 5 frame. You can see the additions with the lighter colored wood. 

DSC01404.JPG

• 1 month later...

If you like the seat, you will love the turtle deck (the fin one the back) I laid a base layer of shiney gold paint down, put a light coat of resin over the paint and once it had tacked up I sprinkled .004 gold metal flake all over the turtle deck and then lightly sprinkled .015 gold metal flake over the turtle deck as well. Then I gave it two more coats of resin. In the shade, it gives a little sparkle, but boy when the light comes on or the sun is out, it looks like the mirror disco globes from the 70's.

I was going for a really heavy flake, but my wife and friend talked me out of it, now I wish they hadn't. I was going for the look of some of the Hydroplane racing boats that used to race in Lake Dora back in the 60's and 70's. They had one there that I couldn't take my eyes off of as a young man back then. The Gold Flake was huge flake and boy when the sun hit it, it was really something to behold.     

DSC01454.JPG

DSC01450.JPG

Edited by mtdoramike

False decking laid, I also had to do a bit of fixin. Unfortunately when you modify a boat or basically anything for that matter, there are unforseen issue that will develope, one of which reared it'd ugly head a few days ago. When I installed the deck trimming mahogany wood, which was cut for a 27" model, not a 30". So it left an indentation on the sides of the trim pieces near where the windshield will go. So I had to scab in some scrap mahogany to fill in the dent. No big deal.  

DSC01461.JPG

DSC01459.JPG

DSC01457.JPG

Thank you DCW, the instructions call for the deck to be planked with 3/8" mahogany planking. But we all know I don't follow instructions very well, I find them to be more of a suggestion than a rule. I thought the 3/8" planking was to wide and looked off scale, so I decided on 1/4" planking, which to me looks more accurate to the Cobra's I have seen in the past. 

3 hours ago, mtdoramike said:

Thank you DCW, the instructions call for the deck to be planked with 3/8" mahogany planking. But we all know I don't follow instructions very well, I find them to be more of a suggestion than a rule. I thought the 3/8" planking was to wide and looked off scale, so I decided on 1/4" planking, which to me looks more accurate to the Cobra's I have seen in the past. 

You have a well trained eye for this, Mike. Years of experience. Looks perfect in size/scale to my eye.

Should have also mentioned, your choice of metal flake gold looks perfect for this era.

Edited by CDW

Thanks, that is what I was shooting for, one thing for sure, when it's out on the lake it will be hard to miss especially when the sun is shining because it sparkles like no bodies business hahahahaha. It kind of reminds me of those old choppers and tricked out hotrods from that era.

The humidity laid down a bit here in central Florida allowing me to finish sealing the deck with three coats of resin. A fellow asked how did I sand the deck around the gold trimming, I told him "very carefully". I used a dremel tool with a sanding sleeve to cut down the white caulking strips between the planking because it was a milimeter higher than the planking. I then used 80, 120 and then 220 sand paper to finish sanding the deck. I used 400 grit wet sanding paper to sand inbetween the three coats of resin.

DSC01486.JPG

On 12/22/2021 at 4:59 PM, mtdoramike said:

A few things left to do on her, but she will be finished shortly. With that said, I will start back on the Billings Nordkap and finish it and then if all goes well, on to the Billings Calypso which has been calling my name such as the siren of the seas.  

You will love the Calypso. I built mine 35 years ago and had it navigating on the mediterranean sea, and various lakes in France and America. I still have it and will refurbish it one day.

Yves

12 hours ago, yvesvidal said:

You will love the Calypso. I built mine 35 years ago and had it navigating on the mediterranean sea, and various lakes in France and America. I still have it and will refurbish it one day.

Yves

Hi Yves, would you post a few pictures of it? We would love to see it.

• 2 months later...

Well, The little 1955 Chris Craft Cobra orphan that turned into a beautiful swan has found a new home up in Jacksonville FL. The new owner couldn't wait to adopt the little beauty, it was love at first sight. I'm really going to miss that for sure. I miss all of them when they get all beautified up and sail away, but there are a few that really makes me a bit heart sick for a while, but then another poor little deliquent will show up and the process begins all over again.

I'm building the Billings Calypso now and feel that it could very well be my last one for a while. But we'll see, I never like to say never.  

• 1 year later...

Hi there,

That looks beautiful. My dad just passed away in March this year🥺 and he had one of those kits I was going to post it for sale. I'm curious would you be interested or do you know someone who would be. Just thought I'd ask you obviously build these boats with love and lots of talent. If your interested my number is 503-307-4018 you can text me or email me.