I have adopted another orphaned kit

You ever hear the old saying, "No Good Deed goes unpunished". Well, it rang true for me today. I took the Nordkap orphan to the shipper this morning to get her sent off to her new owner and the shipping was $150.00. They first told me when I called to get and estimate the shipping would be less than $130.00. But when I arrived at my local shipper, when she plugged in the owners address, she said Fedex was charging a $27.00 surcharge fee due to the package being delivered to a rural address. I was stunned, but I broke out the wallet and dug a little deeper. This was after spending about $60.00 for packing material like 1x2 wood for framing, tape, staples and $40.00 worth of packing peanuts.

Now I have had to pay surcharges before by the P&O and UPS for over sized packages or due to the package weight, but this was a first for me. I have been pondering that this one would be my last orphan adoption and if it were, would I stick with my decision this time and I think this kind of sealed the deal for me. I have a couple of builds left like the Calypso and a small tug boat for my grandson, but after that it will be scarce.   

Edited by mtdoramike

Build for own pleasure and your loved ones, Mike, or perhaps for your friends or your neighbors and skip the shipping. I think it would also be fair for the buyer to be responsible for all the shipping charges if you need to ship. Whatever you decide, I hope you won't give up what you love to do and do it so well.

Bob Garcia

"Measure once, cuss twice!"

Current Builds: 

Hms Brig-Sloop Flirt 1782 - Vanguard Models

Pen Duick - Artesania Latina 1:28

Completed: Medway Longboat 1742 - Syren Ship Model Co. 

Member of the Nautical Research Guild