Borodino by RN77 - Dom Bumagi - 1/100 - CARD

Hi Folks

Am new to this forum as I only registered a few months ago and this will be my first post. 

I have spent a lot of time drooling over some build diaries and am in awe of the amount of talent and skill on display. 

Thinking I may have left it a bit late in life to get into this hobby. 

Anyway I have been inspired by the build log of Captain Slogs Borodino. 

The way the “skeleton” is assembled keeping everything squarish seems like a good start.

Down side for me is the smaller parts. Seems like you need a lot of patience and good eyesight to achieve the desired effect. 
Plus the fact it is made of card keeping the build clean would be challenging for me. 

I managed to purchase 1/200 Borodino from the Ukraine

As I have access to a photocopier I have magnified the templates by 200% on to glossy card.

The templates for the hull were cut out and glued onto 2mm thick mdf and I am now in the process off cutting them out with a scroll saw and finishing them off with a disc sander. 

Will post pics of progress once I work out how to do it

Thanks for looking

Welcome to MSW.  I hope you'll do a formal into in the New Member Intro area to tells abit about yourself, etc.  https://modelshipworld.com/forum/3-new-member-introductions/

I'm looking forward to seeing your log.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I look forward to following this build log with Borodino being an obvious favourite of mine.

Chris, I am guessing this is the Dom Bumagi kit as I think Orel do a couple of the other 'Borodino' class ships but forget which ones.

Perhaps this log should be moved to the scratch build section as it sounds like he is using the Borodino kit as a basis for scaling up to 1/100?

Cheers

Slog

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

HM Bark Endeavour (First Wood, On Hold)

Borodino (1:200 Card, Current Build)

Admiral Nakhimov (card 1/200)

Mazur D-350 Artillery Tractor (1:25 Card) 

F-8 Crusader (1:48 Aircraft, Plastic)

Hi Folks

Thanks for comments

Yes it is the Dom Bumagi version apologies for not being clear

Made a start on cutting out the templates

As you can see in the 3rd photo the line representing where you are meant to cut away the area on the two parts making up the keel does not align

I thought it may have been a hiccup when enlarging on the photocopier and was going to recopy them again tomorrow.

I checked the keel parts on the original template and found that the line did not line up either..so no worries there then lol

Will try uploading pics now

Thanks for popping in

cover.jpg

lower hull1.jpg

line.jpg

Looking forward to seeing this build!

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Good afternoon Folks

Thanks for comments and thumbs up...appreciated

Cut out the slots on the deck ....took longer than I thought using Swan Norton blades, fingers still intact but gained a blister after half an hour

I'm just a wee softy lol

As the templates were glued to the mdf with a carpet spray they peeled away quite easily

I did manage to break the fwd deck where frame 1 goes when trying to cut out the slots in the narrow area but just glued it together again

As that area will get filled not too concerned

The idea of doubling the size of the templates to 1/100 scale was to prevent me from making silly mistakes like that but heyho

Dry fitting parts to make sure they are not too tight a fit and are going to be square

Thanks for looking

lower deck.jpg

lower aft frames1.jpg

lower aft frames2.jpg

lower aft frames3.jpg

Coming along nicely. Have you decided how you are going to ‘plate’ it when the frame work is done?

_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

4 hours ago, Captain Slog said:

Coming along nicely. Have you decided how you are going to ‘plate’ it when the frame work is done?

Hi Captain Slog 

I will firstly put a reduced frame either side of each frame

This will give me an edge to lay “planks” on proud of the frames using balsa or mdf strips

This will then be sanded down flush with the main frames. Hence the red felt tip…STOP sanding 

This should hopefully give me a good surface for using thin planks of wood for “planking” the outer hull as concerned not to make it too thick increasing the size of the hull.

Also was thinking of “plating” as per the card model using the glossy card??

Not sure if that is a good idea but it would have a ready made smooth surface. 

Sounds a bit long winded🤒 but it keeps me occupied 

Ah that’s good, planking between the ribs will give you a solid basis to cover without blowing out the hull dimensions.  Personally I think the second covering with some kind of sheet material (paper, card, styrene etc) would be quicker and easier to produce a smooth finish as you say.

When you come to construct the upper hull framework just be mindful of ribs OSp 12a & OSp 12b.  These are doubled together when fitting and although different in shape its not clear from the plans the order. The rear one dictates the curved tumblehome on the rear section of hull.  I had them wrong way round when dry fitting but noticed in time when it came time to glue.

Good Afternoon Folks

Thanks for the "heads up" Captain Slog very much appreciated

Decided to continue with the lower hull rather than continuing with the upper decks framework

I photocopied the frame templates at 196% and glued them to 3mm mdf

I considered removing the horizontal decks but I must have got glue on them as they would not slip out

Now I have to quarter each reduced frame thats eight pieces per frame. Lucky me🤪

Maybe just as well as the deck helps keep the frames squareish.  That should keep me busy for a while

Thanks for lookin'

edge1.jpg

Good Afternoon Folks

As this part of the build can get a bit tedious for me I thought I would spread it throughout the week, doing a wee bit at a time.

This would then give me my Sunday morning time in the shed listening to the radio to start filling in the hull.

Unfortunately the clocks went back an hour last weekend so by the time I get home its dark.

Makes it less appealing for me to head to the shed after tea. Too comfy in the house.🤗

The styrene tube is only there at the moment so I don't clog up the holes with glue.Giving it a wee twist now and again as the glue dries.

Being a Scotsman I didn't want to throw away the sawdust.🤑It can be mixed with glue and used as a filler when required.

The bow and stern sections will be filled in completely with balsa

edges1.jpg

edges2.jpg

edges3.jpg

edges4.jpg

Edited by RN77
spelling

14 hours ago, mikegr said:

nice clean work. Hull looks not easy for a beginner. I suggest you work with balsa than MDF for plating the hull as the latter has some issues with humidity and need some special treatment. Balsa is the no1 alternative for us that our modelling wood market is restricted.

Hi mikegr

Yes I have some sheets of balsa that I am cutting into strips, this should give a smoother hull once sanded

than if I used mdf. (Out to the shed at the weekend to start gluing)

When sanding mdf I think the fibres separate leaving a “fluffy” surface. 

As for this particular model being suitable for a beginner, I am building in stages so if I make a pigs ear of it I can try that section again as I have copied the templates. 

I most certainly could not build this model out of card using the original parts, as I would only get one shot at getting it right. My lack of skills, patience and heavy handedness would soon see it in the waste paper basket.

Thanks for looking

8 hours ago, RN77 said:

Hi mikegr

Yes I have some sheets of balsa that I am cutting into strips, this should give a smoother hull once sanded

than if I used mdf. (Out to the shed at the weekend to start gluing)

When sanding mdf I think the fibres separate leaving a “fluffy” surface. 

As for this particular model being suitable for a beginner, I am building in stages so if I make a pigs ear of it I can try that section again as I have copied the templates. 

I most certainly could not build this model out of card using the original parts, as I would only get one shot at getting it right. My lack of skills, patience and heavy handedness would soon see it in the waste paper basket.

Thanks for looking

I am building my first project from a card model to wood and there are some things to be considered for a successful make. 

Spare plans is a must. I already ruined a complete hull(for other reason) so i restart now.

One key factor is to adjust thickness of wood accordingly. For example if you use a 3 mm wood for deck you need to calculate this to the total hull height (as paper deck has almost 0 thickness). Otherwise you need to use thin woods. There are quite thin and strong woods to work with starting at just 0.4 mm. However they are not available in many countries and the cost is considerable. Balsa below 1.5mm thick is very fragile unless you harden it with chemicals, like resin or other.

Edited by mikegr

Thanks for your concerns mikegr

Another one of my reasons for scaling up to 1/100 is the wooden decking.

If I lay the deck template flush with the top of the frames rather than sitting on top this should allow me to use 2 mm planks without gaining any height.

I am not too concerned about gaining or losing a mm here or there on the hull as I am doing this for enjoyment to see how I get on—and a learning curve😋plus I won’t tell anyone 😂

Using a thin veneer,if any sanding is required then I think I would lose the caulking effect between the planks and the deck would become one piece.

I can get confused with the debates I have read —some say that at such and such a scale you would not be able to see the separate planks.If that is the case then why can I see rivets etc.

Or in this model the card shows small details on the upper hull but the lower is plain.

Thinking about it too much makes me dizzy.

More than happy just to go along with the designers interpretation perhaps using a bit of modellers license if I get brave enough

On 11/10/2021 at 3:16 PM, kriszmesz said:

Oh, I've realized just now that this is a new line of  reports . I wish you a lot of success especially with skinning the lower hull. This is my most worrysome section. 

Mine too

Have made a start with filling in between the frames.

Now beginning to realise that she is pretty big. Who's idea woz this to double the size🙄

This stage will take longer than anticipated.

The planks are glued down only where the elastic bands are

Thanks for lookin'

balsa 1.jpg

balsa 2.jpg

• 1 month later...

Good Evening Folks

Found this stage to be a bit of a slog (sorry Captain)filling in between the frames.

Nearly there but thought I would post my progress so far and had a slight mishap when lifting into position for photo shoot.  Nothing that can't be fixed tho 🤔

The planking is very thin after sanding in some areas

I could have avoided this by

1. making the frames smaller and thicker to allow for planking on the outside

2.being more careful in the first place when fitting the edges to each side of the frames to make sure planks would  not be too proud of the frames

Thinking about covering the hull in thin paper once planking is complete to offer support to any area that is thinly planked.

Pretty sure I read that idea somewhere

Still have to spend a lot of time slowly going round the aft area by the prop shafts

Thanks for looking' and if I don't speak to you soon have a Merry Xmas and see you's in the New Year

balsa.jpg

balsa6.jpg

balsa1.jpg

balsa2.jpg

balsa3.jpg

balsa4.jpg

balsa5.jpg

Looking good!  

That’s unfortunate about the section that staved in.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Very nice work on getting the hull shape RN

I think that if it was me, (After getting the hole in the hull fixed) I would be tempted to use some VERY thin fiberglass cloth and cover the entire hull. That would restore some of the thickness you feel you have sanded away while restoring some strength. At the same time it would create a surface that when sanded down would create the smooth surface you want.

Either way good luck and hope your Christmas is all you hope for.

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Well done for sticking it out, its looking great.  I know what a slog it is as I half heartedly attempted the same with a paper Bismarck I started years ago but got fed up with it. Saying that my next paper hull will get the same treatment to prevent denting the paper and having to fill and paint.

Good idea about the fibreglass. Perhaps its possible to just use the resin component of it although have zero knowledge in all things GRP.

Cheers

Slog 

• 2 weeks later...

Evening Folks

Thanks for comments and thumbs up

I have been making slow progress with shaping round the prop shaft area ...don't think I will get that finished till sometime next year🙄

Made some thin sanding sticks to make it easier sanding round this area...nearly there

Decided to start planking the outside of hull before I put my fingers thru the thin balsa again😝

I am using 1mm thick strip wood and when this is sanded should not make the hull too "fat"

Definitely feels a lot more sturdy in the areas that have been done

Best wishes for the New Year

2nd plank1.jpg

2nd plank.jpg

2nd plank2.jpg

2nd plank 3.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Good Afternoon Folks

thought I would post my progress after 4 weeks since my last post and still not completed the outer planking but getting there ever so slowly

In order to stop me sanding flat spots on the circumference of the prop shaft I added a metal washer.

Stop sanding when you hear that 'horrible screech of sandpaper on metal🤮

The original model templates show no depth of detail for the lower hull but I have come across RGL's model at 1/350 scale with some nice hull plate detail etc

Thinking about having a go at mimicking the detail

Or maybe less is best incase I get carried away

Have sanded some of the hull and I think I can get away with adding more depth to it

Thanks for lookin'

smooth5.jpg

smooth6.jpg

smooth.jpg

smooth1.jpg

smooth3.jpg

smooth4.jpg

Looks to be going well.   BTW, what this that mallet used for?   I hope not driving in your planking pins.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

18 hours ago, mtaylor said:

Looks to be going well.   BTW, what this that mallet used for?   I hope not driving in your planking pins.

Hi Mark thanks for looking

Couldn't find my big hammer which is just as well as I can be a bit heavy handed at times

Taking a break from the lower hull I spent a pleasant afternoon cutting out the frames for the upper hull

saw.jpg