HMS Sphinx - Vanguard Models

mtaylor

A quick review of this kit.  Photos of the materials are available at https://modelshipworld.com/topic/28130-hms-sphinx-1775-prototype-by-james-h-vanguard-models-164-finished/?tab=comments#comment-805880 as I didn't take any photos of unboxing.   As for specifics, feel free to see the link above.

It's been quite a while since I've done a kit, my last one was a bash of Constellation some years ago.  However, I needed a break and also to relearn some things and this kit fits the bill.   

The woods are wonderful, the lasering is crisp and clean, and instructions are beyond any expectations I might have had.

I'm slowly making progress on the Sphinx as I'm not the fastest builder.  Currently on the hull 2nd layer planking which is not my forte.   However, I will have to say that I'm loving this build.  The instructions are dead on and need to be followed without rushing.  The kit pieces are accurately cut and where the instructions say "sand the char", the parts still fit very well.  Care is needed especially with the thinner woods.  

I've not seen any pitfalls if the instructions are followed and care is taken in the building.

I certainly would not recommend this as a first time build.   It is a blast to put it together and I would recommend this model to someone with some experience in kits beyond the beginner level.  I'm finding this kit to be well worth the price and will give it a 5-Wow rating.  :o:o:o:o:o

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)