French Ironclad Solferino 1861 by GrandpaPhil - FINISHED - Orel - 1/200 - CARD

Superb  build  Phil mate   you should be rightly proud  -  stunning  work.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

Really, really good!!

I have been following along, it's been quite a journey, probably more so for yourself. 😀

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Thank you all very much for the comments, for following along and all the likes!

I had a lot of fun with this build and learned a lot!

I built it from the base kit, which comes as a booklet.

I paid $35 on Amazon for it.

From Orel’s website, this kit runs about $20 plus shipping.

Orel Models is operational again and back in full production.

They also have upgrade sets for this kit, like laser-cut sets, photo-etch sets, masts and decks.

I did not buy the upgrade kits, because making and fabricating parts is my happy, and how I relax.

Shipping takes a while because Orel is based out of the Ukraine and the current situation there.

I used aftermarket deadeyes and leftover blocks from my bits box for the rigging.

Eyebolts came out of annealed steel wire.

Masts, yards, gaffs, and replacements for a couple cannons that I accidentally destroyed, came out of dowel rods, bamboo kitchen skewers and toothpicks.

Lessons learned and notes about card models in general:

The ends of toothpicks are great for rolling tiny parts.

Be very careful grabbing small card parts with tweezers, they are very easily crushed.

Take your time.

Monte Mart glue works great and doesn’t cause the problems that American white glue causes, like warping.

Edge paint and seal everything as you go.

For future models, I will just copper the hull.  It’s not difficult and only takes a day or two.  It looks infinitely better.

Don’t be afraid to bash a card kit, it is a lot closer to a wood kit than you would think.

Don’t be afraid to try a card kit, it is a lot closer to a wood kit than you would think.

Don’t try to build a model in card if you would not build it in wood.  Card models and wood models are very similar.  You will run into the exact same issues that you will with a wooden one.

Card kits are easily rescaled to suit.

Card kits make great templates for wood models if that is your inclination.

Card models are cheap, so you aren’t really out much if things go wrong.

Lastly, I like card models, from scratch or from a kit.  The tooling is a lot simpler.  They make less mess and they look as good.

Edited by GrandpaPhil

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Well done, Phil. Turned out nicely.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

Wonderful work.  I think this era and ship type are seldom done yet attractive because they are so "different".  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thank you very much!

I had a lot of fun with this model.

Building: 1:64 HMS Revenge (Victory Models plans)

1:64 Cat Esther (17th Century Dutch Merchant Ships)

On the building slip: 1:72 French Ironclad Magenta (original shipyard plans)

On hold: 1:98 Mantua HMS Victory (kit bash), 1:96 Shipyard HMS Mercury

Favorite finished builds:  1:60 Sampang Good Fortune (Amati plans), 1:200 Orel Ironclad Solferino, 1:72 Schooner Hannah (Hahn plans), 1:72 Privateer Prince de Neufchatel (Chapelle plans), Model Shipways Sultana, Heller La Reale, Encore USS Olympia

Goal: Become better than I was yesterday

"The hardest part is deciding to try." - me

Beautiful work! I feel like my card attempts always fall short - but you and @ccoyle inspire me to keep trying! I need to figure out a workflow for edge painting for future endeavors.

• The title was changed to French Ironclad Solferino 1861 by GrandpaPhil - FINISHED - Orel - 1/200 - CARD