Toolman

I believe these items were painted white on Bluenose II and Bluenose 1921, so the woods you mention are not really necessary except for the tops of the houses and entryways.   If you want to have a light color though and no paint on the sides, good quality holly is a good choice.  For the top of the houses I think any of these "wood" work.     Look at photos of BNII for an idea of what they did, there are dozens of them to study.   Not sure there are any color photos of BN1921.  The below photo of BNII may help you.  Note that the tops appear to be the same color as the deck planking, but I have no idea if it would be the same for BN1921.

Allan

2135603433_BluenoseIIA.thumb.jpg.40111636fbdc1e04b4a071485a188b98.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

All those hold edge good when done properly. Ayc is easist to shape from those 3 i would say.

All those spices are offered by Modellers sawmill. Not sure about postage cost in US but maybe they can provide you with some samples if you ask and pay for postage.

Its best just to try them i would say.

Vahur

Hobbymill.EU

Yellow cedara and pear are great woods for overall modeling, however boxwood, more expensive, is better for smaller details like deck furniture. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

I agree with Vahur, they are all good for your purposes, but I have a preference for European boxwood (Buxus sempervirens) if it can be found, then a second choice would be Castelo (Calycophyllum multiflorum), which some people call South American boxwood.  The latter is far easier to find, but you might get lucky to find some Buxus logs as I have seen a few ads in the past month or two.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

The Modeler's Sawmill at http://www.modelerssawmill.com/ will have what you need and is a great resource for modelers.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

If there is a WoodCraft close to you, they have packages of Hard Maple veneer and Black Cherry veneer.  They are sheets, but a knife and straight edge can turn it into strip wood.

Maple is close to the color of the species of Pine used urr decking and roofs. 

AYC is soft - but it holds an edge well and the fibers do not roll.  There is no observable grain.

Pear and Castelo are very hard and also have no observable grain. 

Any of the five species will work as frame timbers, deck beams, keels  and everything else making up a hull.  Three that you ask about are also excellent for decorative carving.

Working any of them -   the danger is:  it will spoil you and you will not be satisfied with any of the cheap crap supplied with most mass market kits.   It could also seriously infect you with the scratch build bug. 

Edited by Jaager

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers

I just remembered = About the veneer.   Saw sliced is as good as any other stock.   But because sawing also involves significant loss to kerf,  the budget version of veneer is blade sliced.  There is no loss the kerf, but the wood comes off like pulling on a roll of Bounty.  This is unnatural for the wood grain and it always "wants" to return to the curled shape.  It will fight with the glue holding it down forever.

NRG member 45 years

Current:  

HMS Centurion 1732 - 60-gun 4th rate - Navall Timber framing

HMS Beagle 1831 refiit  10-gun brig with a small mizzen - Navall (ish) Timber framing

The U.S. Ex. Ex. 1838-1842
Flying Fish 1838  pilot schooner -  framed - ready for stern timbers
Porpose II  1836  brigantine/brig - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers
Vincennes  1825  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers assembled, need shaping
Peacock  1828  Sloop-of -War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Sea Gull  1838  pilot schooner -  timbers ready for assembly
Relief  1835  ship - timbers ready for assembly

Other

Portsmouth  1843  Sloop-of-War  -  timbers ready for assembly
Le Commerce de Marseilles  1788   118 cannons - framed

La Renommee 1744 Frigate - framed - ready for hawse and stern timbers