Veritas Miniature Worktop from Lee Valley Tools

Go to solution Solved by Jack12477,

I too received the Christmas Catalogue in the mail the other day, made for an enjoyable read, The "magpie" in me "wanted" the whole lot of those miniature tools. They do look wonderful and are really well made, I do use one of the older miniature wooden planes that they had a while back. O am with Bob on this one regarding the versatility and use of the older larger stable cast iron tools and tops. I recently cut a load of 1mm x 4 mm yellow cedar planks for Walrus Guy using my old 10 inch unisaw with a narrow kerf  200 tooth 8 inch blade and My old second hand 20 inch band saw with a 1/2 inch blade. That said I realize that I am very lucky to have those tools, and I have had the table saw for 45 years and the band saw for 20 years. My old workbench I have had for 45 years as well. In My view the low angle block planes by Veritas are the best value for money that you can buy for much of the work we do. with regards preparing wood to thickness for our models. Also a good sharpening system for keeping them razor sharp.

I am not trying to persuade anyone from purchasing some beautiful Model tools, But do think about the reality of what they are intended for.

And if anyone is thinking of sending me a Christmas present I would like the tiny chisels.

cheers Michael 

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

I have lots of their miniature tools  and they are all great. I mounted the miniature vice on my existing work bench. I did not see the dogs. Ill have to check them out to see if they will work with the holes i already drilled. The miniature marking gauges are also back ordered to November. I Recommend them unconditionally .

kevin

8E692395-548F-4EE2-87C8-4E985907144C.jpeg

A1E63145-6115-481F-A4DE-7C5707263280.jpeg

08AEE553-3DC9-4652-9E10-0B641D8F16AF.jpeg

E3CE40F4-C3CA-4031-ADE2-7255BB86502A.jpeg

DC8EDF8A-D908-4A63-9F39-D9ECF5A709AF.jpeg

80A7350D-19C8-493E-B94F-1A520640D141.jpeg

Kevin that bench is Very Nice, the bench vice fits well.

Michael

Current builds  Bristol Pilot Cutter 1:8;      Skipjack 19 foot Launch 1:8;       Herreshoff Buzzards Bay 14 1:8

Other projects  Pilot Cutter 1:500 ;   Maria, 1:2  Now just a memory    

Future model Gill Smith Catboat Pauline 1:8

Finished projects  A Bassett Lowke steamship Albertic 1:100  

Anything you can imagine is possible, when you put your mind to it.

On 10/27/2021 at 2:40 AM, Landlubber Mike said:

That swivel feature is really nice.  This is what I have, which has served me pretty well over the years.  I don't know if I could plane a small piece of wood held in the jaws, but maybe I could.

image.thumb.png.4cbfdca6172e69079b306348aaf6ca15.png

Hi Mate

I too use Panavise but prefer this vice

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PANAVISE-8103-Standard-Head-Silver/dp/B0002BC1XQ/ref=mp_s_a_1_12?adgrpid=55927007751&dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuoL54rvt8wIVFeDtCh0EswsCEAAYASAAEgJZ-_D_BwE&hvadid=259082504851&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=1006500&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=7524682549615227343&hvtargid=kwd-296013458331&hydadcr=7433_1749334&keywords=panavise&qid=1635436527&sr=8-12

They make all different vice jaws too. I use the brass jaws for wood and it would just fit into your existing base. 

2 hours ago, No Idea said:

Thanks - I was just looking at this the other day and was considering this one.  Good to know you like it, thanks!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Well the "in stock" portion of my order arrived last night around dinner time.  When the remainder of the order arrives, I will post photos. 

My table arrived yesterday with some of the accessories.  Rest is to ship next few weeks.  The table is nice quality and should come in handy.

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

• Solution

My table and accessories have arrived.  I was asked in PMs from a couple of members to do a review once I received the order from Lee Valley. Haven't had much time to really test it out but my first impressions follow:

The table is impressive and well made.  It's laminated Birch plywood, 12 plys, 5/8 inch thick, 4 rubber feet measuring 5/8 inch high are attache d with screws to the underside, overall table is 8 inches wide by 11 inch long, holes are 7/16 inch diameter spaced 1-1/2 inch apart in each x-y direction, rows indent approximately 1 inch from each edge. I checked the mini vice and there is not enough clearance under the table to install it.  You would have to remove the rubber feet and make new legs.

Footnote: After re-reading the instructions for the mini vice it appears to require a bench top thickness of 1-1/4 inches. This table top is only 5/8 inches thick, so some modifications would be needed.

The accessories are tiny but well made as would be expected of Lee Valley. I would recommend storing them is some type of parts drawer or box so they don't get lost on the workbench.

The packages.

IMG_9035.JPG.f6f236a9cd8891eaf2fb9c1087387bc3.JPG

Unpacked

IMG_9043.JPG.ccd7c3ee2784e016a574a85d2bdb24ef.JPGIMG_9044.JPG.b0fe9eaa93f3b943526a2cb7f5277cf0.JPG

Some test setups

IMG_9045.JPG.292e65f924e0e1582102666f2a8098e7.JPG

Using the miniature block plane

IMG_9046.JPG.81155ac2ed83bea6177a7dda16d9aab4.JPG

Using the miniature Plow Plane

IMG_9047.JPG.924bb3c74276af780e1184b85bb0e322.JPG

Level up Jack Plane

IMG_9051.JPG.9525fee513bdb9c1c5f0dff71b6a44cb.JPG

Using my ceramic sharpening stone and the miniature honing guide to sharpen one of the miniature chisels

IMG_9049.JPG.3a9484bb62739055c2f19870c939622d.JPGIMG_9050.JPG.d4726dc05cc435cb0f89b2f2edc6cf40.JPG

I didn't do a lot of setup work or try to do any serious work, just some quick tests with a couple of planes.    It sat pretty flat on my work bench and didn't move around when I was planing but if I was doing something more strenuous it might need clamping to the bench to keep it from sliding around.  The rubber feet could be removed and longer legs attached to give it more height of the work bench/table.

All in all I think it is a worthwhile investment, especially for those with a small workshop and workbench.  I didn't order the hold down accessory because I didn't think I would need it but I may reconsider that decision.  As I use it more I will post updates and/or suggestions.

Edited by Jack12477
Add footnote

Thanks for the review.  I think I pretty much ordered the same items minus the block plane which I already had.  I'm still waiting on a few things.

I'm glad they came out with the miniature honing guide for the mini chisels.  I have had them for a few years but couldn't find a solution that worked.  

Enjoy the tools!

Mike

I love Veritas tools and have tried their honing guide. Like all Veritas products it is well made, but with very narrow chisels I find it can be difficult to get the blade to sit absolutely square, and with a single roller it can be difficult to avoid the blade rocking as you move it up and down the sharpening surface.

The best guide I've found for these blades is the No.1 Honing Guide from Richard Kell. Richard is a one-man-band based in Northumberland, and although his products were at one time available through US retailers I believe that is no longer the case. However I know several people on the forum have ordered direct from Richard and now swear by the guide. See Glenn Barlow's current Flirt build for example. Here it is on my sharpening station (I couldn't resist including my collection of Veritas tools:rolleyes: !):

IMG_2663.thumb.JPG.4abbfff9a074092c265dadbba8e4f74c.JPG

The key feature is that the blade is clamped between two rollers and so is held dead square. I've got the 1/8" chisel in it, but it will take up to 1". Because there are two rollers it doesn't rock, and because you mount a blade under the two steel guide rods rather than over them, it can handle very short blades which otherwise wouldn't project far enough from the guide to get the correct honing angle. If you look on Richard's own site you will find more details. 

Edited by DelF

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

I have Richard's honing guide. Bought it several years ago thru Garrett Wade catalog. Don't know know if they still carry it. I have used it on some of my other chisels. Thanks for the link. 

The table looks like it does the job Jack! 

Very nice !!

Now to get the same set up,  is persuading the Admiralty to release funding😊 🙄

Current builds;

Henry Ramey Upcher 1:25

Providence whaleboat- 1:25     HMS Winchelsea 1764 1:48 

Completed:

HM Cutter Sherbourne- 1:64- finished    Triton cross section scratch- 1:60 - finished 

Non ship:  SBD-3 Dauntless 1:48 Hasegawa -FINISHED

Jack, since you have both honing guides, would you say it’s worth getting the Kell guide if you have the Veritas one?

Mike

I will give you a qualified YES but defer to Derek @DelF . When I bought the Kell guide it was for my full size chisels and it worked well with them. But for the Veritas mini chisels I had a lot of trouble getting the bevel angle correct, so I bought the Veritas mini guide for them since it came with a bevel setting jig. After reading Derek's post above I will revisit using the Kell guide, especially since I can use the Veritas angle jig to help set the angle.

I did find the Kell guide easy to use.

I should also add that I strop my knives and chisels before, during,  and after use, so I don't need to  sharpen them with a stone that often. Stropping keeps them pretty sharp. There are a number of videos on YouTube on stropping. Master woodcarver Harley Refsal has a pretty good one on stropping a woodcarving knife but the technique applies to any blade. 

Edited by Jack12477

The Kell guide comes with a table showing how far a blade's cutting edge should project beyond the steel support rods to achieve various honing angles. For example, 0.5" for 30 degrees. I find this measurement easy to make if I hold a 6 inch steel rule against the chisel in the guide.

Cheers, Derek

Thanks Jack and Derek.  Sorry to keep asking questions on the honing guides, but what do you get with the Kell guide that you don't get with the Veritas guide?  I'm still not exactly sure of the difference, but likely because I haven't used honing guides very much.  For what it's worth, I'm only looking for something for smaller/miniature chisels as I don't expect to get into using larger ones (famous last words).

I do want to get back to my wooden ship builds now that I have these cool toys.

Edited by Landlubber Mike

Mike

Hi Mike

This is purely my personal experience, but because the Veritas guide has a single roller I found it difficult to keep the blade level as I moved it up and down the sharpening surface, particularly with a very narrow tool like the 1/8" chisel I showed in my earlier picture. I found it hard to stop it wobbling from side to side. Other Veritas users have told me they've had the same difficulty, especially with very narrow tools. The Kell guide avoids this by having two wheels which hold the chisel rock steady. The two wheels also clamp the tool between them, ensuring it is held absolutely square.  

As I said before, Veritas make great tools and it may be lack of skill on my part that makes it hard for me to get good results with their honing guide - after all, some people hone freehand with great results, but I'm not one of them! I just find the Kell guide takes the skill element out of it. I should also add that it is a beautifully engineered tool, a real gem to own and use. Richard (a one-man-band with whom I have no commercial or other relationship) is a toolmaker by trade and it shows in his products. 

Hope this helps

Derek

PS  a couple of people sent personal messages asking what sharpening stones I use. I gave up stones some time ago in favour of wet-and-dry paper stuck to a sheet of plate glass. That way I can use (and easily replace) a wide range of grits to suit whatever sharpening or honing I need to do.

Cheers, Derek

30 minutes ago, DelF said:

The Kell guide avoids this by having two wheels which hold the chisel rock steady

Thanks for the details… I’m now reconsidering ordering the veritas 🤔

I just received a Kell honing guide ordered directly from Richard Kell. I haven't used it yet but it is a beautifully made tool and he is a wonderful man to do business with. He was very helpful and prompt in answering my questions.

46 minutes ago, DelF said:

PS  a couple of people sent personal messages asking what sharpening stones I use. I gave up stones some time ago in favour of wet-and-dry paper stuck to a sheet of plate glass. That way I can use (and easily replace) a wide range of grits to suit whatever sharpening or honing I need to do.

I think you have posted this before elsewhere but, since we are on the subject in this thread, can you explain your sharpening process using the various grits of sandpaper again for us, Derek? Thanks!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Mike @Landlubber Mike here's a couple of videos on stropping which explain it better than I can. You can buy a ready made strop and/or the leather to make your own from Woodcraft.  I got mine in their Newcastle DE store, but I notice there are 3 in your general area.  

The stropping myth and how to sharpen tools with leather

How to make a strop by Paul Sellars

Edited by Jack12477

2 hours ago, BobG said:

I think you have posted this before elsewhere but, since we are on the subject in this thread, can you explain your sharpening process using the various grits of sandpaper again for us, Derek?

Bob

Here's a copy of part of a post I did on this in Glenn Barlow's Cheerful log. The best advice I can give is to watch Paul Sellers' videos which I've linked in the following text:

I've abandoned traditional sharpening stones in favour of sandpaper. Stones inevitably wear and need to be reground or replaced. So does sandpaper, but it is considerably cheaper and, when glued to 1/4" plate glass it stays dead flat. Plus, it is easier (and cheaper) to have a wide range of grits to suit your needs.

Another point - and I apologise if this is teaching granny to suck eggs - but when you say you haven't sharpened your chisels yet it occurred to me that you might not realise that chisel and plane blades bought straight from the manufacturer are not best suited for immediate use. They need a degree of preparation, sometimes called initialisation - even Veritas tools! This takes a bit of work on the sharpening station but once done it becomes quick and easy to hone your blades back to perfect sharpness. Paul Sellers does the best videos I know on woodworking - here's his explanation of initialising new chisels. Interestingly, Paul is using three sharpening stones in this three year old video - he now uses sandpaper. [NB - here's a link to another post in which I've included a link to Paul's video on using sandpaper]

If you decide to set up a sharpening station like this you'll find you will be much more inclined to keep all your blades in tiptop condition.

Glenn subsequently made his own sharpening station and followed the initialisation process, and reports that he now has super-sharp chisels. 

Hope this helps

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Don’t think that matters much, I have strips of  3x5 inch sandpaper in 5 grades, but don’t always use the 220 or 320 grade. It has to be big enough for that, a little bigger for the weight. Only thing to be sure to do is have one edge of the sandpaper meet the edge, this used only when honing the flat side of the chisel. I actually use a smooth large floor tile left over from my kitchen renovation. 

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

On 11/6/2021 at 9:21 PM, Landlubber Mike said:

the Kell guide if you have the Veritas one

I have both, the Kell guide I got on Derek’s recommendation after I had little luck using the Veritas one, especially for the mini 1/8th chisel.  It’s beautifully made but the single roller was just too tricky for a chisel honing novice like me.  The Kell guide makes it very easy to get sharp chisels. I highly recommend it and have a Veritas guide for sale if anyone wants one. No angle guide is needed, just follow the chart measuring the distance of the chisel from the guide bar, I made a little gig and can quickly set the angle.

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

18 hours ago, Jack12477 said:

Derek, what dimensions do you suggest for the plate glass station ?

I agree with Glenn's comments above. Mine's about 20" X 10", but that's only because I've got 6 grits.  I could probably get away with just using three most of the time, and if you wanted to save space you could stick less-used grits on the other side of the glass.

Cheers, Derek