HMS Snake by jim_smits - Caldercraft - First Build

Hi Jim

what have you done with those fenders? Have you used the parts provided by the kit?

Thanks

There were some pre-cut parts in the kit, which were a tapered shape, and also the instructions mention cutting extra from 4x2mm walnut I think.

I'm at work at the moment. I'll try and take a picture when I get home.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

There were some pre-cut parts in the kit, which were a tapered shape, and also the instructions mention cutting extra from 4x2mm walnut I think.

I'm at work at the moment. I'll try and take a picture when I get home.

No detailed instructions for that, Jim.

Finally I made my own fenders like the others.

Thanks anyway.

Another question Jim if I may.  Didn't see it in your earlier posts but apologies if I missed it, what line are you using for the ratlines?

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Looking good Jim

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Hi all,

This will be my last post for a little while as I am off to Scotland for a weeks holiday with my significant other. I have however just about managed to finished the first set of ratlines. I still need to touch up some of the lines that aren't nice and taut but the vast majority of the work is complete. It feels like it's been a bit of a slog but it looks great with the ratlines added.

When I return it will be onto the top masts and stays.....

post-465-0-83893700-1384459683_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-81540300-1384459685_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-05283700-1384459688_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Enjoy your holiday.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

I have the faintest if internet signals on my phone so I can still keep up with events.

Found a floating pub converted from a Dutch barge just by the cottage we are staying in. Very pleasantly surprised to discover a completed Victory and a Cutty Sark in glass cases.

Rather funny as these are the eventual goals for my self and AJM77 respectively.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I have the faintest if internet signals on my phone so I can still keep up with events.

Found a floating pub converted from a Dutch barge just by the cottage we are staying in. Very pleasantly surprised to discover a completed Victory and a Cutty Sark in glass cases.

Rather funny as these are the eventual goals for my self and AJM77 respectively.

I can imagine what a picturesque countryside...

Any photo from the pub?

Edited by Stergios

Tried a few times but my phone reception refuses to let me upload any images. I will try when I am back home this weekend.

It was good to see the models though. Even though I knew how big the Victory was from quoted measurements from CMB and Caldercraft, it is interesting seeing the actual size in real life.

Puts my Snake in the shade! Gives added impetus to push on when I get back. Top masts, stays and more(!) ratlines.

I am going on the assumption that it is best to fully assemble the masts and stays before adding the spars and running rigging?

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

Safely back from sunny(!) Scotland. It's a long old drive from the Highlands back to Bristol, but helps when split into two days with a stop off in Manchester.

Anyway, here are the models we saw in the Eagle Barge Pub on the Caledonian Canal. Great little pub full of different pieces of furniture and decorations with their own stories.

post-465-0-42012900-1385925862_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-91441400-1385926169_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

After a busy week at work, inevitably having to catch from a week away, I have managed to get back to the build this weekend.

Finished carving out the three top masts. Nothing more technical than a 15cm steel ruler, a heavy duty scalpel, some sandpaper and a lot of patience!

Fitted the top masts in place and have started work on the shrouds. Fore Top Mast shrouds have been fitted and almost finished fixing the lanyards in place. Just when I thought I has finished doing ratlines, I sense some more in my immediate future.......

post-465-0-99201900-1385926929_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-71049800-1385926932_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-47760800-1400419089_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Now that I have finished the shrouds on the Fore Top Mast, it is time to get back to my favourite task..... Tying ratlines...!

Going to try and break the ratline chore up by doing a mast at a time, then finishing the stays and then moving onto the next. The fact that there are less knots to tie this time will also help. Only tied a few so far but the difference it makes in having to work 12 inches higher up is slightly annoying. I find myself stretching more o having to stand up whilst working.

On the positive side, each new addition to the ship is really bringing it to life, and the addition of the top masts has really created a feeling of near completion, even if I do have a load of spars and running rigging to do....!

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi,

Managed to get the ratlines completed on the fore top mast. I keep spotting duff ratlines on the lower masts, so got side tracked by cutting them off and retying new ones.

Now trying to decide whether to do the backstays on the fore mast or move over and do the main top mast shrouds and ratlines.

post-465-0-91238600-1386623227_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-17966000-1386623230_thumb.jpg

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

I've just realised it is almost exactly a year since I ordered my HMS Snake kit.

Just been looking back through my build images, and I am very pleased at how far I have come in that time. I still have a fair way to go with the rigging, and there are many techniques that I will now would like to apply to my next kit. Many thanks to those who have kept up with the build and given me encouragement, particularly Beef Wellington and Stergios who are my fellow 'Snakers'...!

I have ordered yet more 0.25mm black rigging thread from CMB. The ratline process is so wasteful of thread, and it hasnt helped that I have redone a fair few of the lines. That should arrive tomorrow, so I will probably get on with the shrouds on the main top mast, and the add the ratlines. Once I have completed all three masts, I will then go back and complete all the stays and back stays.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Hi Jim, feel bad raising a ratline point just as you're wrapping up with them but wanted to tap into your fresh experience.  Looking at lots of pictures of ratlines, they seem to be made with quite thin line, possibly smaller than the 0.25mm the instructions indicate.  I was mulling over using some thinner stuff (not quite sure what yet), from your experience do you think that would make doing these any less challenging?  I imagine the thicker line would make keeping the shrouds straight much more challenging - any recommendations.

Also, as I continue to mull over the rigging plans I noticed a mistake in the plans that will impact your before me.  The standing and running jeer blocks for the main yard (Sheet 5) are reversed with the L and M references reversed.  The inset picture correctly shows the double jeer block at the top but the mis-labeling of the blocks is consistent.

Cheers,

Jason

"Which it will be ready when it is ready!"

In the shipyard:

HMS Jason (c.1794: Artois Class 38 gun frigate)

Queen Anne Royal Barge (c.1700)

Finished:

HMS Snake (c.1797: Cruizer Class, ship rigged sloop)

Hi Jim, feel bad raising a ratline point just as you're wrapping up with them but wanted to tap into your fresh experience.  Looking at lots of pictures of ratlines, they seem to be made with quite thin line, possibly smaller than the 0.25mm the instructions indicate.  I was mulling over using some thinner stuff (not quite sure what yet), from your experience do you think that would make doing these any less challenging?  I imagine the thicker line would make keeping the shrouds straight much more challenging - any recommendations.

Also, as I continue to mull over the rigging plans I noticed a mistake in the plans that will impact your before me.  The standing and running jeer blocks for the main yard (Sheet 5) are reversed with the L and M references reversed.  The inset picture correctly shows the double jeer block at the top but the mis-labeling of the blocks is consistent.

Hi Jason,

I've still got two top masts to go, so not quite rid of the ratlines yet....!! I make the ratlines should be about 0.2mm at this scale, so yes a little smaller than the supplied thread. If you did go with thinner line I imagine it would make the tensioning between the shrouds easier as the 0.25mm does have a certain 'stiffness' to it. On the other hand the clove hitches might not bite as well if the ratline thread is that much thinner than the shroud thread, but this may have an advantage as I found the clove hitches had a tendancy to twist the shrouds. I'm committed to the 0.25mm but I may well experiment in the future with thinner line.

Thanks for the heads up. I think that there is another error in the rigging for the back stays, that indicates two single blocks to be used. This makes no sense however as the line has to be passed twice through one of the blocks. I will substitute for a double block.

Jim

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Happy Anniversary Jim. You are doing a great job.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Shrouds on the main and mizzen topmasts are now complete. Back to my favourite task.... ratlines....!

After that I can start work on the backstays for the top masts.

post-465-0-97450200-1400419143_thumb.jpg

post-465-0-12142800-1400419145_thumb.jpg

Edited by jim_smits

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Your futtocks look a little to low to me Jim, have you pitched them to the scale plan? You might find they are too low when fitting the yard.

Norman

Edited by normanh

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

Looking nice Jim......

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

Norman,

The Fore and Main mast futtock staves are 1cm too low compared to the plans, as I miscounted the ratlines earlier in the build. I've dry-fitted the yards already and the doesn't seem to be a problem.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo

Be careful the blocks on the lower side of the yard dont foul. I had the same problems on the jeers, also I dont think they included sufficient 5 mm single blocks as I had to get a good few more but dont remember loosing that many to the rug monster.

Norman

Norman

Current build Trumpeter Arizona 1:200 with White Ensign PE and a Nautilus Wooden Deck.

Built Caldercraft Convulsion, HM Brig Badger and HMS Snake.

Awaiting - Zvelda HMS Dreadnought planning to get the Pontos Deck and PE Upgrades, Panart 1:23 Gun deck model and couple of the cannon kits Manatu - French siege mortar, and American coastal cannon.

It is with great sadness I have to announce the end of my build for the foreseeable future.

My Snake has been impacted by a large and heavy falling object. This being one of the boxed counterweights to my telescopes. I presume it was knocked over by one my cats in a fight with one of the local cats that have been trespassing into my house of late.

Got home and found devastation. Damage includes and it not limited to:

Keel has been torn off.

Stem has ripped in half.

Main top mast has snapped.

Main platform struts cracked.

Crosstrees and trestletree assemblies on fore and main masts have all but vaporised.

Two channels ripped out of the hull.

Good few chains mangled beyond repair.

Few carronades knocked loose.

Couple of dozen copper plates scattered about.

This will take me months to put right and I don't have the heart to even attempt it right now. I am going to box up the spare parts, plans and the hull and lower masts as they stand and move on. Maybe one day I will come back to this build and finish it.

As to now. A full reorganisation of the workspace, ie no danger of falling objects (hopefully). Do some testing of some techniques of spare timbers. Hopefully will have a Ballahoo arriving at Christmas. That should be a fun little project to get my head back in order before attempting a big build again. Probably HMS Diana.

Anyway, for the moment I am signing off. Back in the New Year.

Jim
-----
Current builds:

HMS Snake
HMS Hood
Mechanical Solar System

Completed builds:

HMS Ballahoo