Greetings from the UK

Electlen

Hello from Len, I am a retired Electrical Engineer living in Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire. Not a prolific model maker, over the years I have only built a few boats. None to the high standards shown by other members of MSW. Here is the list:

Thames River Police Launch  

Scratch built circa 1980 - still being sailed.

Tug Flying Spindrift   

The largest and best of my boats. Kit with GRP Hull

Full size built 1986 and still in service albeit renamed FFS Atlas and currently operating in the Baltic Sea

HMCS Snowberry                               

WW2 Flower Class Corvette operated by the Canadian Navy to support the Royal Navy. Revell 1/72 plastic kit built for                                                                    radio control complete with lights, flashing signalling lamp, rotating radar and rotating forward gun

Club 500

Kit built to strict rules (www.club500slipway.com) for scale boats to compete in races. Great fun, not taken seriously

My excuse is that I have other interests. I help run the local model boat club, being the Treasurer and Membership Secretary for Watermead MBC (www.watermeadmb.club). I also like to design and build electronic circuits including making my own printed circuit boards. Speed controllers, switching units, servo controllers etc. for use with radio-controlled boats. Each circuit uses a programmable microcontroller so designing the software to achieve the required functionality is an added interest.

I joined MSW because, after some thought about a winter project, I purchased the Dumas 1/48 Kit for the Hudson River Tug Boat ‘George W Washburn’.  I was looking to build a boat in wood and was impressed by how it looked.  A bit nervous about the single plank-on-frame construction but have been looking at the excellent build logs which I am sure will be of great help and the numerous articles on the website about plank-on-frame construction. Once I get going, I will start a Build Log on MSW.

Hello Len,

A warm welcome to MSW from chilly Sussex.

I look forward to seeing a build log for the tug, several people here have a soft spot for working boats.

Regards,

Bruce

🌻

STAY SAFE

A model shipwright and an amateur historian are heads & tails of the same coin

current builds:

HMS Berwick 1775, 1/192 scratchbuild; a Slade 74 in the Navy Board style

Mediator sloop, 1/48 - an 18th century transport scratchbuild 

French longboat - CAF - 1/48, on hold

Welcome to MSW, Len.   We have a wide range of ship builders here.  Everything from plastic to wood, including RC builders.  Looking forward to your build log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)