HMS Snake by jim_smits - Caldercraft - First Build

Nice Jim, glad I'm now firmly in your wake :-)  One thing I noticed aftert doing the tiller rope and the aft platform was that I just can't see how you could reasonably work even the smallest stern-chaser from the rear ports, just seems far too constricted.

Hobbits with muskets perhaps....?!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Quick update.

I have now managed to fit all the channels, with their associated chain assemblies. It is now that I am very glad that I spent the time ensuring that the main wale was placed correctly, to ensure the chainplates fitted in the right place.

I am now finishing off the hull detail now. Touching up paint on the chain assemblies, adding eyelets in the correct places, adding the last few pin rails, a final touch up of the paint job and then a further layer or two of varnish to protect everything.

Really nice adding the detail and seeing the hull come alive!

After that I have 16 carronades to assemble, rig and fit. Joy! Got to say that the supplied carronades were not very good quality castings, and if the cost of buying turned brass replacements wasnt so high I might have gone down that route.

I will add some images in the next few days once everything has been polished off....

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Bring on the pictures Jim!  I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the placement of the the wales as well, however, that was a long time ago when I was still assuming the plans were highly accurate (like the pirates code, I'm taking these as being more of a 'guideline')...nothing can be done about it at this point anyhow so fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hello,

Quick update to add some images so far. The hull is pretty much finished! I have spent some time touching up paintwork and trying to make sure that all the required eyelets, cleats, holes etc have all been added.

I will now varnish the while lot. Still trying to decide whether to use my brush on Polyurethane varnish or use a couple of coats of a spray on varnish. Primarily I want to make sure that everything is as protected as it can be before adding all the masts and rigging.

Next step is to build and rig up the remaining carronades.

I have also shaped the first part of the bowspirit and also stained in walnut as described in the instructions. The colour is extremely dark and my first gut instinct was that it seemed a little too dark, but I may be just fussing over nothing.

post-465-0-10402600-1366716612_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-55643800-1366716613_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-56318500-1366716614_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-95407100-1366716615_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Quick query.

Putting together my first anchor and the instructions call for the 2.5mm rope to be used which makes sense, but then this must be threaded through the first grating. The grating in question is constructed with a couple of cross beams missing to allow for the rope but the three main beams do not allow enough room to thread the rope through. Is it worth removing the outer two beams at the front to allow enough room with just the central beam in place.

Make this makes sense.

post-465-0-85793100-1366891400.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Jim, even though I'm taking a slightly different approach, I wrestled with this as well.  I actually bought some Amati 2mm thread a long time ago to replace the stuff in the kit.  I read somewhere on MSW 1.0 that the supplied 2.5mm rope was probably too big for such a small ship (6.3" real scale) and more appropriate for a ship of the line.  I'm sure others can comment on the veracity of that, but going with the slightly smaller size would be a solution as this should fit in the grating holes without major surgery.

Edited by Beef Wellington

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

I believe that the bowsprirt is in yellow ochre and matt black not stained wood.

norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

I would think that part of the grating would have to be removed if you want to use the kit supplied rope which is what I would think they did back in the day.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

• 2 weeks later...

Jim,

Good progress since my last visit, you're really showing her off. It seems Jason is hanging back to let you make the mistakes ;) Any hobbits left? I could use a few in the yard - without the popguns however.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

• 2 weeks later...

Taken me most of today to rig up one carronade. Breaching rope and also a set of tackle have been rigged up. Need to touch up the eyepins and hooks and then thats the first carronade complete. Only 17 more to go......

Hi Jim

these carronade eyelets and hooks belong to the standard kit supplies or did you get them afterwards?

What;s the size and type of the blocks that you have mounted?

Thanks

Stergios 

Edited by Stergios

Hi Jim

these carronade eyelets and hooks belong to the standard kit supplies or did you get them afterwards?

What;s the size and type of the blocks that you have mounted?

Thanks

Stergios 

Hi Stergios,

I ordered some extra rigging hooks and eyepins and rings to rig up the carronades. The blocks are 3mm singles and doubles.

I am in the process of rigging my carronades. I will take some images as I go, so hopefully should give some hints.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Pete,

Hi Jim, your build is looking great, please could you tell me the thickness of the two ropes that you used for the carronades.

Cheers,

Pete

Off the top of my head I seem to remember 0.25mm for the tackle lines and 0.75mm for the breaching rope.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 3 weeks later...

Things are a bit less hectic so back to the build it is!

Putting together my last 8 carronades. Then rigging for the 16 not yet rigged.

A quick question. Have tried to create coiled rope, coiling out from the centre but this seems to be really tricky. Would a piled coil of rope on the deck be more or less appropriate?

First things first though. In Portsmouth to visit HMS Victory and warrior this afternoon. Plenty of pics for future modelling inspiration!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 1 month later...

Doesn't life just seem to get in the way!

Been a while but found a little time to get back to the build. Hopefully be able to post a bit more regularly again.

Still working on the carronades but decided I wanted to improve the figurehead I had installed. I didn't like the way I had it before so instead removed it, and reworked the fitting. Comments welcomed!

First image is a before, and second two afters.....

post-465-0-31211800-1375543670_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-78390600-1375543687_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-51818700-1375543689_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Carronades all installed! Deck really starting to look the part now.

I just need to touch up little areas. The mounting pins will need to be fixed properly to the sills and painted. The breaching ropes are going to be fixed to the deck and weighted down with a bit of watered down PVA glue.

After that I need to take on the tackle for the carronades. I had already rigged up the first two Carronades and had been asked about the process so I will follow up with some images of the stages I am following. Watch this space!

post-465-0-30984100-1375729066_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-87607000-1375729068_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-13197200-1375729071_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

The mounting pins will need to be fixed properly to the sills and painted. ...................

After time I took the decision to only fix the sills to the lower gunport's quadrant without any drill or pin....

Just a personal option 

Busy making all the tackle and rigging for my carronades so here is a demo of each set of block and tackle used. Two sets are required for each carronade.

There are three steps:

Double block and eyepin

Single block and hook

Link the pair

First off, the double block and eyepin:

Using 0.25mm rigging thread, cut a length of 6 - 8cm. I prefer slightly longer as I find it easier to manipulate. Tie a half knot.

post-465-0-48483700-1375991680_thumb.jpg

Tighten over the double block, with the knot closest to the double holes. Dab a little cyano on the knot to seal it shut. I use a little length of planking cut to a point to apply.

post-465-0-27067900-1375991683_thumb.jpg

Thread one of the loose ends through an eyepin.

post-465-0-14733800-1375991686_thumb.jpg

Tie a half knot and then thread the other loose end through the eyepin.

post-465-0-99669900-1375991688_thumb.jpg

Tighten the knot and again dab a little cyano on the knot on both sides of the eyepin.

post-465-0-22177800-1375991691_thumb.jpg

Trim the loose ends as close to the knot as possible. The cyano will hold the knot shut.

post-465-0-50244600-1375991693_thumb.jpg

Using pliers cut the eyepin down to leave around 2-3mm length to be slotted into bulwarks once the entire assembly is complete.

post-465-0-87908700-1375991695_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Second, the single block and hook:

6-8cm of 0.25mm rigging thread. Tie a half knot.

post-465-0-62419600-1375992485_thumb.jpg

Semi-tighten the knot over the single block with the knot closest to single hole. Cut another length of 0.25mm rigging thread about 10cm long. Thread about 1cm through the loop on the block opposite the knot. Tighten the knot fully and dab cyano to seal.

post-465-0-61682700-1375992488_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-32318900-1375992491_thumb.jpg

Thread one of the loose ends of the knot (not the additional length of thread) through a rigging hook.

post-465-0-30055000-1375992494_thumb.jpg

Tie a half knot with both loose ends and tighten. Dab cyano on the knot on either side of the hook.

post-465-0-33430500-1375992497_thumb.jpg

Trim off the loose ends as close to the hook as possible. This leaves the additional length thread. This will be threaded through the two blocks to create the pulley system.

post-465-0-20120200-1375992500_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Link the pair of blocks to create the pulley system:

I now have a double block and eyepin, and a single block and hook.

post-465-0-70916500-1375993351_thumb.jpg

Thread the length of rigging thread through one of the holes in the double block.

post-465-0-42018900-1375993354_thumb.jpg

Thread back through the hole in the single block.

post-465-0-68778000-1375993356_thumb.jpg

Thread through the remaining hole in the double block.

post-465-0-97394400-1375993358_thumb.jpg

Tighten the thread to the correct length required.

post-465-0-32948900-1375993361_thumb.jpg

The eyepin and hook can then be painted black. Finally, the eyepin is glued into a hole in the bulwark and the hook is hooked over a eyepin glued to the carronade base.

Repeat another 35 times......!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I tried to paint the pin and hook before rigging the thread but found the paint just rubbed off anyway.

I always use a metal primer on all brass and copper parts that need painting, try that if you want to paint parts before fitting them. I then don't have any problems with paint rubbing off...

Previous build -  HM Schooner Pickle
Current build -    HMS Snake 1:64
Future Build -      Sergal Cutty Sark