Hello From A Newbe In Connecticut

Freebird

Hi all! Been lurking on this site since I retired a year ago and have seen many awesome builds that are very inspiring. But first a little about me. I’ve been modeling ever since I can remember and started with plastic. Being my father was an avid  R/C modeler, I quickly followed in his footsteps, so building is in my blood. I’ve won several modeling contest in plastic and a few at National R/C trade shows, mostly in scale helicopters. Back in my early 20s, I tried to build a I believe a Billings Cutty Sark, of course with no ship modeling skills, I failed miserably. I never lost the burning desire to build ship models and built several R/C boats, including submarines. Now that I’m retired and more patient, the time has come to dive into this world. For my entire working life, I worked in the jet engine field as a supervisor/manager mostly in overhaul and repair for commercial and military engines. It was a fantastic career for over 40 years. 

With this being said, I’ve decided to start with Chuck’s Medway Longboat as it ticks off a lot of boxes for me. I think there’s enough complexity without being overwhelming, new wood working skills and mostly some simple rigging will be a great starting point. Plus I just love the subject! I already have the kit and have read all of the logs, and will be adding mine. I’ll probably start after the holidays when things settle down and I look forward to making new friends here!

Best Regards ….

Freebird, aka also known as Rick

Edited by Freebird
Spelling

Hi Rick, welcome to MSW.   

You've made a good choice for a first build.  I hope you'll do a build log as it's a great way to get help with questions and also to meet others.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

3 hours ago, Freebird said:

Best Regards ….

Freebird, aka also known as Rick

Welcome! And thanks for the earworm (an agreeable one)!

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

:sign:

Regards, Patrick

Finished :  Soleil Royal Heller 1/100   Wasa Billing Boats   Bounty Revell 1/110 plastic (semi scratch)   Pelican / Golden Hind  1/45 scratch

Current build :  Mary Rose 1/50 scratch

Gallery Revell Bounty  Pelican/Golden hind 1/45 scratch

To do Prins Willem Corel, Le Tonnant Corel, Yacht d'Oro Corel, Thermopylae Sergal 

Shore leave,  non ship models build logs :  

ADGZ M35 funkwagen 1/72    Einhets Pkw. Kfz.2 and 4 1/72   Autoblinda AB40 1/72   122mm A-19 & 152mm ML-20 & 12.8cm Pak.44 {K8 1/2} 1/72   10.5cm Howitzer 16 on Mark. VI(e)  Centurion Mk.1 conversion   M29 Weasel 1/72     SAM6 1/72    T26 Finland  T26 TN 1/72  Autoprotetto S37 1/72     Opel Blitz buses 1/72  Boxer and MAN trucks 1/72   Hetzer38(t) Starr 1/72    

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Rick,

Excellent that you researched and came to a great conclusion on a first build.   Too many folks don't bother researching and get suckered into starting with kits that are too large/complicated and/or not of the best quality in plans, materials and historical accuracy.  Chuck has researched and developed a realistic model that is to-scale in all aspects with fine materials from what I have seen and heard.   Hope you start a build log.  You will get advice if you hit a snag and ask for it as you now have over 40,000 potential friends and teachers here in the wings. 

Allan 

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Hi Rick and welcome to Model Ship World.  The Medway Longboat is an excellent kit and a lot of fun to build.  Please start a build log and do not hesitate to ask questions if you need help.

Ryland

Member - Hampton Roads Ship Model Society

- Ship Model Society of New Jersey

- Nautical Research Guild

Current Build - Armed Virginia Sloop, 18th Century Longboat

Completed Build - Medway Longboat

All,

Thank you for the warm welcomes and the advice. I’m planning on a build log and hopefully I won’t hit too many snags. One of the reasons I got the Medway Longboat is the subject, but mostly because of the outstanding instructions that Chuck provides and the many informative build logs. To that end, I’ve got the Cheerful waiting in the wings.  I’m very excited to get going and have been messing around with some “stuff” to scratch that itch for the moment. Yesterday I bought some paint and I’m going to try Chuck’s method of many watered down coats on some scrap. 

Is there a thread on how to post pictures? Thanks!

Rick

27 minutes ago, Freebird said:

Is there a thread on how to post pictures? Thanks!

It's pretty straightforward. At the bottom of any reply window is a toolbar for uploading images. Afterwards, you simply click on the desired image to insert it into your post. Double-clicking the inserted image will bring up a resizing tool, so you don't have to worry about sizing images before uploading them.

Chris Coyle
Greer, South Carolina

When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
- Tuco

Current builds: Brigantine Phoenix, Hawker Hurricane

Rick,

This is the bar that appears on the bottom left when you are typing a reply that Chris mentioned.   
Allan

•  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Where did you find it?   

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

You're welcome, Rick.

Unfortunately that log was abandoned and we're left not knowing the reason why. From reading the log, he and his wife had just bought a house and that's where the log stops. Abandoned logs and unfinished builds seems to happen far too often. It's sad and I wish that somehow there could be  'build medics'  that were able to rush in and save a modeler and their build before a  model is abandoned.

Brain's Niagara build held a lot of promise but we'll never know how good it could have been and we're all left the worse for not knowing. 

Hi Rick,    welcome to the club  from UK,     you should settle in well  - we are a very warm bunch  with a great sense of humour  and  hundreads of years of knowledge.

OC.

Current builds  

28mm  Battle of Waterloo   attack on La Haye Saint   Diorama.

1/700  HMS Hood   Flyhawk   with  PE, Resin  and Wood Decking.

Completed works.

Dragon 1/700 HMS Edinburgh type 42 batch 3 Destroyer plastic.

HMS Warspite Academy 1/350 plastic kit and wem parts.

HMS Trafalgar Airfix 1/350 submarine  plastic.

Black Pearl  1/72  Revell   with  pirate crew.

Revell  1/48  Mosquito  B IV

Eduard  1/48  Spitfire IX

ICM    1/48   Seafire Mk.III   Special Conversion

1/48  Kinetic  Sea Harrier  FRS1

1 hour ago, Keith Black said:

You're welcome, Rick.

Unfortunately that log was abandoned and we're left not knowing the reason why. From reading the log, he and his wife had just bought a house and that's where the log stops. Abandoned logs and unfinished builds seems to happen far too often. It's sad and I wish that somehow there could be  'build medics'  that were able to rush in and save a modeler and their build before a  model is abandoned.

Brain's Niagara build held a lot of promise but we'll never know how good it could have been and we're all left the worse for not knowing. 

Keith,

Totally agree with what you’ve voiced. I was very impressed with his framing and how precise it looked. I was very disappointed last night when I read his unfinished log.

Rick