HMS SPHINX Build Commentary

hollowneck

HMS SPHINX Build Comments & Observations

Note:

This post is not specifically a “What’s In The Box” Kit Review. The photos and comments have been prepared by ship modeler, Ron Neilson, in lieu of a full Build Log.

A Quick Summary by one modeler:

Although I am only about halfway through my build of the latest Vanguard Models kit, HMS Sphinx, and while I have made some of my own modifications (as any builder does), the process thus far has been excellent, thanks to the high-quality of this kit.

Many precisely cut pieces of mostly MDF and decent quality Swiss Pear have been provided. As I was building up the basic and extensive hull forms, I constantly referenced my calipers to double-check the fitting of parts. At first, I couldn’t believe the precision of these elements. In many cases, I measured +/- .005 – which is quite extraordinary. The construction in some areas is “Lego-like,” that is, “plug ‘n’ play.” This aspect of the fundamental hull “skeleton” also helps maintain precision tolerances across the entire length and breadth of the 1/64 ( 3/16” = 1 foot) model. The kit’s provided building jigs - which you assemble separately - are also very useful.

As witness to the unique design innovations embodied in the kit, what is shown in these photos was completed in less than forty-five days. I’d estimate that in the recent past, a model of similar complexity and scale would have taken me nearly twice the time. Vanguard has created a stunningly high-quality kit that can be crafted by any journeyman ship modeler with a moderate level of perseverance.

Precise, laser cut pear wood is employed throughout the build. The delicate “rails” along the hull are provided as pre-cut patterns which is a very interesting approach to creating these necessary elements. All gunports (22 including the bridle ports) align nicely with the layered approach to building up the bulwarks to faithful thickness. A single piece gundeck is delicately and precision-etched to indicate the tapered planking, trunnels included. The deck furniture pieces are all in pear and because they are lasered from similar stock, all match, beautifully. Although slightly tricky to align properly, the design of the amidships chain pump handle mechanism is brilliant. The same applies to the über-detailed hand pumps. Both are P.E mini-masterpieces that will be fun to build.

There is nice detail on the ironwork components. The deck coamings, hatches, bitts and various support stanchions lend themselves to nice extra detailing. The quarter galleries are always a challenge to fabricate, but the design in this kit is the best I’ve encountered thus far in years of building this era of sailing ships. The detail of the tiered P/E roof tiling is especially nice.

The severe stern tuck was worth the effort, the built-up rudder and cleverly-designed ironwork for the gudgeons and pintles is evident on close inspection.

The headworks are exquisitely designed and detailed with a combination of precision laser-etched pear pieces. I was impressed once more at the close tolerances of all these items that fit together like a glove. The single-piece upper stern cabin resin cast decoration is very clever and a definite showpiece of the model.

The extensive, decorative elements of this model are what will draw many modelers to make the investment in both time and treasure to build it. The sweep of the ship’s lines is very appealing; I can imagine that in real life, this was a gorgeous ship to behold, indeed. The clever design engineering, the fastidious manufacturing, excellent materials and comprehensive guidance provided in this high-calorie kit (the build manual and extensive, full-size plans) is exemplary; cleverness and ingenuity abounds throughout.  Did I mention the large, full-color, clearly photographed, 144-page Build Manual accompanied by twenty-three (count ’em!) extensive, full-size, actual scale (1:64) large plans? It boggles the mind initially when one opens the heavy (insert weight in pounds- 15lbs?) and sturdy box of goodies. The manual and plans alone must weigh 3 pounds. What kit manufacturer does this? Vanguard Models does. And there will be countless builders who want, need and can afford the exemplary challenges this kit provides. Regarding money, this kit’s ultimate value is that it can potentially deliver a museum-quality model and thus, in my world, it’s a bargain at twice the price.

The HMS Sphinx kit stands as the current pinnacle of Vanguard Models’ superb and innovative work over the last many years by the U.K.’s dedicated and well-regarded ship model kit designer, Chris Watton.

———-

The photos aren't in a chronological sequence, only random shots I've taken during my build to the date of this post. There will be more commentary and photos to come as I make more progress with my fun build. And why spend many solitary hours at this challenging hobby if it isn’t fun?

CAMmidships01.jpg

CAMBench101821.jpg

CAMBulwarks02.jpg

CamillaWIP.jpg

CAMCannon01.jpg

CAMSternComplete.jpg

CAMNakedStern.jpg

CAMOven.jpg

CamPumps01.jpg

CAMQtrGal001jpg.jpg

CAMRudder02.jpg

CAMStem01.jpg

CAMInsideBul.jpg

CAMBulwarks01.jpg

CAMView92321.jpg

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

Great review and you're doing a great job of building her.  

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

That's about as high as the praise gets for a model ship kit!

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild

Whoa Gentlemen! This is all going to my head😂.......(keep it coming!🤪)

Sincere thanks. I'll contribute more "updates" as I move along in lieu of a formal Build Log. There are so many great things about this kit, there's plenty more insights to come.

For example: just in today's build session, I've noted that it's very important to tell prospective Sphinx builders that the decision to build her as a "reveal" (open viewing through the top decks) means that one needs to seriously consider NOT Masting or RIGGING (stub masts would be o.k. simulating a "Dockyard/Admiralty" style model). I've anticipated that when I reach the masting/rigging stage that the view into these openings will be quite obscured and one will need to get perilously close to the model to actually peer into the below deck(s) goodies. One needs to consider just how much an effort should be expended with the superb interior details if they're going to rig this beauty.

I should note that I am building the HMS Sphinx kit as HMS Camilla, a sister ship of nearly identical dockyard specs. I also need to mention that my model is being built also as a waterline/diorama model wherein, 80% below the waterline won't be seen. This should explain why there is no finished planking running to the keel/garboard area.

Enuff for now!

Ron

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

1 hour ago, hollowneck said:

I also need to mention that my model is being built also as a waterline/diorama model wherein, 80% below the waterline won't be seen.

I hope you will document the process of building the diorama, Ron. That's a subject that doesn't get a lot of coverage here on MSW.

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

Bob,

Thanks for the shout out. I plan to take photos of the entire project as it moves along. There is a lot of interest in dioramas and I agree there isn't much detail since I believe there aren't many ship modelers who are comfortable with this creative aspect. I understand this as I had reservations myself a few models ago. It does add significantly to the build time. It can also add additional money to projects too, depending on the materials and size of presentation.

As I post for my HMS Camilla over the next couple months and as I get to post-rigging and sails, I'll keep a sharp weather eye on interest for more detail on how I create my water/maritime scenarios. I plan to complete my model with set sails BEFORE I build its setting.

Ron

Ron

thank you for posting that, a great review, and well done @chris watton

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

I have decided to create a Build Log for my build of Vanguard's HMS Sphinx, rather than continue to post my photos and comments here - as well as intruding on other's logs with detailed posts.

I've got a new set of photos with commentary that I'll post in Kit Build logs sometime soon. This is where all my detailed stuff more appropriately belongs.

Thanks for your encouragement guys (and gals), see you there in a few.

Ron

Ron

2 minutes ago, hollowneck said:

I have decided to create a Build Log for my build of Vanguard's HMS Sphinx,

Great, Ron! I'm looking forward to learning a lot from your wonderful modeling skills!

Bob Garcia

Current Builds: 

That's good news on your doing a log, Ron.   I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

2 hours ago, hollowneck said:

I have decided to create a Build Log for my build of Vanguard's HMS Sphinx, rather than continue to post my photos and comments here - as well as intruding on other's logs with detailed posts.

I've got a new set of photos with commentary that I'll post in Kit Build logs sometime soon. This is where all my detailed stuff more appropriately belongs.

Thanks for your encouragement guys (and gals), see you there in a few.

Ron

Indeed Ron, please join the party and provide a Link to your log (also i dont mind you spamming my Log with your pics, please feel free to do so whenever you feel like it, i do enjoy the direct Input)

Jacek

Current Build: HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models 1/64 

On Hold/Parallel: Lady Nelson - Amati/Victory Models 1/64