HMS Snake by jim_smits - Caldercraft - First Build

I've fixed the missing pictures in that series of posts.

Suggest you check other pages because there are missing pics on pages 16 through 19.

Edited by DFellingham

post-70-0-74663700-1362476559.jpg

Current Builds:  ESMERALDA Chilean Navy School Ship, 1/640 in a bottle

insanity Dan Clapp's hard water race boat in a bottle

Completed Build:  Prairie Schooner OGALLALA 1/96 in a bottle

Research Project:  Cruizer-class Brig-Sloops

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy." - Benjamin Franklin

I like it Jim, think there is definitely evidence for the frapping, its a much more workmanlike solution than the coiled ropes which look nice but not very practical for a variety of reasons.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jim

as I see you have'nt used any cleat at the bowsprit as a guide to secure te gammoning of the main bowsprit.

Did you encounter any problem in practise after that choise?

My plan is to leave the bowsprit natural (uncoloured) so I'd like to avoid those wedge-shaped walnut guide-"stoppers" of the gammoning line, especially for aesthetical reasons.

Thanks.

Hi Jim

as I see you have'nt used any cleat at the bowsprit as a guide to secure te gammoning of the main bowsprit.

Did you encounter any problem in practise after that choise?

My plan is to leave the bowsprit natural (uncoloured) so I'd like to avoid those wedge-shaped walnut guide-"stoppers" of the gammoning line, especially for aesthetical reasons.

Thanks.

Hi mate,

I actually went back and re-did my gammoning on the bowsprit and added in some cleats to aid the gammoning process. Looked fine as I painted but not sure how to achieve this on a wood finish.

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 3 months later...

........................ Did a quick check of the mast orientation. There was a distinct lean to the right from the front view. Quickly sanded down the bottom and added a shim to straighten it out. All good!

Hi Jim.

At this step, you mean that you have sanded down a bit the hole of the deck from the side (right) of the mast tilt?

Thanks 

• 4 months later...

And back to the Snake build.....!

Looking to get started on the spars but I have a question regarding using a hand drill as a lathe. I understand that obvious the drill itself must be braced in a jug of some type but I am unsure as to how brace the other end of a dowel to be turned. Any ideas?

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I was actually just messing with this myself tonight.

My solution was quick and dirty. I just drilled a hole slightly larger than the diameter of the dowel in a piece of scrap wood, and then clamped that. With the drill clamped in one jig, and the tip of the dowel resting in the hole of the clamped piece of scrap wood, it kept everything secure. You just need to make sure you account for the length of the tip of the dowel resting in the scrap-wood hole so your overall spar length is accurate.

Once you get your spar down to the near finished proportions, you just have to cut off the bit from the tip and the end that was chucked in the drill and hand fiinish those sections.

I was actually just messing with this myself tonight.

My solution was quick and dirty. I just drilled a hole slightly larger than the diameter of the dowel in a piece of scrap wood, and then clamped that. With the drill clamped in one jig, and the tip of the dowel resting in the hole of the clamped piece of scrap wood, it kept everything secure. You just need to make sure you account for the length of the tip of the dowel resting in the scrap-wood hole so your overall spar length is accurate.

Once you get your spar down to the near finished proportions, you just have to cut off the bit from the tip and the end that was chucked in the drill and hand fiinish those sections.

Hi Kevi, any related photos??

Jim,

I made a DIY lathe kind a jigg from a drill and a drill head and lathe centre. In the image you see only the centre, but later I added the drill head so I could change the tool at the opposite side of the drill

post-33-0-38262300-1422366445_thumb.jpg

maybe something to use s reference material ...

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hey, Jim! How do you find Caldercraft kit? I compared Flying Fish from Model Shipways and Supply Brig / HMS Jalouse from Caldercraft and have some doubts in Caldercraft's manufacture. Totaly love what MSW does, but Caldercaft looks a bit... cranky to me.

What's your opinion? How good's your kit? Is it easy to build? Do part fit well?

Just want some on-the-fly opinion :-)

Hey, Jim! How do you find Caldercraft kit? I compared Flying Fish from Model Shipways and Supply Brig / HMS Jalouse from Caldercraft and have some doubts in Caldercraft's manufacture. Totaly love what MSW does, but Caldercaft looks a bit... cranky to me.

What's your opinion? How good's your kit? Is it easy to build? Do part fit well?

Just want some on-the-fly opinion :-)

Hi

I've found the kit itself to be pretty good although the main weakness are the plans and instructions as this seems to be an earlier model. That being said it's a good kit for what you pay and can be enhanced easily with some aftermarket upgrades like carronades, blocks and rigging thread.

Ultimately your choice but I've been happy with Snake.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Jim,

I made a DIY lathe kind a jigg from a drill and a drill head and lathe centre. In the image you see only the centre, but later I added the drill head so I could change the tool at the opposite side of the drill

attachicon.gifdiy.lathe.012.jpg

maybe something to use s reference material ...

Carl,

Couple of quick queries.

1) Presumably the lathe centre has inbuilt bearings and can be mounted directly into a block of wood?

2) For mounting a drill chuck, did you have to 'acquire' a separate bearing? (i guess a radial bearing is best in this case)

Cheers

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Jim,

1/ The centre has built-in bearings, it is as we call it a self revolving centre. At first I only used the centre, but changed it later to a chuck for versatility.

2/ The drill chuck I mounted fixed, however, if you want it to rotate, you'll need a bearing, whichyou can take out of an old broken drill if you've got one of those ... and radial would do. It is only a spinning action it needs to perform and the pressure won't be more than the weight of the chuck and centre (or other insert)

If you want more pictures, just ask ...

Carl

Ok. Made a good start on the large over the weekend. Went to B&Q and bought some timber and got the handsaw out and made some sawdust....!

Base is done, together with the sliders for the end plate section. Initial brace for front drill is also done. just need to build up the support for the drill itself now and drill the hole in the end plate.

Spare chuck has arrived and just waiting on a couple of radial bearings

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Chisel arrived Friday. Gave it a sharpening using successive grade of sandpaper over a ceramic tile. Probably can get it sharper with more effort

Think there will be a bit of a learning curve and I think trying to fabricate a tool rest will help. Did some test runs on 8mm dowel and it's tricky to say the least. Perhaps flexing of dowel under pressure doesn't help?

Anyway, a little way off attempting my actual yards yet......

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I polished the edge of my chisels with a sharpening stone for skates ... It has two sides: One for sharpening and the other one very fine for polishing. Use the stone to sharpen my kitchen knives too ... Does that tell something about me ...??? I sharpen the chisels on a rotating sharpening stone (machine), and finish it off by hand.

You have to watch out giving too much pressure on the wood, as you may end up with a wobbly yard in your case. The flexibility and thickness of the piece you are turning needs to be considered. The thinner the easier it will bend. You could tackle very thin pieces with sandpaper ... You just loop it around the wood ... N.b. A course grid will leave you with wounderful grooves

Edited by cog

Carl

Cheers Carl,

I think i'll try to do the ends with a chisel as there is more material to remove and they will be closer to the fixed points anyway and then fniish and polish with sand paper.

Playing about with techniques at the moment before committing to actual pieces.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo