Picket Boat #1 by mdulaney - Model Shipways - Scale 1:24

I haven't built a ship model of any sort in a number of years, and I want to get back into the game, so to speak.  The last several I built were scratch, but I decided to get a kit with some thought in the direction of easing back into the skills required (also, I don't really have a stock of scratchbuilding supplies like I used to).  This kit happened to be on Ebay for a reasonable price, and fits in with my interests.

I have no comment on the hull; considering the lack of information on the prototype, I will build the hull as per instructions (more or less).

The steam plant, however, is another story.  Once again, there is a lack of prototype information, but the way the plant is depicted has a few issues I can see right off.  For example, the valve handles look modern to my eyes, and I'll need to research them further.  I'm also fairly confident that the main steam line would have been lagged.  We'll see what I come up with.

There is a well known drawing that you can find on the internet, of these Civil War era Picket Boats.  You can find it on the (US) Navy History Website.  I believe that came from Battles and Leaders of the Civil War.  Unfortunately I know of no scholarship to determine its accuracy.  So, is this an accurate drawing or something drawn years after the fact when memories were dim?

The most striking difference between the drawing and model is that the drawing shows a boat with a square stern vs the kit model’s round stern.

This leaves you with the problem faced by all kit builders:  Did the kit designer know something, or is this a feature added to increase marketing appeal.  

Roger

• 7 months later...