Lady Nelson by mrt88 - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 - First build

Hi all and welcome to my first ever build log. 
I was gifted the lady Nelson kit as a birthday present and I’m super excited to get started. It’s my first wooden ship kit so this is all new to me. 
I have been building model kits since I can remember but nothing like this before. 

as the instructions are a bit vague for a beginner like myself I’m reading through other posts first. 

are there any video instructions for this particular kit ? 

thanks all 

Just read lots of build logs for the lady nelson and take your time. You may also find a lot of helpful info in build logs for similar cutters such as the alert. Rushing will only cause things to take more time when you have to go back to correct previous errors.

You will make lots of mistakes. The great thing about working with wood is that most mistakes can be corrected.

Good luck and enjoy.

There are not likely any video instructions but there are plenty of build logs including mine to search and review. They’ll give you lots of help. Take your time and read the logs as well as keep up your own, it’s the best way to ask questions and get answers here on the forum. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

7 hours ago, glbarlow said:

Yes, that’s correct. I noted that in my LN log

That is we’re I spotted it. Thank you for that. 
im currently 3D printing some brackets to help me keep all the ribs square during glue up. 

im trying to learn all the ship’s terminology as I go. It’s all new to me. 

Good luck with that, I screw up the terminology all the time and I’ve been at this for a long while.  😂🤣

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

So far it’s been slow progress as I haven’t been waiting for some parts for my 3D printer. 
I have design some small alinement block, they have a right angle slot in them just over 3mm and hold each rib at 90 to the main hull. 
Hopefully that will help me when it comes to glue up tonight. 
Accidentally they also double as a stand. 
F5DB751F-B155-43C1-8E52-18CAA5EF76DA.thumb.jpeg.1dc9f557fcdf7682063bcfcf7d5c4969.jpeg719DC297-CD1B-4D3E-8A44-E066FB115813.thumb.jpeg.dd85d8353ff565ee8ebafbcc652da0f3.jpeg

So I have been working away on this last night. Got a little confused with the correct first step. 
I have seen some people go to glue up and other sand the shape into some of the ribs. 
in the end I decided to glue up the main sections. 

I am not to sure how to proceed from here though. 

here is we’re I go up to. All glued up nice and square. I’m finding the instructions lacking as a beginner. Just trying to piece together bits from other builds on here. 

if anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing. 

thanks all 

🤗
3FEF7A46-C7B9-4EB3-AC89-8D600D5E44B5.thumb.jpeg.878e5169528dc8778e5437808c8380c7.jpegE9012746-C2C2-416D-8C9F-1BFFA840EA3D.thumb.jpeg.85088d088de8a05d1f6539fb076639f6.jpeg

I haven’t built this specific model for next steps but have you thinned the deadwood past the bearding line? It would be something to consider before going too much farther. I think dry fitting the deck and installing that would be pretty soon as well. 

Amati seems to have a video series on the Lady Nelson on their website that may help as well.

It looks like you’ve sanded the deadwood area at the stern to accommodate both plankings at the thickness of the sternpost (which you don’t attach until after the second planking). Once you have the bulkheads squared up and glued into place the next step is fairing the hulls, sanding them front to back so that a batten (thin long plank) lays smoothing across all bulkheads most of the char should be gone when you’re done.

Use the search function for Lady Nelson builds, between looking at all of them, the Amati video, and the instructions you’ll be able to determine next steps in the build sequence a see examples how to do it.

Regards,

Glenn

• 2 weeks later...

Visually it looks good to me though this is an area that I didn't do as good a job as I should have and it made the planking a lot harder. I suggest that you take one of the thinner planks and hold it against the hull at various angles and locations to check the run of the hull. The key here is that the plank should lay flat against all the bulkheads. 

• 1 year later...

image.thumb.jpg.88d5ce1c996caf64b6b4f91a40d7a8eb.jpgHi all,

so after a long break away from the kit I am pleased to be back on it. I have made some progress but now stuck on the first planking stage.

i have never done it before and been collecting some bits to help.  

I need to get a pin pusher before I start but I’m confused on what’s best to get and what size pins I would need. Any advice would be great. 

Would I need anything else to thin down the planks at each end or is it just a case of sanding them ? 

I have attached so photo of where I am upto so far. 

Thank you all 

27 minutes ago, mrt88 said:

Would I need anything else to thin down the planks at each end or is it just a case of sanding them ? 

Do you mean taper the planks? If so i just used an exacto knife. If you look at glenn’s build log he likely detailed the process. If not you can take a look at my build log. Not the same kit, but also a cutter and the process is pretty much the same.

Edited by Thukydides

2 hours ago, Thukydides said:

Do you mean taper the planks? If so i just used an exacto knife. If you look at glenn’s build log he likely detailed the process. If not you can take a look at my build log. Not the same kit, but also a cutter and the process is pretty much the same.

Yes sorry tapering. That’s the word I’m looking for. 
I will go have a look at both build logs thank you for the advise 

You’ll definitely have to taper, look at many build logs, the process is the same, and search other parts of the forum on planking techniques. However be forewarned, there are many opinions on how, many of them contradictory. With my Nelson and every model since I adopted Chuck Passaro’s heat bending method and lining the ship to get correct widths. Lining for such a small ship as Nelson may not be more than good practice, but doing the math is essential. I think I described it in my Nelson, Cheerful, and Winchelsea logs enough to help (again planking isn’t model specific). So do the research and plan accordingly. 

Adding balsa filler at the bow and between first and second bulkhead will make things easier. 

Regards,

Glenn

• The title was changed to Lady Nelson by mrt88 - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64 - First build