Bussard 1905/1906 by VTHokiEE - HMV - 1/250 - CARD - Bouy Tender

I've seen some interesting card models built on this site and succumbed to picking up a few. I've built a few free models with so-so success, but hopefully I'll have a little more success with HMV's Bussard. I choose this model mainly because I could get it easily with the laser cut detail kit (and I think it was supposed to be an easier kit 🤞).

The details on the ship in the manual are all in German, but I was able to read up on the ship after translating a link from the manual (www.dampfschiff-bussard.de) and a few other details from another link (https://de.zxc.wiki/wiki/Bussard_(Schiff,_1906)) some pictures here: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Bussard_(ship,_1906)?uselang=en and finally the last link https://www.kiel.de/de/kultur_freizeit/museum/_museumsbruecke/tonnenleger_bussard.php.

According to https://www.kiel.de/de/kultur_freizeit/museum/_museumsbruecke/tonnenleger_bussard.php:

"The "Bussard" was commissioned by the Royal Hydraulic Engineering Inspection Flensburg on the Jos. L. Meyer shipyard built in Papenburg and delivered in 1906. The 40-meter-long special ship cost 224,000 gold marks, an impressive sum for that time. Initially stationed in Sønderborg, from 1919 the eastern Baltic Sea from Kiel became the operational area of the ship, which had the task of maintaining the navigation marks and thus securing shipping traffic.
Until the middle of the 20th century, the light buoys were operated with gas and had to be filled regularly. In addition, the "Bussard" took over supply trips for the lightship "Fehmarnbelt"."

Finally, a few pictures of the kit before I attack it with my knife 😁.

DSC_3317.thumb.JPG.1f30817e4ae61d92802f333c246738ba.JPG

DSC_3320.thumb.JPG.75dfbf83aad3a9c78e763f6a4263a404.JPG

DSC_3321.thumb.JPG.833188ffe08f02030f6151ac220d043b.JPG

Cutting these parts out certainly makes me nervous.

Bouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0005.jpg.f90f3502b583105e5a70ef124f5bc58b.jpg

I tried to get fancy and add 1/32" basswood to the bulkheads to give some additional gluing surface for the deck. It didn't go as planned so I deep sixed that thought for this build. I'm certain that I will encounter issues as I go, but it should be a nice enjoyable learning experience. I have finished placing the bulkheads now. I stumbled into using my quad hands base as a building play form at the moment so that I can use magnets to try and keep everything flat (another we'll see how this goes experiment).

Bouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0007.jpg.46f265b655875c31b3e132eeaea0fcd6.jpg

I've got my fingers crossed for you -- just holler if you need any advice. I also read German, so let me know if you need something translated.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

28 minutes ago, ccoyle said:

I've got my fingers crossed for you -- just holler if you need any advice. I also read German, so let me know if you need something translated.

Thank you, I certainly will. I have two Seahorse kits in the stash and I wanted to get a feel for this before considering those. I assume it will take a few tries to learn what precision cuts need to in order to make the whole thing come together.

I shall be following with interest  - you guys who  make and bend card/paper like this  and turn out  a  little wonder  - I take my hat off to you  - I couldn't do it.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

I'll tag along if you don't mind Tim?

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

59 minutes ago, Edwardkenway said:

I'll tag along if you don't mind Tim?

Love to have you aboard just remember the season if this turns into a horror film 😉.

I thought I’d be able to handle the bending from building a handle of metal models in the past. Sadly, (and I should have known) this is not quite the case, but I’m learning with every part I do. I’ll most likely post updates at the end of each step (and hopefully each step will show some improvement on the last ha!).

On 10/16/2021 at 7:39 AM, Canute said:

I'd like to follow along, too.

Glad to have you aboard!

I finished step 2 and I have to admit this is tricky stuff - I misaligned the deck and had some issues squaring the cabins when I installed them. I should have used some thin strip wood (or something to better align everything before installation. 

Bouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0009.jpg.59bbbf1bfa4065fb53c21bacdbee06ea.jpg

Also - this laser cut detail is crazy! I'm attempting to install a railing on at the moment before planking one of the sides - 😬. There is a bit of a learning curve working here I'm finding.

Hey Tim,

It looks great! I've never seen a card model before. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

Paul

On the Ways: Mighty Mite, Harbor Tugboat by pwog - NautiCurso - 1:64

Completed Builds:

Lobster Boat Red Baron (Bluejacket)

Sardine Carrier Pauline (Bluejacket) 
Swampscott Dory (BlueJacket)

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

3 hours ago, pwog said:

I've never seen a card model before.

Go to the top of this page, click the "card" tag, and prepare to be amazed. 😉

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

I stared at the printed railing, then at the laser cut railing, then back at the printed railed.. muttered some choice words and cut the printed railing off and glued on the laser cut railings. I think it came out decently - I wiped some white glue on the railing to attempt to harden the frail structure.

The stern was split into three sections (unlike the single section at the bow) and fitting the curve created a bump, not certain exactly how to overcome this yet (it almost would've been better to be a separate piece maybe? I'm not thrilled with how the stern planking came together (and I'm currently trying to fix the gap on the white strip), but it's not bad. I'll have to see if I can get the other side a little better.

Bouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0010.jpg.568fbb8b71dc7584d7c8f3538ed79eb8.jpg

Bouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0011.jpg.adce8c4736359e54b69fbb24be08227a.jpg

Bouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0012.jpg.189309a7bb02a1c065635e1476d1bcb8.jpg

Edited by VTHokiEE

Tim,

I'm just amazed that it's all paper,card stock! I think it looks great!

Paul

Completed Builds:

23 hours ago, ccoyle said:

Go to the top of this page, click the "card" tag, and prepare to be amazed. 😉

When he hit's the Doris builds, I expect to hear a jaw drop to the floor.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

13 minutes ago, mtaylor said:

When he hit's the Doris builds, I expect to hear a jaw drop to the floor.

Ummm, can I get a little help getting my jaw off the floor? Doris build - speechless 😶 

Paul

Completed Builds:

Looking amazing Tim  - how you work with  this medium  is amazing.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Looking good!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Ugh - I wasn't precise enough adding the side planking and the inner walls aren't aligning. I tried to trim one down and we'll see how that turns out... this is tricky stuff and I may be making a mess of it sadly.

9 minutes ago, EricWilliamMarshall said:

Par for the course; my fingers are crossed for you!

Thanks! I can see why @ccoyle wanted to use a wood blank for the hull on one of his builds. I'll have to think about how I'll approach the hull if I do something like this again. I have some other kits, but they are larger scale (and hopefully I'll be better for prepared for them).

I finished the step and here is how it is coming together. It is passable from a distance but I will be doing some paint touch-up (but I don't know if that will improve things or not depending how close I get on color so I've been hesitant to do it). However if you get close (as these pictures show) well...😬

Bouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0015.jpg.0756d1626982cd815c23db012f4734d8.jpgBouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0014.jpg.30811c5f065d49fac581da7b10b0dd35.jpg

Bouy_Tender_Bussard_HMV_0013.jpg.a6259c944507f5b6812b0fe55f85f45a.jpg

Card modeling is tough stuff... The model actually shows better in these pictures than in life I think the more I look at them. Truthfully I'm bummed at where I'm at, I had higher hopes but here we are. I'm going to do my best to push forward and continue trying to make each step better than the one before it but this step was rough 🙂.

Yep, these paper hulls can be tricky. I'll let you know when I've gotten one "just right" -- but don't stay up waiting. There's an after-market 3-D printed hull available for HMV's USS England -- it ain't cheap at $64, but that's what Christmas lists are made for.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

- Tuco

• The title was changed to Bussard 1905/1906 by VTHokiEE - HMV - 1/250 - CARD - Bouy Tender