HMS Bounty by Gct86 - Amati

Don,t be I managed to build it and it was my first period ship I built. There are a few blogs out there of this one which have been completed. There is also a few videos out there to help you along but I found out were inaccurate in quite a few ways but a big help to me personally . Good luck with the build and hope you achieve your goals. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

1 hour ago, Gct86 said:

I'm afraid...

Dont, just go for it 

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Looking forward to seeing this build!

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Amati kit has several mistake.

Istruction tell me to glue a 4x4 millimeters (sorry I'm european😂) plank for keel, but other keel components and falsekeel are 5x5 🤔

I check all the joints and I hope to glue without mistakes.

AOTS hms bounty helps me with some details (I can t reach perfection, but I will improve a little my model)

See you soonIMG_20211001_175128406_HDR.thumb.jpg.4eebd6f7c121513ec69090494e66fe8d.jpgIMG_20211001_175124501.thumb.jpg.53d1c516e3d2d7ee3bc44c57b8df811a.jpgIMG-20211001-WA0028.thumb.jpeg.c351c1233fc9dc87a1176608330fecb0.jpegIMG-20211001-WA0026.thumb.jpeg.e9a444415b0282892d8eb504ff23e4a2.jpeg

GCT86

Interesting screen name as it is the name of a color of a nail polish made by Odontorium.  

Regarding the thicknesses of 4mm and 5mm, maybe it has to do with the necessary tapering of the knee of the head both fore and aft as well as vertically.  Your model scale is 1:60 so 4mm is about 9.5 inches full scale.   

The stem and knee of the head assembly, if it is 5mm, makes sense, as it tapers from top to bottom to match the keel and from the stem to the fore side of the knee of the head to about 6 inches (3mm at scale)  There is actually a lot more to it but this taper is not always explained in kits even though it is an important feature.   

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

If I can remember the difference between the sizes 5mm and 4 mm is the second planking 2 x 0.5 mm. If you follow the videos 

above this is how I solved the problem by planking either side of the keel with 0.5mm second planking. 

Also I think you need to check that the holes in the deck,as they do not line up with the bulkheads . This is also mentioned in the videos. L also mentioned it in my blog of this build . However this may not be the case with your kit. Although the videos are innaccurate build for that period ( mainly the rigging) I found it very helpful and was the main reason I choose this build (Amati) over other manufacturers, was because of the 16 videos.There is lots of help from guys on here so you should be covered if needs arise  Hope this helps and good luck.Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Thank you Dave!

Many times I watch your videos on youtube!

Your bounty is amazing and you channel is an inspiration.

I try to learn somethings from videos and forum, but for me is very fun to think so much about problems and founding solutions myself.

For example I have discarted filling block on stern. Probably I was wrong, but I want to see what happen. ;)

1 minute ago, Gct86 said:

Thank you Dave!

Many times I watch your videos on youtube!

Your bounty is amazing and you channel is an inspiration.

I try to learn somethings from videos and forum, but for me is very fun to think so much about problems and founding solutions myself.

For example I have discarted filling block on stern. Probably I was wrong, but I want to see what happen. ;)

They are not my Videos .A different Dave.

On 10/4/2021 at 6:15 PM, Gct86 said:

but I don't know if I'm right

In my opinion not. The filler blocks seem to come more forward

Check out the Bounty build of DaveBaxt . 

Edited by Backer

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

I think you have the idea ,however follow the curve of the deck with the blocks at the top and continue to follow the line using a spare plank. I f I were to do it again I think I would either fit blocks just forward of when the planks first start to bend or fit another bulkhead  I always find when there is a hollow in the planks in this area and therefore I ended up having to use some filler,I don,t think the 1.5 mm x 6 mm walnut planks helped. I ended up soaking them overnight to make sure they would bend ok. I tried to follow Chucks method of edge bending the planks which also helped and tapered each plank. You can find Chucks method here on this forum.Hope this helps .Best regards Dave

Edited by DaveBaxt

Looks much better already 

Regards, Patrick

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just come across this log and really happy to see another Bounty under construction.  You are making great progress Gct86! 👍

I really like the copper weathering effect you have done, I tried similar on my Bounty using white vinegar and salt, but I see you have used a commercial product, what was it like to work with?

hello and thanks for your comments!

I wanted to build a dystopian bounty, in a world where the ship had not been burned by the mutineers and held in Pitcairn Bay for a long time. so I coated the keel with copper and used the AK burnisher, quick brush strokes. the copper was stained with cyanoacrylate glue so it was easy to create a smudge effect. then I drybrush some acrylic color mixed by myself to give copper oxidation. with a drop of glue cyanoacrylate then I glued some paper tissue painted in green, black and brown to simulate algae a little, but without exaggerating!

I'm glad you like it See you soon!

Really nice work…particularly impressed with the deck and of course your accomplishment on that coppering is fantastic.

Tim

Tim Moore

Perfect is the enemy of good

In progress

IJN Pre-Dreadnought Battleship Mikasa, 1:200, Hobby Boss

On Deck
DH.9a Ninak, 1/32, Wingnut Wings
The Blue Sky Company, 1:48, Sierra West Models

Completed  

Fiat 806 Grand Prix 1:12, Italeri; Fifie 1:32, Amati Victory Model; HMS Bounty 1:48, Artesania Latina; Endeavour 1:60; Corel; Miss Severn 1:8, Legend Model Boats; Calypso, Billing Boats; Carmen Fishing Trawler, A.L. ; Dallas Revenue Cutter, A.L., Bluenose, A.L.