Getting 'steps' while planking the bow

Go to solution Solved by allanyed,

• Solution

Jamie??

You are trying to edge set the planks which does not work.   You have to either spile them or soak and pre-bend the plank around a form then heat it as shown in the tutorials here at MSW.   You can try both methods to see which works best for you, but keep in mind you may have occasions where one works easily and the other does not, depending on the severity of the bend, the type of wood, etc.    If you are stuck with strip wood from the kit,  you will be relegated to moisture and heat to side bend around a form before putting on the hull as spiling requires wider stock so you can cut the plank to the proper curve.   I noticed you have not marked out the bulkheads with the width of the plank at each bulkhead so you can be sure your planks are properly tapered.   This will really help you get fair lines of planking.

Cheers

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Here are some planking videos that demonstrate the edge bending method that allows the planks to lie flat around the bow.

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

Thank you both. I've watched those now and will start again. I was bending the planks with a hull bending tool from model shipways, alas I was not giving the planks a lateral bend. I will start doing that now and restart from the beginning. I will also mark off the bulkhead. I had measured the length of each bulkhead, divided by 5mm and had used that result as a guide on how to trim the planks. Now I need to go order more planks 😕

thanks again, Jamie 

(PS how did you know my name was Jamie?)

My LN and Cheerful logs will give you an idea how to go about this, both are linked below in my signature. I used the method described in the videos Gregory provided

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Jamie,

There are no secrets on the web.   I was a CIA agent for years and researching is part of the craft........

(That is a big fat lie. it was the FBI,,, not!)      I was a salesman for most of my career and spent a LOT of time researching to find and learn about potential clients and their products before ever contacting them.  Research paid huge dividends just as research pays dividends (for me at least) in this hobby.  Some prefer to just jump in and sink or swim, but whatever works for you, go for it.  There are not that many so called "right ways" to do anything in our hobby.   The end result is what counts as well as having fun in the process. 

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU