Making Brass Masts for 1/700 warships

I have thought about this since the model that I am building has steel masts, and for some reason modeling a metal object from metal always looks better.

My idea would be to stack telescoping sizes of brass tubing soft soldered together, and then taper them.  I am not nearly to the point where I need to try this.

1:700 scale?  That’s a whole different world!

Roger

The technique to use depends on the technology available to you.

Personally, I would use steel, but then I have a watchmakers lathe and made fixed steadies for use with them.

If you don't have a lathe, you could use a small rotary tool, place the material onto a piece of flat wood into which you cut a shallow groove to keep the material from whipping. You can work on it with fine files or sanding sticks. Using steel would make the mast stiffer, but it may be difficult to work it with such tools. Brass might be an easier option in such case.

Scale doesn't matter, but the absolute length of the part and in particular its diameter ...

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

panta rhei - Everything is in flux

M-et-M-72.jpg  Banner-AKHS-72.jpg  Banner-AAMM-72.jpg  ImagoOrbis-72.jpg

Wefalk,

I like your grooved board idea.   This could be used in conjunction with my Sherline lathe to taper a stack of telescoped tubing.  The two masts for my lake freighter Model will be thin in relation to their length.  The trick is to avoid whipping of the stick while getting a smooth taper.  

This problem is is at least a year away so I still have plenty of time to mull it over in my head.

Roger

With a (Sherline) lathe, I wouldn't bother with telescoped tubing, but would turn it from a steel rod. The point is to have a fixed or moving steady to keep the rod in place. Sherline does sell both types of steadies, but one can also improvise steadies. Old-time mechanics fixed pieces of wood or even thick card-board to the lathe bed with appropriate holes at centre-height. Of course, one can take very light cuts only, preferably with a very sharp HSS-tool.

Here I am turning a 2 mm diameter boom, which is about 60 mm long, between centres. I used the flexing of the steel rod to get the curvature of the boom. With a steady, on can turn straight sections.

image.png.1f2193d4fde2cf2110717e457643b071.png

Edited by wefalck

wefalck

Fairly accurate tapering can be turned  on the Sherline.  These tiny oil cans (copies of actual full size cans), about 1/4" diameter at the can's base, were completely turned on my Sherline  Lathe.  For turning tapers I use the step method. The material is divided segments. I calculate the diameter of the taper at the base of each step. I start with the stock back in the headstock protruding about two inches beyond the chuck jaws. I make the first turning to near the diameter of the taper at that  point.  I continue this until have cut alter taper points.  Then I finish it off with a file. 

cans - 1.jpeg

Edited by Bill Hudson

Fall down nine times, get up ten.

Bill,

Beautiful work!  For my last model, I used the step method on my Sherline to turn belaying pins from brass.  It worked well.  My telescoping tube idea is a variation of this method.  I don’t like the Sherline’s system for turning tapers; rotating headstock.  With the headstock rotated, of course you can’t use the alignment key so the headstock doesn’t want to accept Sid loads from turning.

What is your experience trying to turn tapers?

Roger

Dan -  All of the above is excellent advice, but perhaps mostly applicable to larger workpieces.  In 1/700 we're talking about, what, roughly .050" at the bottom of a battleship mast and length maybe as long as 2".  Less for smaller ships. 

As an occasional 1/350 modeler, I've had success in tapering brass wire by pinching it in a fold of wet/dry automotive sandpaper of 400 and higher grit and turning it with a variable speed shop drill.  If the drill chuck won't close down on your wire, there are microchucks with hexagonal shanks available, or you can hold the wire in a pin vise and place the pin vise in the drill chuck.  Light finger pressure and repeated passes will produce a taper reasonably quickly.  There's little chance of bending/whipping the this size stock at the rpm available with a shop drill.  If you have a high speed rotary tool, such as a Dremel with a chuck, the wire can be placed directly in the chuck and turned.  For that approach I'd recommend the v-groove technique discussed by wefalck, using a shallow groove and downward pressure on the sandpaper, to give you more control at the higher speed.

Bill

As noted above, no lathe is needed: just make a shallow V-groove in a piece of wood, chuck up the wire into your mini-drill and work away on the way with a sanding stick with, say, 600 grit 'wet-n-dry' paper. Not even a mini-drill is needed, you can just hold the wire between your fingers, turn it by, say, 30° and count the number of strokes with the sanding stick to achieve roundness.

wefalck

Why not just get something like this from Five Star (this is available from Free Time Hobbies or on eBay):

image.png.1408f5fab00289aaa15ad9359c8e6d1f.png

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Generic masts and the builder adds the yards. Good idea and your inner craftsman gets some needed work.

Ken

Started: MS Bounty Longboat,

On Hold:  Heinkel USS Choctaw paper

Down the road: Shipyard HMC Alert 1/96 paper, Mamoli Constitution Cross, MS USN Picket Boat #1

Scratchbuild: Echo Cross Section

Member Nautical Research Guild

On 11/20/2021 at 4:38 PM, Roger Pellett said:

Bill,

Beautiful work!  For my last model, I used the step method on my Sherline to turn belaying pins from brass.  It worked well.  My telescoping tube idea is a variation of this method.  I don’t like the Sherline’s system for turning tapers; rotating headstock.  With the headstock rotated, of course you can’t use the alignment key so the headstock doesn’t want to accept Sid loads from turning.

What is your experience trying to turn tapers?

Roger

Roger,  for short tapers I find Sherlines  taper attachment works fine.  It mounts on the cross slide and cuts from the back side (tool upside down). Here again I use the step method and have cut some longer tapers.

tool - 1.jpeg

Fall down nine times, get up ten.