Bits v Belaying pins

DaveBaxt

The above is in Regards to the HMB Endeavour and although I am a long way from the rigging, I have just put together the Bits and almost ready to attache them to the deck. I have noticed that the Bits at the base of the masts are not shaped at the top as they are on the cap rails and I wonder why this is the case. Is it necessary to have these shaped in order to secure the running rigging which is what I assume these are for? On my last and only build ,The Bounty all my running rigging that ended at the fife rails around the masts were terminated at belaying pins , However I did tie a few off around the bit ends which were all shaped. Also this running rigging passed through pullys or blocks at the base of the bits before going to the belaying pins. None of these pullys are fitted to the bitts of the Endeavour. 

I am assuming that the above is due to changes in design of rigging but do wonder if the design of the bits on the Endeavour would actually work or would these simple bits be of benefit if the rigging were secured with a half hitch or something similar and although secure, could be released quickly if needed? Hope this all makes sense Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour  

Have you looked at the modern (1947)  model at NMM?   Do a search in their collections section for the Earl of Pembroke.  Endeavour was originally the merchant collier Earl of Pembroke, built by Thomas Fishburn.  There are six views including the one below that may help you.    Note that there are no belaying pins on rails.  There may have been some pins rails tied to the shrouds.    

Allan

Endeavour.jpg.0ea35eb456764193f7426b17601c143d.jpg

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Cheers Allan thanks for sending me that link and looking at the photos it would appear that the ends are shaped  and I am now thinking of making my own as the ones supplied by the kit are a shade too short as well. Best regards Dave

Completed     St Canute Billings            Dec 2020

Completed    HMS Bounty Amati          May 2021 Finished

Currently building HM Bark Endeavour