Bismarck by hof00 - FINISHED - Amati - 1/200 - Partworks

Hi All,

Something newish for me thanks to the inspiration of others on this site.

I started this build several years ago, 2008?

I got  the basic hull and some Superstructure almost compete and thought it was time to drag it out again....

Reasons for this is that I am tired of sitting on my Chuff for the last couple of months waiting for surgery on a torn  right Rotator Cuff and looking like I'll be languishing for a couple more month's to come.

The scale and size makes things a little easier to accomplish with my left hand. 🙂

The Partworks version is essentially an Amati offering in 140 magazine issues and it seemed too good an opportunity to re-start proceedings.

(I have the Trumpeter 1/200 version with MK1 Detail set and the Tamiya 1/350 version also.)

I began this afternoon by ensuring all subsequent issues and contents  were present and put aside the 1/400 Titanic for a future when I have both arms fully operational 🙂

So, don't know how far I can get but my best shot and it's better than casting around feeling "Disabled."

The Hull looks good for the time it's been in storage, some attention with filling, sanding and primer will help

The Superstructure components will be wrapped in PE

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!! 

(A very big "Thank you" to the Gentlemen currently building the Amati version, it's given me much needed inspiration!!)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

Small update:

Getting back to grips with the Beastie....

Hull:

• Defining the top Armored Belt just below the Deck, this was a little "Overfilled" at bow and stern with Knifing Putty. (The Fillets are Bow and Stern on this Belt  where the Portholes are located.)
  • Still defining this feature before Spray Putty/Primer.
  • Filling remaining defects in the Hull. (Small dents, etc.)
  • Found the Port and Starboard Prop Shaft locations and opened  these slightly.

Superstructure:

• Most of this was o.k. apart from one "Module" that I had to dismantle and re-assemble, accurately.
  • In the process of sanding these structures and studying instructions for the plethora of  PE.

Things I dislike about this partwork.... (I only purchased this as the Trumpeter version was not quite released at the time I started this version.)

• Jumping around with differing assembly stages. (Put this assembly aside until a later stage, etc.)
  • Printed Decks.
  • Crappy Main Gun Barrels.

I am sure that there will be other dislikes as the build progresses.

This kit is a step down from the Trumpeter version but should be presentable nevertheless.

Well, I invested far too much "Coin" in purchasing this so need to complete it.

I'll post some photos when in the next day or two.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi Chap,

I think they most certainly are!!  🙂

The ship and its' rather short operational history has been a fascination of mine for some time.

Not sure what I'll do with it once complete as I really want to build the Trumpeter version which looks at me every time when I open my ship room Wardrobe.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Good to se you back on your 'Bizzie'! I'm not sure if it would be classed as 'theraputic' though 😀

I have this kit built up to the 'planking the hull' stage, and like yours it has been in storage for a while. 

With all this renewed interest in this ship and re-launch from Amati only bodes well for these kits (just rankles that we payed all that when Amati version is less than half the price now).

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

RB

Thanks Chap.

The other two Amati Bismarck got me motivated to do something "Constructive."

So, begs the question really.... Are you intending to post a build log of your Biizzie? 🙂

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi HOF

Eventually i will. Got too many other builds on the go at the moment tho. Just bought the Half Hull Planking Project as that's an area in need of massive improvement from me 😔 Enjoying following others' builds to steal er i mean borrow their ideas and tips 😀 Following Ted99's new build too

Edited by RockinBudgie

12 minutes ago, RockinBudgie said:

Hi HOF

Eventually i will. Got too many other builds on the go at the moment tho. Just bought the Half Hull Planking Project as that's an area in need of massive improvement from me 😔 Enjoying following others' builds to steal er i mean borrow their ideas and tips 😀 Following Ted99's new build too

No Worries to look and borrow.

It's a good thing. 🙂

Yup. there's a couple that I have been looking at. (Ted99's inc.)

There's one also in this Forum from manufacturer "Agora," (Hachette re-branded?), if you had missed that one.

Cheers.... HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

On 10/24/2021 at 12:07 AM, hof00 said:

Hi All,

Something newish for me thanks to the inspiration of others on this site.

I started this build several years ago, 2008?

I got  the basic hull and some Superstructure almost compete and thought it was time to drag it out again....

Reasons for this is that I am tired of sitting on my Chuff for the last couple of months waiting for surgery on a torn  right Rotator Cuff and looking like I'll be languishing for a couple more month's to come.

The scale and size makes things a little easier to accomplish with my left hand. 🙂

The Partworks version is essentially an Amati offering in 140 magazine issues and it seemed too good an opportunity to re-start proceedings.

(I have the Trumpeter 1/200 version with MK1 Detail set and the Tamiya 1/350 version also.)

I began this afternoon by ensuring all subsequent issues and contents  were present and put aside the 1/400 Titanic for a future when I have both arms fully operational 🙂

So, don't know how far I can get but my best shot and it's better than casting around feeling "Disabled."

The Hull looks good for the time it's been in storage, some attention with filling, sanding and primer will help

The Superstructure components will be wrapped in PE

I'm looking forward to getting stuck in!! 

(A very big "Thank you" to the Gentlemen currently building the Amati version, it's given me much needed inspiration!!)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0290.jpg

DSC_0291.jpg

DSC_0292.jpg

DSC_0293.jpg

DSC_0294.jpg

That's a beauty, HOF!

I have the slightly smaller 1:250 version Yamato from DeAgostini I never started. The Akagi, too.

Edited by CDW

8 hours ago, CDW said:

That's a beauty, HOF!

I have the slightly smaller 1:250 version Yamato from DeAgostini I never started. The Akagi, too.

Thank you Sir!!

Been sanding the Hull and defining the "Citadel?" Armored Belt in preparation for Spray Putty/Primer.

Had some PE "Sea Chest" grilles, Starboard, that had to be removed prior to this.

(I have a new set of these for both sides of the ship.)

I guess it was a good thing that I had almost finished the Hull and a lot of the Superstructure.

(Also great to have all subsequent issues/components. 🙂)

I'll get some photos up later today.

Cheers....HOF

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Small update:

Continued review of Partwork PDF instruction material I found on-line. (Saves going through countless magazine issues. 🙂)

I have identified several "Installments" that I can complete, (almost), where I don't have to Jump around.... The Main and secondary Turrets can be assembled. Nice!

Have also identified a small section of Superstructure that needs "correcting," for want of a better word.

I'll post as few photos of the Hull to hopefully illustrate the definition of the Armored belt. (Citadel Armor?)

The plan this evening is to fix the Superstructure error and continue prepping the Hull in anticipation of spray filler/primer.

(The Left arm is doing the majority of the work with the right is pretty useless.... 🙂Perhaps it's just a case of the left hand not knowing what the right is doing. 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0295.jpg

DSC_0296.jpg

DSC_0297.jpg

DSC_0298.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Small update:

Sanded the Hull a bit more and decided before the Putty/Primer I'll need to have a think about it and ask myself is it ready for this or does more work need to be done?

I gave the Anchor Hawse holes a bit of shape internally from the Deck down to the Resin piece. (The Deck Hawse hole pieces are beveled around the edges.)

Decided to have a go at the Main Gun Turrets.

There are eight magazine issues for the four turrets, four for the ply structure and four for the PE. (The issue instructions are identical.)

(I have taken photos of the Frets, one Turret structure  in ply and one with PE fret added.)

So, the ply structures go together very nicely but when it comes to PE, I have a very steep learning curve....🙂

I got the PE on the first Turret after a few hours of planning/dry fitting.

I hope that the other Turrets won't be so difficult as I now know how the pieces line up....

The completed Turret photo shows a bit of filler in a few of the joins. (I'll use some very fine Wet and Dry and a fine Wire Brush to clean this up.)

There are Ventilators, Hatches, Ladders, etc. still to be added, these are on different frets in other issues....

(At least it's a bit of progress and something out of my comfort zone. (PE)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0299.jpg

DSC_0300.jpg

DSC_0301.jpg

DSC_0302.jpg

DSC_0303.jpg

DSC_0304.jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Working on the main Turrets for the past couple of days and believe that after I complete sanding polishing that the might just pass muster.

As I mentioned PE is very foreign to me but I think that I'm getting used to it.

Some errors but nothing that a bit of filler won't fix....

I am surprised that the Turrets were not a one piece plastic item, no challenge I guess. 🙂

Photos tomorrow.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Small update:

Main Turret "Basic" structure complete.

The photos show much room for improvement which I will perform in the coming days. allot of fine sanding to get rid of CA residue, Etc.

(I would have liked to have done this today but life gets in the way sometimes.)

The Filler on certain pieces of the Turrets are where "Dents' have occurred, the cause is, of course, myself.... I lost some Rivet detail in these areas but I don't think it will be noticeable in the grand scheme of things (I'd much rather have a "Flat" section that is supposed to be flat rather than a gentle "concave" depression. 🙂

Another issue with the PE cladding is that when the sides are assembled, they stood about 0.75 mm proud of the Turret Roof. The only way that I could see to fix this, file the Top-Sides down to Roof level.

I thought that I did o.k. (Being a PE Luddite.), and think they will be o.k. in the end. (I can be pretty "Fussy" when it comes to this stuff. 🙂)

The last photo are the six secondary Turret ply components.

There are only 4 pieces of PE for each, two for cladding and two for the Barrel openings.

Cheers....HOF.

DSC_0305.jpg

DSC_0307.jpg

DSC_0308.jpg

DSC_0306.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Spent the majority of the weekend working on the secondary Turrets, there are six of these, two differ slightly.

Sheathed the fist four, they came out better than I was hoping for. (I must be learning or something....)

I have two left for tomorrow morning.

(Apologies also for no pictures of the Hull build but there are two other builds going at this time also.) Mine followed the same build sequence.) 

Placed Main Turrets on the Deck to see what it will look like one day.... 🙂

Anyway, that's me for the mo.

Cheers....HOF.

Photos: 

DSC_0309.jpg

DSC_0310.jpg

DSC_0311.jpg

DSC_0312.jpg

DSC_0313.jpg

DSC_0314.jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Small update:

The final two 150 mm Turrets completed today, for some reason these were the most difficult to sheathe....

The PE Fret seemed really hard and it was super difficult to shape the Turret rears. (I was sorely tempted to anneal them.

After an inordinate time of pushing, Etc, I got there.... 🙂)

The Main and Secondary Turret construction got rid of another thirteen magazine issues. (A total of 61 issues done out of 140 but who's counting? 🙂)

On the to-do list tomorrow will be to "Finish,") all Turret structures thus far and start looking at the Superstructure side PE Frets, (Lots of them.), and associated components.... (I think the latter will prove challenging to say the least. (For this Chap anyway....)

The plan with these is to use acrylic PE adhesive, (Mig), to attach the tiny parts initially and a drop of CA to secure.

(Any advice for a PE newbie appreciated.)

Sound good?

Cheers....HOF. 

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Stated placing the tiny PE components on the first two PE Superstructure sides.

They turned out o.k. (I think....)

(I really don't know how 1/700 scale builders do their PE, my hat is off to you gentlemen!! At least I can pick mine up with my fingers, for the most part anyway.)

Rotator Cuff surgery tomorrow so am unsure if I'll have 1 or 1.5 operational arms at the end of proceedings.

I guess we'll see.... 🙂

Anyway, it'll give me time to contemplate and plan my next tasks with the Bismarck.

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Your work on the Bismarck is looking fantastic HOF. Sorry to hear about the surgery.

I know they don't like doing  Rotator Cuff surgery except as a last resort and recovery can take some time. Hopefully you will be back up and running soon.

My wife goes in for knee surgery next Friday, and she is in a complete panic! :(

Good luck, I'll be thinking of you.

Edited by lmagna

Lou

Build logs: Colonial sloop Providence 1/48th scale kit bashed from AL Independence

Currant builds:

Constructo Brigantine Sentinel (Union) (On hold)

Minicraft 1/350 Titanic (For the Admiral)

1/350 Heavy Cruiser USS Houston (Resin)

Currant research/scratchbuild:

Schooner USS Lanikai/Hermes

Non ship build log:

1/35th UH-1H Huey

Thanks Gentlemen, much appreciated!!

I am, at the very least, hoping that I'll be able do something post operation. 

( "Low-Impact" PE work comes to mind, there's plenty of it and I think I'm slowly getting used to it.... 🙂)

Cheers....HOF.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

I hope surgery and recovery go well...    Be careful as PE can be addictive

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hi All,

I guess that things "Under the knife" went as well as could be expected, unfortunately, I am forced to have some Bismarck "Down time," At least six weeks.... 😗

Nothing to be done I guess apart from a bit of study/research.

I still get to "Lurk" around here and watch the other Bismarck and other builds, a bonus!!

Thanks for likes and kind comments and I hope to be back soon with some "Constructive" stuff. 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

HOF..(Harry)

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Follow the doc's advice is the best thing and not always the easiest.  I hope you have a full recovery by the time the doc says "go back to your ships".

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

I just came across your build log, Harry. This should be an interesting build and big to say the least! Hope you make a swift recovery from your surgery. I look forward to following your build. Good luck!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Thanks Chap,

As mentioned somewhere at the beginning of this log, I had been casting around for something to get myself motivated... 

The other Bismarck builds on this site, gave me the impetus that I needed  with restarting my own.

It's essentially, an Amati offering sliced up to fit into 140 magazine issues.

I started this around 2008 I think ,and, getting as far as the Hull mostly completed, I put it into storage.

At NZD $17.00 for each issue, it made sense  to get inspired once again...🙂

So, there you go, off with a "Hiss and a Roar" only to get the brakes slammed on....

Anyway, plenty of time to study/contemplate and plan the build going forward. 

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

So glad to know you made it through surgery okay, but sad to learn recovery will be a longer process.

I once had a Toyota Land Cruiser fall on top of me and it broke my shoulder. I was so sore after the third day it was unbelievable. Took quite a while to get past the soreness. Get plenty of rest and follow instructions. They know how to help you best get through the process without undue difficulty.

Like the fellas said, follow the doctor's orders for a successful recovery. I have a friend who felt he could recover by doing his own thing. Didn't work and he needed a second operation to repair his shoulder.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild