Katy of Norfolk by Middyman - Model Shipways - 1:48 - Virginia Pilot Boat

This is my build log for the Model Shipways Katy of Norfolk Virginia Pilot Boat kit.  This is the plank-on-bulkhead version.  This is my second attempt at a model ship build.  My first being many years ago and I did not get far.  This particular kit I started some years ago and got as far as marking the false deck and gluing the frames.  The framed skeleton moved around my kit stash and storage, losing bulkhead extensions along the way and I found I few that I had saved and glued them back on.  So I am left with enough that should allow me to create bulwarks above the deck line or I could go with the log rail option.  But just in case I bought a second parts kit off eBay that had complete keel and frames figuring I could use those instead.  Turns out that kit was complete so I am going to use my original kit as a "training model" and see where it takes me.

My plan for this kit is to learn POB building and complete a kit.  This is one of many ship kits in my stash and I have others I want to get to but I am afraid of ruining or be unable to easily replace.  

With that, my plans for this kit are:

• Rig it with the two-piece mast and optional shroud lines.
  • Take a little "artistic license" and built it as a four gun privateer as it might have been in the War of 1812.  Deck cannon will give it some character and let me do a little scratchbuilding and cut some gunports.
  • If I can dig up some sail cloth, perhaps rig it with partial sails.
  • See if I can follow the great planking tutorial from Chuck and see if I can get most of my planks done without stealers.  I'd like to do this with a single layer of planking but have the second layer in case I screw up.  

With that, here are my pictures of my starting point. 

katy-001.thumb.jpg.162318a78e933ab04e3ec0568bab5e64.jpg

katy-002.thumb.jpg.dd045386edeb51cb525940b02e02d56c.jpg

katy-003.thumb.jpg.46baad44f3312d99b81092549bea78a6.jpg

This is where I am starting from.  The missing bulkhead extensions, the ones I could find replaced and the original false deck as I had marked it for mounting.  In reading through the instructions it said to cut the 1/16" rabbet after framing and deck mounting.  I decided that my first work would be file in the rabbet while the deck was not yet glued down.

katy-005-rabbet2.thumb.jpg.61f9a230b35446929116205c4e81fffd.jpg

Not much so far but official made wood dust!  I am thinking of making replacement bulkhead extensions from the outlines in the laser cut sheet and some scrap material.  So that will likely be my next work along with mounting the false deck.  

The shipyard is open!

Matt

katy-004-rabbet1.jpg

I’m looking forward to this.  I’ve been interested in this kit for a while as it’s a more detailed version of the Artesania Latina Swift pilot boat, which I am working on. 

I’m currently working on remastering the rigging and deck layout on my AL Swift to match the Katy. 

Tim

Current Build:  Swift Pilot Boat 1805 (AL)

On Deck: Triton Cross Section, Harvey (AL), Falcon US Coast Guard (AL), Flying Fish (Model Shipways)

Ah, memories! This was my first POB kit. Be advised, there are some issues with the instructions, unless they have been subsequently fixed. The biggest issue, as I recall, is that the instructions describe a single-planked construction, when the kit is in fact double-planked. I'll have to root around and see if I saved my construction notes somewhere (this was 20+ years ago).

Cheers!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

On 10/3/2021 at 9:44 PM, ccoyle said:

Ah, memories! This was my first POB kit. Be advised, there are some issues with the instructions, unless they have been subsequently fixed. The biggest issue, as I recall, is that the instructions describe a single-planked construction, when the kit is in fact double-planked. I'll have to root around and see if I saved my construction notes somewhere (this was 20+ years ago).

Cheers!

The plans show double planking but, as you state, the instructions are single plank with no mention of a second layer.  The kit came with the walnut second layer if I need it.

Matt

Ok, work proceeding.  Made paper templates from the original frame shapes to recreate the missing bulkhead extensions.  Then cut away a small piece of the original frame material to make the replacement extensions from.  Shaped, sanded and fitted to each frame.  A little rough on the inside but these get cut away once the bulwarks are installed.  Then test-fit of the false deck and cockpit prior to gluing down.

Paper templates for new extensions fitted to each frame that requires one.  Frame 6 needed two new ones.

katy006-replacementExtensions.thumb.jpg.c05a306cd4f0e2f61099253e5262358d.jpg

After the new extensions were installed:

katy007-newExtensions.thumb.jpg.31ba1f8829044b3cac90e0818daef052.jpg

False deck test-fitted.  It looks like I am back to where I started!

katy008-deckFit1.thumb.jpg.37c9bca9f190348aa40adba7cb4233f0.jpgkaty009-deckFit2.thumb.jpg.9e8fcd71a3e2b5d69025fee1dc4457e0.jpg

Next step is to glue down the false deck and cockpit and test-fit the stem, keel and stern post.

Matt