Bismarck by hof00 - FINISHED - Amati - 1/200 - Partworks

4 hours ago, Old Collingwood said:

Had a think about your hanger problem  -  could part of it be riding hight on the decking?  as  this happened to me on my  Warspite build  (and that was in 1/350 scale)   I had to trim a bit away to let part of the superstructure  sit flat on the deck.

OC.

Hi Chap,

Thanks for the advice, Unfortunately no.... 🙂  The Deck is absolutely flat.

The Superstructure is in contact with the Deck, but, the Port side of the Hanger is not. (As per the photos.)

The only thing that I can think of is that the connection between Hanger and Superstructure is out of plumb somehow....

To try and remove the Hanger part of this Superstructure would be courting certain disaster!!

Your advice is very much appreciated and also a trigger to get me thinking about this again.

Pretty sure I'm going to use Vallejo Acrylic Putty for the "Gap."

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

Amati/Partworks 1/200 Bismarck

A/L Sanson

On 5/21/2022 at 10:21 PM, hof00 said:

Hi All,

No update today but rather an issue that I discovered yesterday....

The problem is that I have a "Gap" between the Main Hanger and Deck, Port side. (Starboard is fine unless I place finger pressure on top of the Hanger, the whole thig rocks slightly and I get a real bad gap all around. ()Except for the Hager....)

I have been giving this allot of thought.....

I initially thought that this was a "Fit" issue ,When I initially constructed this, it was super tight.... But no, I paired down the mounting lugs, so, not that....

Inspected the Underside of this, but nothing looks out of place, so, My conclusion is that the Hanger wall is not quite square but square with the rest of the Superstructure.

I thought about removing the Hanger but this would be an absolute "Nightmare" with all the PE, Decking, Etc. attached.

My only other thought was to carefully fill the gap once it is comes time to fix it down.

The Gap is only about 1.0mm and not noticeable just viewing but it really annoys and it would be good to fix as best I can.

I don't want to "Rush" the fix either and thought that I'd put my issue to the Forum to see if anyone has some "Sage" advice.... 🙂

(I took some photos to show the problem.)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0666.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0668.jpg

My approach for this (which I recognize is too late for you) was to glue all the brass cladding on the wood superstructure.  I did the little brass and plastic detail pieces last).  After a little time for curing, I put a sheet of #80 grit sandpaper over the hull deck in the area where the superstructure was to fit and moved the superstructure back and forth over the sandpaper until it conformed to the deck at all sides.  The brass cladding got sanded down just like the ply.  Lot of time for this.  When all was done, I had a gapless fit of the superstructure to the deck.  Will this still be OK?  Don't know as I haven't been looking at this.  Gluing all the little brass and plastic details may have caused some warping and I'll find out about this later.  Obviously too late for you, but some other builder may like to know about a potential problem here.

Harry, rather than cluttering Rod's build, I'm responding to your question about the decals here.  I don't have the applicable sheet, anymore, but it was the set for the Bismarck 1:200.  There are a few other decals on the sheet for flags and the aircraft, as well.  I needed both kinds of decal setting solutions that Micro Mark provides:  the "micro set" for preapplication to the deck.  When that wasn't enough, I used their stronger "micro sol" for application to the decal itself to get halfway decent adhesion over the decking on the bow.

3 hours ago, ted99 said:

Harry, rather than cluttering Rod's build, I'm responding to your question about the decals here.  I don't have the applicable sheet, anymore, but it was the set for the Bismarck 1:200.  There are a few other decals on the sheet for flags and the aircraft, as well.  I needed both kinds of decal setting solutions that Micro Mark provides:  the "micro set" for preapplication to the deck.  When that wasn't enough, I used their stronger "micro sol" for application to the decal itself to get halfway decent adhesion over the decking on the bow.

Thanks Ted,

Great advice!!

I have the Tamiya "Mark Fit" ready to go!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

My attention has turned to the Main Deck over the past few days as the Partworks" issues are soon going to be dealing with Deck fixtures in the very near future and it was about time to make a start on this also.

My partner was coerced into cutting the Paper Template and marking out the locations of the three hundred Stanchions, Template attached with Paper Gum and St6anchion locations marked. (She did an awesome job!! 🙂)

Next up was placing and positioning of the various Decking pieces. (Not a task I was looking forward to.)

Anyway, a bit of "Jiggling here and there followed by masking tape to hold in position while 3.0 and 6.0mm holes were drilled for Turret Barbettes.

At this stage, I added more 3.0mm holes and Dowel that will be removed after the Decking is attached. (Not in the instructions but I felt a bit more confidence for a good Key enabling a more accurate fitting.)

Today, I have been concentrating on that very fitting, there needs to be a 1.0 - 1.5mm gap around the Deck perimeter.

I performed an initial sanding today and will hopefully get this complete tomorrow.

(The Decking that I was provided with was almost flush with the Hull sides, so, I'm unsure of the impact when it comes to placement of Fairleads, Cleats, Etc. I guess I'll find out....🙂)

Anyway, it was time to walk away today, a fresh start tomorrow.

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0697.jpg

DSC_0698.jpg

DSC_0699.jpg

DSC_0700.jpg

DSC_0701.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Harry,

Nice work on the deck. It looks like the gap is just about right.

Some of the stanchions are braced like an upside-down V (a lambda?) with the upright into the hull and the brace a bit higher glued flush on the deck. Cut one out and try it just so you know what to expect. There are plenty of spare stanchions.

Don't trust the specified hole dimensions for the turret mounts. Attach dowels to the turrets and then drill the holes undersized so that they fit tight but can still swivel.

47 minutes ago, rvchima said:

Harry,

Nice work on the deck. It looks like the gap is just about right.

Some of the stanchions are braced like an upside-down V (a lambda?) with the upright into the hull and the brace a bit higher glued flush on the deck. Cut one out and try it just so you know what to expect. There are plenty of spare stanchions.

Don't trust the specified hole dimensions for the turret mounts. Attach dowels to the turrets and then drill the holes undersized so that they fit tight but can still swivel.

Thanks Rod,

The Decking was a bit of a "Mare" so to speak.

I had to carefully sand both sides of each section before I could even get a 1.0mm gap....

(The "Gap" was a bit of a trade-off in achieving an all round margin, I just did not want to take off too much Deck detail. As it was, I had to remove the Margin Plank detail, not happy about this, but, never mind, have to move on.)

I don't really fancy my chances drilling the Stanchion holes with very little material on the outside of the Drill Bit.

(The Jury is still out one....)

I have also been looking at aftermarket 1/200 "Chain Link" Rail PE that I do not have to drill holes for and have found some products that might just fit the bill.

Anyway, the Decking is down so that's a reasonably big task out of the way!!  🙂

Thank you also regarding the dowelling for Turrets!!

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

After much "Trolling" around on the Net, I found some 1/200 Chain Link Railing....

Chain railing Aber 1-200-02 (super-hobby.com)

I ordered four of these, hopefully, more than enough to do the entire perimeter of the Deck.

These are on Back-Order and I am hooping to receive by mid July.

I ordered from "Super-bobby" (Having never ordered from the EU before, I was a little nervous but hopefully they'll be reputable.

So, to stop procrastinating, I'll climb back into it today.

Tasks that I will concentrate on:

• Port and Starboard Hanger completion
  • Deck Reels
  • Locating remaining detail pieces for the Funnel

I'll post some photos soonish.

Cheers....HOF.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

16 hours ago, hof00 said:

After much "Trolling" around on the Net, I found some 1/200 Chain Link Railing....

Chain railing Aber 1-200-02 (super-hobby.com)

I ordered four of these, hopefully, more than enough to do the entire perimeter of the Deck.

Very interesting! I've never seen anything like this. Some of the products still have you drilling holes though.

While you're waiting for the postman, try rigging 4 or 5 of the included stanchions on a scrap of wood. I think that you will find that it's easier than you expect. Spray the entire lot of PE stanchions with primer and one coat of gray first. Use a pin to mark the holes and drill with a tiny drill bit in a Dremel at low speed. The holes don't have to be very deep, so they won't poke through. Maybe 1 stanchion in 20 had to be cleaned out with a bit in a pin vise. I did that after they were installed and just backed up the stanchion with a scrap of wood.

I'm acquainted with Super-Hobby but have never ordered from them. They carry card models and usually have a good number of photos of the actual kits, something that most retailers don't usually do. I hope you have a positive experience with them.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

4 hours ago, rvchima said:

Very interesting! I've never seen anything like this. Some of the products still have you drilling holes though.

While you're waiting for the postman, try rigging 4 or 5 of the included stanchions on a scrap of wood. I think that you will find that it's easier than you expect. Spray the entire lot of PE stanchions with primer and one coat of gray first. Use a pin to mark the holes and drill with a tiny drill bit in a Dremel at low speed. The holes don't have to be very deep, so they won't poke through. Maybe 1 stanchion in 20 had to be cleaned out with a bit in a pin vise. I did that after they were installed and just backed up the stanchion with a scrap of wood.

4 hours ago, ccoyle said:

I'm acquainted with Super-Hobby but have never ordered from them. They carry card models and usually have a good number of photos of the actual kits, something that most retailers don't usually do. I hope you have a positive experience with them.

Thanks Rod and Chris,

Rod, thank you for your advice regarding the kit Stanchions, however, I have now spent the "Coin."

It's going to be a little while before I'm ready for the Railing/Stanchions.... 🙂

I am aware that I may need to drill the holes. (I thought I'll "Walk" some dividers down the Deck perimeter first, 8.0mm spacing, this may not be required, I guess time will tell.

Chris, Thank you for allaying my concerns, (Slightly), regarding Super Hobby.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

• Port and Starboard Hangers complete (One piece of PE to be fitted, Port side)
  • Funnel more or less complete (There's a bit more stuff to be added just prior to installation)

The Funnel top needs a bit of a "Touch-Up." Used Alclad Polished Aluminum for top, Exhaust Pipes, etc. (It was easier to carefully remove the Funnel top for painting.

While reviewing the instructions for the umpteenth time, I came across the step for mounting the 10.5cm AA gun bases.

There were a couple of photos instructing to place bases "As per photos," no measurements given.

Rod, (rvchima), very kindly sent me excerpts from his build instructions, with measurements!! 🙂

I marked out and drilled locating holes for the gun bases on the Superstructure Decks. (One problem, my bases do not have locating "Dimples, just flat....

I carefully drilled a 1.0mm hole as close to the center of these as I could, inserted and CA'd small lengths of 1.0mm Brass wire.

Trial fitted Bases and AA guns, all good!! 🙂 (Thanks Rod!!)

(With the modified bases, I think that I could probably "Articulate" the Guns. I'll fit the Guns and bases further down the track.

There are only about 10 "Installments" of the Part-Work thingy left to complete with a couple of "Organizers" full of completed sub-assemblies.

At lease the Main Decking is down so that I can place bits on this as necessary.

I now need to just take my time also to ensure that my work does not compromise any other component attachment.

(It's been a bit of a mission jumping around this build the "Part-Work" way.

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0704.jpg

DSC_0703.jpg

DSC_0702.jpg

DSC_0705.jpg

DSC_0707.jpg

DSC_0713.jpg

DSC_0712.jpg

DSC_0711.jpg

DSC_0710.jpg

DSC_0709.jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

1 hour ago, rvchima said:

Very nice! I like the aluminum paint on the funnel exhausts. I am almost as happy to see this coming together as you are.

Thanks Rod,

Mounted the Rear Superstructure and filled the gap on the Port Rear side of the Hanger.

Touched up the Grey and looks o.k. except that the Grey doesn't match.... It's a slightly lighter shade.... (Isn't' there a film about this? 🙂)

I did my best to "Tone it in with Satin Acrylic, it's not noticeable unless you look for it, I know it's there and it annoys me but I'm going to leave well alone.

Also Rod, thanks for the tip regarding the Vallejo Putty, it's pretty nice to use.

The Sub-Assemblies continue....

Hawse Reels done although I might take a couple of "Windings" off two or three of these.

Started the Anchor Windlass's and larger Bollards. (I'm painting as I go....)

Small AA Guns are soon to be assembled also.

Very soon, (I hope), some detail on the Main Deck.

The "Part-Work" thingy continues to frustrate but I keep reminding myself to "Eat the Elephant one bite at a time. 🙂"

I'll get some photos up in the next few days.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry..

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

On 6/15/2022 at 6:39 PM, ccoyle said:

I would rather worry about Aber itself than supper hobby.

The 1/700 railings I bought was a joke, they could bent even with the touch of a brush.

I expect in larger scales to be better. Got universal grills and other PE parts for larger scale, seemed ok.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

It's been a few weeks since I updated this log, so, a small update:

I have not been idle regarding this build.

The "Pat-Work" thingy instructions have some logic to them but tend to "Bounce" backwards and forwards a bit.

I think that the production version of the Amati Bismarck may have a more logical and comprehensive build strategy, I find myself constantly reviewing instructions going forward to ensure that I am not going to "Paint myself into  a corner, a case in point looks like there are some components added to the Admirals Bridge, after the structure is affixed.... I my mind, I need to place these components before mounting the structure, otherwise it will be next to impossible to place components.

Anyway, the name of the game for me at the mo is "Sub-Assemblies" and lots of them.... 🙂.

I feel that these are now almost complete and will soon be time to affix these, Paravanes and Breakwater assemblies are the next for this Chap.

It's been a relief to finally be able to mount some stuff to the Main Deck.

There are now 5 installments, (Out of 140), of the build to complete, however, they are quite "Busy" and look as though they will take the most time to complete.

I'll try and get a little more regular with the updates

(The first two photos is the Port side Hanger that used to have a nasty gap between Hanger and Deck.... The third is the repair....)

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0666.jpg

DSC_0667.jpg

DSC_0714.jpg

DSC_0715.jpg

DSC_0716.jpg

DSC_0718.jpg

DSC_0719.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Looking very good sir! You will never notice the "gap" after everything else is attached.

Did you get your PE railings yet? How do they look?

It is hard for me to imagine that there are only four part-works issues left to go, but I suppose that you have a great many parts just ready to attach.

Edited by rvchima
additional question

6 hours ago, rvchima said:

Looking very good sir! You will never notice the "gap" after everything else is attached.

Did you get your PE railings yet? How do they look?

It is hard for me to imagine that there are only four part-works issues left to go, but I suppose that you have a great many parts just ready to attach.

Thanks Rod,

Yup four "Installments left to go, five if you count the one I'm 1/2 way through!!

The instructions therein are large, (Quantity), and complex

You cannot really notice the "Gap" now, the camera picks up allot of detail that you would not really like to see.

The Rails have not yet arrived, I guess they are somewhere between Poland and New Zealand, I'll post a photo when they turn up.

The only other thing of note:

I had a go using the Mono-Filament Rigging material, I really did not like it at all so found some Black, Lycra 110 Denier Rigging material on-line by "Infini."

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All,

Small update:

Yet more Sub-Assemblies....

Forward Wave Breaker - Constructed and affixed, lots of tiny PE Struts, not perfect but o.k. I think.

Deck Cranes - Yet to be Rigged.

Paravanes.

Anti Aircraft Range Finders.

There are many, many other Sub-Assemblies that I have not photographed recently.

(Happy to photograph if required.)

I'll add some more detail to the Deck and think about some tiny 20.0mm AA Guns tomorrow.

Cheers....HOF.

Photos:

DSC_0720.jpg

DSC_0721.jpg

DSC_0722.jpg

DSC_0723.jpg

DSC_0724.jpg

DSC_0726.jpg

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

6 hours ago, ted99 said:

I really like the work you did on the boat cradles.  I did mine before I worked out using thin CA and a looper, so they are crude in comparison.

Hi Ted,

Thanks for that.

I don't notice any issues with your Bismarck from where I'm sitting!! 🙂

The thing is that this model is the first that I have ever had with a serious amount of PE, it has, and continues to be a learning.... 

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

On 7/18/2022 at 7:59 AM, hof00 said:

Forward Wave Breaker - Constructed and affixed, lots of tiny PE Struts,

Those tiny struts are really difficult. You have to attach the top end so that you can paint the entire assembly, but it's hard to get the angle set. Yours look perfect.

9 hours ago, rvchima said:

Those tiny struts are really difficult. You have to attach the top end so that you can paint the entire assembly, but it's hard to get the angle set. Yours look perfect.

Thanks Rod,

I figured that I'd have to paint the entire assembly before fixing it to the Deck.

I stuck the Breakwater pats on to a strip of wood with a bit of Double Sided tape, ensuring the PE bits would grab a little on the tape, positioned the PE bits and stuck them to the plastic with thin CA.

I let the CA harden, removed the Breakwater pieces and sprayed.

There was a madness to the method.

Not perfect but o.k.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Hi All, 

Small update:

• Anton and Dora Barbettes affixed
  • Paravanes fitted
  • Life Rings fitted
  • Sub-Caliber Barrels affixed
  • AA Rangefinder thingy's affixed
  • Deck Fairleads attached
  • Deck Hatches, various, fitted
  • Painting various sub-assemblies
  • Completed the ten 20mm AA guns.

My Hangars weren't fitting at the base of the Funnel, they were a tad too long....

Out with the Pen Sander and removed some MDF where the Hanger meets the superstructure, very carefully....🙂

Much improved after this operation.

Tomorrow I'll probably get the Main Deck Bollards done, (Painted anyway), and get the Anchors sorted.

Cheers....HOF.

(You probably can't see too much difference in the photos below from the previous ones but anyway....)

Photos:

DSC_0727.jpg

DSC_0728.jpg

DSC_0729.jpg

DSC_0730.jpg

DSC_0731.jpg

DSC_0732.jpg

Edited by hof00

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

2 hours ago, CDW said:

Looks great Harry! 

Thank you!!

After all the sub-assemblies that have been created, the "Beastie" should come together  in "Reasonably" short order.

However, I am taking my time with the last 3.5 Part work "Issues" and I am sure that there will be things that I will need to consider carefully before "Diving In.... 🙂"

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

8 hours ago, SteveLarsen said:

Enjoying the build!  The model is huge!

Thanks Steve,

I'm pleased that you are enjoying the build log. 🙂

Yup, it's reasonably large.... 1.5 meters? (Something like that....)

Just as a "Heads-up," rvchima, (Rod) ,has recently completed his awesome build and ted99, (Ted), is getting close to completion, (I think), of his Bismarck.  Anyway, just in case you hadn't seen these. 🙂

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson

Looking splendid  now  - all that fine detail work  you are doing is really paying off.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Old Collingwood said:

Looking splendid  now  - all that fine detail work  you are doing is really paying off.

OC.

Thank you kindly Sir!!

Not very much happening today unfortunatley apart from getting my favorite Air Brush operational again with its new needle and painting the various sizes of "Bitts" and other stuff that's next up for the Deck.

That's o.k. though, I need a slow day to have a think about the "Next up" stuff.

Cheers and Regards,

Harry.

Completed Builds:

A/L Bluenose II

A/L Mare Nostrum

Sergal/Mantua Cutty Sark

A/L Pen Duick

A/L Fulgaro

A/L Sanson