HMS Sphinx 1775 by Hollowneck - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1:64

Thank you, Chris. I am really glad that I can make this excellent kit's designer pleased. I can't wait to take some hi-res, properly lit pics of this beauty.

I can see the finish line on completing the hull and it's truly been a fun project right from Page 1. I am now looking forward to getting started on her masting and rigging. I plan to make some modifications with materials for this part of the build; I'll clearly note where I've substituted (initially, for masting/yards). I always use square section sticks - either pear, box or a combo of both, so I'll put the kit's walnut dowel in a wood stash.

I've done a little research on how stunsails were deployed on these 5th and 6th rates. It seems that some ships used stunsail booms (the flip-out yards mounted to the channels), but some mounted these helper sails "loose-footed" - the bottom of the stunsail held taut with a single rope lashed to a triangular arrangement at the foot. Apparently, there were advantages to both methods. I'm mentioning this now as I haven't decided whether or not to mount the kit's provided stunsail booms to their channels since I intend to make and mount these sails in addition to the vessel's normal complement, a first for me. I love a new challenge - obviously!

Hey Glenn. Good eye...but...actually, Camilla can turn to port and starboard. In both of my photos the opposing end of the steering rope is hidden behind the wheel's stanchion(s). It really does descend down and right through the first Lieutenant's cabin. I know this because he asked me if I knew what a "spanshackle" was. 

(I'm holding-off on giving a definition for a few days; I'm curious how many builders of this era have this bit of arcane nautical engineering knowledge. Hint: the device was a critical piece of gear that helped to weigh anchor.)

NO GOOGLING (please)....🤨

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Director, Nautical Research Guild

Secretary/Newsletter Editor, Philadelphia Ship Model Society

Former Member/Secretary for the Connecticut Marine Model Society

Current Build: Godspeed 2, (Wyoming, 6-masted Schooner)

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

The shackle for holding the fishdavit.  The only reason I know is my Granado has them fitted.  As much as I would like to claim the dram, it is a bit far.  I’ll raise a glass of Talisker to you, Slainte!

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

14 hours ago, Craigie65 said:

The shackle for holding the fishdavit.  The only reason I know is my Granado has them fitted.  As much as I would like to claim the dram, it is a bit far.  I’ll raise a glass of Talisker to you, Slainte!

Ai! - Exactement, charaid.

You're the winner of my Dalwhinnie dram. I'd be pleased to down that Tallister of Tennant's on my next visit to Falkirk (after dropping in to the Tun Mash in Forres).

You won't be surprised to know that I also built the Caldercraft Granado a few builds (and years) back and - discovered the spanshackle hardware artifact - and I subsequently looked it up in Lee's.

Sláinte!

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Completed Builds: HMS Grecian, HMS Sphinx (as HMS CamillaOngakuka Maru, (Higaki Kaisen, It Takes A Village), Le Tigre Privateer, HMS Swan, HMS Godspeed, HMS Ardent, HMS Diana, Russian brig Mercury, Elizabethan Warship Revenge, Xebec Syf'Allah, USF Confederacy, HMS Granado, USS Brig Syren

I believe that the spanshackle on the opposite side of the forecastle was used to secure the inboard end of the fish davit. As you haae it, the leverage would place severe strain on the spanshackle bolt, even though it extends down through two beams below.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

4 minutes ago, druxey said:

I believe that the spanshackle on the opposite side of the forecastle was used to secure the inboard end of the fish davit. As you haae it, the leverage would place severe strain on the spanshackle bolt, even though it extends down through two beams below.

Your insights are always valuable and valued!

That makes good sense, Druxey; just follow the Laws of Physics. The fish davit is not only lengthy, it it bulky and had to be a really heavy lift to put into service. The ropes along its midsection for sailors to manhandle* also makes perfect sense.

My Granado model's fish davit is lashed down across the foc'sle. Knowing how bomb vessels were deployed, having a handy fish davit makes perfect sense too. 

Cheers,

Ron

*manhandle. I love this word, almost as much as spanshackle.

Ron

1 hour ago, hollowneck said:

PS Your build looks really nice, well done.

‘It is finished but covered in dust and a bit dented in places

image.jpg

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

Interesting photo of Lowestoft. However, think of the weight of that spar, then having to heave it outboard even more before you can slip the end back through the spanshackle. It would probably tip overboard, the laws of physics being what they are. An illustration in Falconer shows a little less than half the length of the davit outboard,

The model photo may be suspect, as so many models were re-rigged or 'restored' over the years. I'm having particular difficulty with a research project, where very old repairs are almost impossible to distinguish from original work.

Be sure to sign up for an epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series  http://trafalgar.tv

What year was Lowestoft?  Lavery says up to 1750 only on spanshackle was fitted near the centerline.

That model appears to follow that convention..

Luck is just another word for good preparation.

—MICHAEL ROSE

Current builds:    Rattlesnake (Scratch From MS Plans 

On Hold:  HMS Resolution ( AKA Ferrett )

In the Gallery: Yacht Mary,  Gretel, French Cannon

3 hours ago, druxey said:

Interesting photo of Lowestoft. However, think of the weight of that spar, then having to heave it outboard even more before you can slip the end back through the spanshackle. It would probably tip overboard, the laws of physics being what they are. An illustration in Falconer shows a little less than half the length of the davit outboard,

The model photo may be suspect, as so many models were re-rigged or 'restored' over the years. I'm having particular difficulty with a research project, where very old repairs are almost impossible to distinguish from original work.

Although it appears the davit is too far extended, I like that the Lowestoft model shows large blocks and tackle affixed to the end and back to the channel, presumably to raise an anchor.

If a fish davit was used, would the hauling rope thus be affixed to a capstan? And, would there still be a need for an anchor lining? It seems the fish davit/spanshackle combo disappeared by the late 1700's, yes? ...finally, was a fish davit used for any other purpose (e.g. lifting a boat onto the deck or loading ship's stores)?

I'll bet you know the answers to this sailor's burning questions!

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

A fish davit was, as the name implies, used specifically for anchor operations. It was replaced by a short davit in around 1800. For raising ships' boats or other heavier items, tackles on the mainstay and yardarms was used. You could not swing items inboard simply using a fish davit.

A fish davit is rigged in the accompanying photo as are tackle from the mainstay and yardarms to the boat in the waist.

Resolution 3.jpg

Edited by druxey

16 minutes ago, druxey said:

A fish davit was, as the name implies, used specifically for anchor operations. It was replaced by a short davit in around 1800. For raising ships' boats or other heavier items, tackles on the mainstay and yardarms was used. You could not swing items inboard simply using a fish davit.

A fish davit is rigged in the accompanying photo as are tackle from the mainstay and yardarms to the boat in the waist.

Resolution 3.jpg

I knew you had the answers! Spanshackle in the center - check; rigged fish davit - check; anchor lining present-check. Thanks. I'm presuming that the word "fish" is a verb and therefore attached to "davit" because one had to "fish out" the anchor from the sea bottom and had little to do with feeding the crew...🤣

The photo appears to be your HMS Resolution, correct?

Ron

Ron

A number of finishing details in this update.

BowBoomkins01.jpg

Boomkins shaped and mounted. They look huge and out-of-scale here. However, they are tapered and have a slight curvature per normal.

I've started serious considerations for Camilla's presentation in the water and what the sea conditions (and colors) will look like. If I decide she's headed into choppy waters and few big swells (the pervasive image throughout my build), I may need to add a few more planks to her bow (not the stern). I envision her cutwater smashing into a large wave, her stern escaping a deep trough and her sails showing a serious starboard list.

CAMBelay.jpg

A set of belaying pins in the forward foc'sle bitts, ready to go! These are the turned pear ones from Russia. Click on MSW's homepage link of vendors for "CraftySailor" for the belaying pins as well as lots of other really nice kits n' bits. No business affiliation here, but definitely a strong endorsement!

CAMLanternClose.jpg

The dual stern lanterns are superbly-designed, 3D-printed assemblies, the detail quite remarkable; for example, if one looks closely under the cap, there are tiny holes for the air and heat to escape! In addition, they are glazed with a single-piece, laser-etched clear acrylic that is fitted into the interior of the main, single-piece body. This requires a little trimming to fit properly but nothing too drastic or difficult to accomplish. The cap fits perfectly to the body of the lantern. There are lots of options on colors for these two lanterns; I chose to stay with basic black with a touch of gold. Lastly, they mount with a piece of thin brass rod supplied in the kit and fit into the holes that were previously drilled - from the interior transom - from an earlier build stage. I have pliers with stepped, graduated round sections that can precisely bend brass wire into smooth, curving shapes. The ensign pole is also a temporary placeholder. This view doesn't show the acetate glazing mounted inside the stern lights, but it's there!

Camilla's name is yet to be placed on the upper transom; this will be added as soon as I decide what color to paint the board where the letters will be added. Those building this kit know that the "SPHINX" name is etched into the pear transom pattern and is a guide for subsequent mounting of the P/E letters. Rather than replace this tricky piece with a scratched one, I decided to simply mount an appropriately-sized, thin section of .6mm pear (lots available from a kit sheet) over the etched name with an added signboard.

CAMLaunchTest01.jpg

I'm testing the look and fit of two items here: the addition of a spare topmast to be made at the same time as the one that will be fastened to the lower mainmast. The dowel here is only a placeholder, but cut to the right length of a finished mast. I've placed the 24' launch's pear keel piece from the kit on top of three beams that fit across the width of the mid deck. I'll only need three beams here to carry the spare mast (the kit offers four) and launch when it's completed. The launch will be flipped "belly-up" and lashed to the beams, with no rigging or "boat bits" evident (see next photo). This decision means that I'll only be building one ship's boat purposefully. When completed and underway in the English Channel, my depiction of HMS Camilla places her in an action setting; she has left port on a war footing, with only one boat aboard, and a Captain itching to secure a French prize for himself and his loyal crew...

CAMMidBoatTest.jpg

Here is a placeholder hull for Camilla's only boat. I'm not rigging the hammock cranes until much later in the rigging stage. They'll carry ropes as well as netting. By displaying only one boat (and not the three provided), there is lots of visual space so that the details of this exceptional kit will be clearly visible, even post-rigging.

CAMMidBoatTest02.jpg

Another gull's eye view of the midships arrangement of the spare mast and launch. A spare topmast was more important than another boat. I'm guessing a topmast weighed about the same as a boat.

CAMSternStrbd.jpg

I've put placeholder masts in position just for the fun of it (including the bowsprit). There are just a small handful of items left to do before masting and yards - like all the chains and deadeyes! Oh yeah, rudder chains and ropes, the balance of the tompions...and... as soon as the four Vanguard carronade kits arrive, they'll be assembled and mounted on her quarterdeck, the proper positions pre-determined.

Camilla has temporarily sculled into my dining room so the Admiral can help me decide where she is going to go after she departs her building slip in the basement...🤪

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

• 2 weeks later...

More detailing and the addition of Quarterdeck Carronades.

CAMCarronadesClose.jpg

Four 12-pounder carronades awaiting their breeching ropes. The Vanguard carronades are cast resin to which you add small P/E parts for the cascabel breech loop, an elevation arm and a sight at the end of the muzzle. This last item - the tiny sight piece - is the smallest item I've yet to encounter in ship modeling! In the case of the smaller carriage assemblies, the straps to hold the carronades were made from 1.5mm wide black card stock which was considerably easier to fashion and mount than the small P/E pieces that didn't like the compound bending required to get them right.

Two carriages are the smaller configuration (foreground) while the other two are similar to the larger long cannon carriages...because...

CAMCarronadesStern.jpg

... the carronades at the aft most position needed the additional elevation to aim above the bulwark capping. This view shows all four in position, muzzles protruding between timberheads and clear of the subsequent shroud and backstay rigging. The breeching ropes (next on my mini-list), will have served loops that hook over the timberheads.

Adding the carronades to the quarterdeck gave the 5th & 6th rates even more intimidation power during close encounters. The evolution of this technological and manufacturing armament refinement led to even more carronades being placed on the ships; the Foc'sle got two additional carronades and as the ships were modified or re-designed with additional built-up bulwarks (to protect the fighting gun crews), the calibre of the short-range weapons increased to as much as 24 lb capacities (a doubling).

I decided to show HMS Camilla in this later era of adaptation to technology; as the British Navy entered into even greater conflict with France at the end of the century, the new weapons  (and superior expertise of the sailors), gave the entire English navy decided tactical advantages. 

CAMPolySwab.jpg

Swabbing the channels...with a Wipe-On polyurethane, except it isn't wiped-on. I use compact swabs for detailing the components I want to have a polyurethane finish (Satin). These come in mulitple packs from Tamiya. This is a final step before attaching the deadeye assemblies on all the channels.

CAMSwabTool.jpg

Another view of applying the satin polyurethane to the exposed pear pieces. I choose this finish, in part, to emulate the old-school finishing that typically used either varnish or shellac on models, both natural wood finishing materials.

Don't forget to mount eyebolts to the channels before you rig the deadeyes and chains. The same applies to the stunsail boom hardware shown here.

CamQdeckView.jpg

Carronades in-place, some deadeyes mounted. The majority of the model's pear wood components have been carefully coated with a satin finish and left to dry for at least 24 hours before proceeding with any additional handling (thinking the chains and deadeyes).

CAMCarronadePortView.jpg

12 lb carronades on the quarterdeck. These stubby cannons could lob salvos of various metal bits at an enemy ship in close range. This subsequently became known as "schrapnel." Certainly, the deadly shards of metal could kill or wound an enemy's sailors but the prevailing tactic was to aim the beefy, short-range cannon at rigging and sails. If the enemy ship's propulsion system became compromised, it usually led to their subsequent capture - a priority for many a captain and his crew - and, in many instances, prize money for all.

CAMPolyFinishSwab.jpg

My preferred poly finish. Oil-based, it takes a while to fully dry, especially in cold months. The cotton swabs from Tamiya shown here for scale; the swabs are very narrow and allow one to apply the synthetic finish in tight spots. Once dry, the poly finish is very tough; to my eye it also appears to deepen the underlying colors of the surfaces to which it is applied - a benefit in addition to protecting the hardwoods from moisture, ultraviolet light - the ravages of time...

CAMChannelDetails.jpg

Don't forget to attach the various eyebolts and the stunsail boom stirrups and brackets to the fore and main channels before mounting the deadeyes and chains. A handful of midship hammock cranes have been rigged with their ropes. In addition to the exposed natural pear woods, I've also applied the satin poly finish to the wales.

CAMBelCopper.jpg

I decided to add even a little more pizzazz to my über-detailed belfry: a copper sheath on the fancy capping piece. I added a little darkening chemical to "age" it. I like the look of the belfry's contrasting brass bell. The Falkonet 9mm pear belaying pins are in-place and stained. The foc'sle safety rope stanchions have been rigged.

I'll note once again that these 300- 500% close-up photo magnifications have the effect of raising one's game. When I download the photos from my iPhone to my computer, I'll see all kinds of things my normal vision doesn't catch. I'm using the "zooming" software in my phone for the enlargements; this is not ideal since it lowers the resolution, however the benefit is very effective for evaluating where I need touch-ups - and in a worst case, a do-over...

CAMFiebings.thumb.jpg.7654e085f975cd09bf10713e7c8a3ad3.jpg

I've chosen to make Camilla's deadeyes black; to accomplish this I use Fiebing's leather dye in their black solution; the company makes a number of colors. The dye penetrates tight hardwood grains, is permanent and dries flat. Get some on your fingers and it will be there for a month or two (just kidding, but it does GO DEEP)!

Before dipping the deadeyes into the dye, I gently sanded-off most of the finish on the kit's supplied deadeyes (large and small) with a small nail file. This is quite fiddly and time-consuming indeed, but worth it to me. If the shiny finish on the deadeyes isn't removed, the dye only gets into the holes and the routed exterior rope channel effectively, which isn't where I want it.

CAMQdeckStanchions.thumb.jpg.1a60a9e60e79f0dc64f2be138430e398.jpg

A mild dilemma: the arrows point to a selection of rope stanchions on the quarterdeck bulwarks; I'm not certain these were used for hammock cranes in addition to being safety lines, but possibly. The position of these tall metal bars appears to interfere with the shroud line rigging for the mainmast. I've mounted them temporarily and I'll soon find out if they interfere.

I like the look of the black deadeyes matching the black bulwark capping, the sharp contrast with the pear channels and other pear bits. I don't know how historically accurate this is; however, I do know that I've seen dozens of Royal Navy models of the era with black deadeyes!

I await my black eye from someone here who can offer more detail on this bit of arcana!

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

Boomkins, Chains and a Full Deck…

CAMPortChains.jpg

As Aretha sang: "Chain, chain , chain...chain o' "  ...Port side chains completed. I may satin poly finish the deadeyes, haven't decided yet. My incomplete lower hull might confuse look-in modelers; HMS Camilla will be displayed in a waterline diorama.

CAMBoomkin.jpg

A boomkin, tapered and "bent" in its gentle curve; I used some scrap birch dowel for this piece. In very short lengths, the supplied walnut dowel didn't cooperate very well for me when it came to giving this prominent component a graceful arc. Process: after tapering and notching the end for the block rigging, I soaked the shaped dowel in hot water, devised a simple bending jig and used a heat gun to set the curve and then, when dry, some chestnut stain to finish it off (then the poly finish). The bowsprit is a temporary placeholder "stub." Gammoning this mast is going to be fun...🤯

CAMQdeckCarrMtd.jpg

The starboard q'deck carronades; as my wife says: "cute little buggers." Now mounted with their breeching ropes, ready for action! The ends of the ropes are simply tied-off and then looped over their respective timberheads.

CAMTinyReminder.jpg

The smallest of the 12lb carronades in its carriage. The rope I used for it's breeching line and a small alligator clip (for scale). Like their larger siblings, I attached the served breech rope to the final assembly before I mounted it to its quarterdeck station.

CAM12LittleGuy.jpg

12lb carronades on carriages: what a fun little mini-project - X4! There's a rigging eyebolt very close to the carriage wheel (and rope) I'll have to deal with before I get too far into Camilla's rigging. Worst case, I'll just move its position over a few mm's.

CAM3Swabs.jpg

A random pic just to show the different tiny swab brushes I use to paint and do final poly finishing. Each tip has its own utility in tight spots. These are available from MicroMark - or other hobby stores that do a lot of plastic kit accessory items. Invaluable - and for me- easier to use than holding small paintbrushes at awkward angles.

CAmCarronadeMTD.jpg

Another cameo for Mr. 12lb Carronade (this one is mounted and roped on the larger carriage so it can aim over the elevated bulwarks position...)

This early weapon incarnation still used a quoin to elevate the muzzle to a guessworked firing elevation; I'll bet this was fun to do in the heat of battle. Not. A few years later, some brilliant bloke figured out that an elevating screw mechanism was faster, safer and a lot easier to raise and lower the stubby and heavy muzzle-loading artifacts. This improvement became imperative for the Royal Navy as the carronade evolved to be a 24 lb - and in a few cases - a weapon that lobbed a 32 lb projectile. 

CAMOtherDeck.jpg

Work'in on a full house. A 52-card deck: caulking not required.

A couple weeks ago I uploaded a photo of my last project (LeTigre) to Shutterfly (.com) just for the heck of it since they were pushing a special deal for $10.00 customized playing cards.

I always take numerous photos of my models when they're completed since another past time is photography. I use my model photos for "coffee table books" as well as for other things, like large, framed decorative prints. The "photo books" I subsequently create and publish tell a background story on the ship, the history and other anecdotal references to my overall modeling project.

I bit on the recent Shutterfly promo (heck, it's Christmas!).

Impress your friends, intimidate your enemies. Bring them to the bridge or poker table; great for whist aficionados. That little rascal of a carronade keeps popping-up in different spots on my bench; I'd better tie him down soon...

Happy Holidays Everyone. Let's hope that 2022 is the year that The Plague retreats for good and waves the white flag.

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

4 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

A wealth of interesting info in the last couple of posts, Ron, she should look very impressive set in her seascape. 👍

B. E.

Thank you, B.E. Your build has given me excellent tips n' tricks: much appreciated.

I'm one of those sailing ship era dudes who gets excited in anticipation of the next steps: rigging, set sails. Then...making the box and the H2O to set Camilla at sail.

I am ever thankful my wife appreciates my need to display my model in a 24" X 48" diorama base to be placed somewhere in our house (as yet undetermined).

For a few months, every sailing ship model is a beguiling Mistress, taking me out to sea, but she understands. I am a lucky man.

Ron

Edited by hollowneck

Ron

I don't think much aiming was involved when using a carronade - it was a short range, wide-spread anti=personnel weapon, Simply point it in roughly the right direction, No finesse required.

Love the deck of cards, but shouldn't the image on the back of them be of, ahem, a deck?

Happy if modified holidays!

As B.E. says, a wealth of interest and great photos. My Sphinx is still in her box but itching to get out when I read your log!

Best wishes

Derek

Cheers, Derek

Current build:   Duchess of Kingston

On hold:              HMS Winchelsea

Previous builds:  HMS SpeedyEnglish Pinnace, Royal Yacht Caroline (gallery),

Victory Cross-section (gallery), US Clipper Albatros, Red Dragon (years ago!)

On the stocks:    18th Century Longboat

Thanks Derek.

I've just had another closer look at some of your models and you are a fine modeler. The Sphinx will be a very rewarding experience and a good match with your previous projects.

As you've likely already noted, my Build Log won't be helpful until you get to the later stages as I didn't start until most of the kit's skeleton/structural bits were completed. I do suggest looking-in at Build Logs for others who've posted in the early stages. There are a couple "gotchas" that are discussed and well documented ( I'm thinking virtually ALL the other builds ), mostly around the fitting and position of the stern patterns; this is a critical part of this build and others have explained their tribulations and subsequent solutions. As I've noted a few times in my Log, once you crack open the box of goodies and start fitting you'll soon discover the very close tolerances of all the pear wood pattern pieces, the beefy MDF parts. Like other recent Vanguard kits, the extensive P/E and the superbly-cast resin/3D printed components are a delightful step up.

Good Luck on your journey. This kit rewards its builders with a "next-level model" of striking beauty and complexity in its presentation. Friends and family will exclaim: "OMG! Did you build that!"

I suggest a confident, warm smile as your response.

Cheers,

Ron

Edited by hollowneck
spelling correction

Ron

6 hours ago, DelF said:

My Sphinx is still in her box

I’m sure, like your Speedy and Duchess, it will become the Vanguard reference build once you do.  With Winchelsea underway it will be a long time before I get my Sphinx out of the cabinet. I’ll likely follow BE’s path of an admiralty build when I do but I might miss rigging something by then.

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Looking really great Ron.  Happy holidays!

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

2 hours ago, Landlubber Mike said:

Looking really great Ron.  Happy holidays!

Thanks, Mike. The same back at'cha - you & yours. And a Happ(ier) New Year!

Ron

Ron

Found a little shop time post-holidays. This update shows a number of small fixes to various hull areas before the masts are created.

CAMBenderClose.jpg

I acquired a photoetch bending jig a couple years ago for precise folding/bending of small P/E parts. Shown here is a spanshackle after it's been bent to form its deck mounting pin. This piece will be mounted along the centerline of the foc'sle deck. A little earlier in my log the subject of fish davits and spanshackles came up.

On a hunch, I trolled through several leftover stash boxes and found this small P/E piece from an earlier build; it's a scale-accurate spanshackle! After painting it black it gets mounted on the foc'sle deck, near the foremast.

Lesson: save all your kit leftovers. I suspect most builders do. I store mine in various sizes of compartmented plastic pill boxes and divider boxes. Like various sizes of clamps, you can never have too many of these either...

CAMpeBender.jpg

The flat P/E here is ready to be folded upward; a "lifting" tool- either a single-edged razor blade or the tip of a thin chisel - is used to form the various angles required on flat P/E pieces like this one. The multiple size"fingers" permit an unlimited variety of angles and clamping options; the aluminum clamping bar can be easily rotated to select various sized fingers to suit the P/E forming task.

CamSpanshackle.jpg

Here's the spanshackle, painted and mounted to the foc'sle deck. The square iron "shackle" could be raised (presumably a hinged asssembly) and one end of a fish davit would be held captive in this iron ring while the length of the davit rested on the "crutch" (indicated by the arrow). The davit beam was quite long and would thus extend well over the bulwarks to aid in hauling anchors. Davit crutches are mounted on the starboard as well as larboard gunwales.

CAmScuttleLead.jpg

I decided to paint the scuppers a light grey color to simulate lead outlet pipes. Earlier in my build they appeared as copper piping. As I'm nearing completion of the hull I'm changing the color of some elements to be more historically accurate as well as more aesthetically pleasing.

A NOTE: don't forget to close up the ends of the chain straps once you've mounted the deadeyes.

CAMRudderChains.jpg

I've mounted the rudder chains shown here but I'm doing some additional research now on the accurate depiction of these. Many legacy NMM models show rudder chains "draped" fully across the lower transom at two or more support points, rather than the single point of support shown here near the edge of the finishing piece.

Rudder chains were critical. In heavy seas or with an unfortunate bottom scrape to the keel - or a good shot by an enemy- a rudder could suddenly become "unhinged" from its iron hull straps (pintles & gudgeons). I believe the stress that would be associated with a large, heavy rudder coming "unshipped" (the nautical term) would be tremendous and thus require multiple supports to keep it from breaking away completely from the stern - and thus floating away. Obviously, if this happened, a sailing ship was in rather deep doo-doo.

The kit's supplied chain (besides being a little too shiny for my taste) isn't quite long enough to achieve the additional length along the transom, so I'll need to find a replacement that's long enough for both sides... hopefully there's some spare chain in my leftover stash boxes! 

YIKES! Reviewing my photos here, I just noticed on this particular photo (above) I omitted closing-up one of the mizzen chains, second one to starboard, beneath the channel. As I've commented previously, taking extreme closeup photos of one's model and looking at them critically will definitely reveal details that need more attention.

CamRudderChainFasten.jpg

The arrow points to the single point of attachment for the rudder chain, per the kit's plans. I will likely add two additional support eyebolts to show three points of support (per side), not just one and add the lengthened chains. There was heavy rope lashed to the chain to help retrieve an unshipped rudder from the ship's wake.

CAMJumpRings.jpg

"Jump rings" for attaching the rope to the rudder chain. These are handy little pieces I often use for other rigging tasks. There are none of these in the kit. I typically blacken them chemically (rather difficult to paint). These handy pieces can be found in the "beading craft" section of hobby/craft stores; I buy them (in different sizes) from Joanne's Fabrics. They can also be sourced from jewelry suppliers. 

CAMSternProblem.jpg

Ugh! I am not happy with the funky, raw, unfinished look of this stern area. It doesn't look correct, appears incomplete and more important, doesn't represent a decent shipwright carpentry solution. Needless to say, it needs fixing. Unfortunately, I'll have to work around the stern lanterns to accomplish my fix and also be very careful to not break or scratch other adjacent details.

CAMTaffrailFix.jpg

Here's how I intend to deal with this "sore thumb." I have in my pear wood stash several strips of .5mm thick X 4.5mm strips. I need only a single short length to mount along the full width of this curved stern taffrail section (as the temporarily placed piece here shows).

I plan to soak the pear wood strip in hot water for only a few seconds and then form it with my fingertips along the existing curved sections while gluing it in-place with some CA. There is no good way to mount this with aliphatic glue and clamp it, so the solution must be CA. Even Bondic won't work. The wetted, warm pear strip - in addition to being extremely pliable and flexible - will activate the CA. Once tightly pressed along the wood and resin edges beneath it, the pear strip will hold fast...at least that's my plan...stay tuned.🤔

Should this work out to my satisfaction, I'll paint this stern capping (taffrail) in black to match all the others. There will also be some inevitable touch-up to the decorative piece.

Some may have spotted HMS Camilla's stern signboard badge has been colored in Pthalo blue, the hue I've used in my build. I've chosen this color to be consistent with the background color of the upper stern decorations. The lettering for her identity (in white) won't be added until the additional work at the stern has been completed, taffrail capping as well as rudder chain modifications.

I've started gathering my pear wood square stock and planing fixture for mast making - which I hope to get started on in the next few days. I'll show this important fixture in a future post.

Ron

Edited by hollowneck
error in build noted

Ron

Good progress Ron,

Those rudder pendants were also used to steer the ship were the wheel or steering lines lost or damaged. The pendant was usually secured in the Mizzen channels, and if required tackles were attached to help steer the ship.

I used  thin Evergreen styrene strip for the stern Capping rails on my Pegasus build. It easily follows the curves of the Tafferal, and as it was to be painted the material type wasn’t  critical.

As your Camilla is to be sea-set do you intend to fit a Rudder coat? That’s a big hole for a following sea to enter.🤔

B.E.

11 hours ago, Blue Ensign said:

Good progress Ron,

Those rudder pendants were also used to steer the ship were the wheel or steering lines lost or damaged. The pendant was usually secured in the Mizzen channels, and if required tackles were attached to help steer the ship.

I used  thin Evergreen styrene strip for the stern Capping rails on my Pegasus build. It easily follows the curves of the Tafferal, and as it was to be painted the material type wasn’t  critical.

As your Camilla is to be sea-set do you intend to fit a Rudder coat? That’s a big hole for a following sea to enter.🤔

B.E.

Thank You, B.E.

I am aware the rudder chains (and ropes) could - in a pinch- steer the ship if the normal steering were out of commission. I wasn't aware that the pendant ropes were tied-off in the mizzen channels; makes good sense, tho! Thanks for this specific info.

Presently, I've got these rudder pendants temporarily secured to a brace cleat on the q'deck which I did suspect wasn't the right spot. You've helped me suss out this detail. Correction forthcoming... 

Ah, yes, the curvy Tafferal. I also solved this identical issue with a thin strip of styrene for my HMS Swan build (neé Pegasus); the attached shows the capping piece in action, so-to-speak. If my thin pear won't do the trick, I'll use some styrene strip since that did work well. I encountered a similar problem years back that I partially resolved with some pear strip (HMS Ardent).

Another Yes, I plan to add a small piece of shaped aluminum foil to fashion a rudder boot. I tried other materials but this worked the best in the past. I'll paint it to appear as flexible brown leather. I've envisioned the diorama placing Camilla in a nasty weather trough, between large waves, a large following wave at her stern! 😳

Ron

DSC_1438.JPG

Edited by hollowneck
spelling correction

Ron