Lady Nelson by Dave_E - FINISHED - Amati/Victory Models - 1:64

Greetings Everyone,

The Lady arrived a few days ago. I've been picking up ship building tools, doing lots of research and got the work bench turned into a ship yard. You may notice the tools on the peg board don't look like model ship building tools... I have built 6 classical and 4 acoustic guitars. The bench was also an RC helicopter and airplane hanger for a few years, and now it's being converted to a shipyard. I retire in 19 days and will get at it.  🙂IMG_2749.thumb.JPG.16bd5ff5477f7eebd41f2cf5f80f428b.JPG

Dave

Current builds: Rattlesnake

Completed builds: Lady Nelson

On the shelf: NRG Half Hull Project, Various metal, plastic and paper models

Opened everything up, looks to be in good order and complete. Start with something easy like the cradle. 😄 Also noted the cannons are all metal... better research the metal prep for painting etc.. Also noted I am definitely going to have to get some sort of magnifier to see some of these tiny weeny parts.bench.thumb.jpg.4fc2dcf98cc817bc99054617c9646f0c.jpg

Dave

They get harder to see after you finish that glass of wine there on the bench. 😂

Regards,

Glenn

Current Build: HMS Winchelsea
Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Construction has begun! I could only hope it would all be this easy...😆 I glued 4 of the frames with CA (medium) and the rest with Titebond, just to experiment.IMG_2775.thumb.jpg.c5f4bff9f133b3d13e3d1f89e9fe907d.jpg

Dave

Hi All,

After reading and studying many of the build logs, I have come to the conclusion model wooden ship building is like many other things in life; there are many ways to achieve the same desired outcomes and results. I beveled the forward and aft 3 frames and decided to follow the instructions and get the prow and keel on. I am going to wait on the rudder post. IMG_2781.thumb.JPG.06488a9e2dcb2a9fda892211e0434339.JPGThe clothpins were used in my guitar making. They appear to have value in the shipyard as well.

Dave

Some serious ship yard work goin on here!

😀 The Amati instructions are so bad that quite frankly, without the forum and the build logs, I could see how a novice would just given up in short order.IMG_0059.thumb.JPG.3a25cef95e52950923ec4ca5fa5f4fab.JPG

Dave

Dave,

Looking good. I know what you mean re instructions.  The Amati/Victory instructions are better than most. The instructions for HMS Diana from Caldercraft are really difficult to follow.  You should check out Vanguard’s manuals - plenty of pictures as well as plans.  Chris Watton has really set a high bar.

Once you have a couple of builds under your belt the instructions become more of a guide. 

Cheers
Craig 

Current Build

HMS Indefatigable 

Erycina - Vanguard Models

Finished: HM Bomb Vessel Granado - Caldercraft, HMS Pegasus - Victory models, Nisha - Vanguard Models

• 2 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here is the latest. I think the next step is to start planking. I've been researching and reading everything I can and like so many other things, looks like there are several ways to accomplish the task. Straight away, I can honestly say, I'm not doing the pins and nails method. Don't want to start a side bar here here on the topic of planking, but as I proceed, I will use this thread to get opinions and advice as I go.IMG_2787.thumb.jpg.933a7007f965fbc3fb0fa426694bd6a2.jpg

Edited by Dave_E
Add Picture

Dave

Ditto to Kirby's post plus David Antscherl's article on spiling planks.  Study a couple contemporary planking expansion drawings which are easily found on the Wiki Commons site and at RMG Collections site.  For what NOT to do, look at build logs here at MSW as some show what happens when following kit directions that often provide other than realistic results. 

Happy New YEar

Allan  

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Chuck’s plank bending method and using CA as I describe in my logs is the way to go. 

Regards,

Glenn

Completed Builds: HM Flirt (paused) HM Cutter CheerfulLady NelsonAmati HMS Vanguard,  
HMS Pegasus, Fair American, HM Granado, HM Pickle, AVS, Pride of Baltimore, Bluenose

Hi from frosty Western Washington (We're not used to this),

I'm ready to go, I get out the hull planks and for the fun of it measure some widths. I have a low of 5.03mm to a high of 5.20mm and every thing in between. I am trying to eyeball them square in the calipers. Is this variation in width anything to be concerned with when laying out things? Can I generalize and say my planks are 5mm?

Edited by Dave_E
Spelling

Dave

That small variance can easily be sanded out. You’re fortunate, that’s not much at all. 

Regards,

Glenn

Good Morning Everyone,

A couple posts ago, I mentioned there are several ways to accomplish the task. I am brain fatigued studying this thing called "planking". 😑 I'm studying the "Lining Off your hull for planking". The model used in the publication lines off and has 4 "belts". This looks to be quite a bit larger ship than my Lady Nelson. What is your recommendation for the number of belts; 2, 3? 

Step 3 & 4 loose me completely (the whole fan template thing). Can anyone explain this to me? Remember, this is my 1st build.

I get the whole "no stealers or drop planks". I have watched several videos and most all end up with stealers and dropped planks.

Dave

You need only two belts for LN, no more. You definitely don’t need a drop plank and stealers only if you don’t plan and taper correctly. You can see this in my log. 

choose one method and start. Way too many opinions and methods, you’ll be paralyzed looking at them all and definitely don’t try to blend two. 

just start. 

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

You need a solid metal ruler for trimming planks,  not that plastic thing. Try this one Here

Edited by glbarlow

Regards,

Glenn

Are you using any hot water to soften the strip?  I just soaked the bow end to make the curve and then edge bent and used an iron to steam the water back out. I made a jig to do both sides. I would taper and then soak while I was edge bending and drying the other. I just went back and forth. I also used CA gel to glue in place. 

~Kirby

2 hours ago, glbarlow said:

You need a solid metal ruler for trimming planks,  not that plastic thing. Try this one Here

I have one… the plastic see through was for making marks on paper. 

Dave

1 hour ago, KirbysLunchBox said:

Are you using any hot water to soften the strip?  I just soaked the bow end to make the curve and then edge bent and used an iron to steam the water back out. I made a jig to do both sides. I would taper and then soak while I was edge bending and drying the other. I just went back and forth. I also used CA gel to glue in place. 

Kirby, 

When you use the gel, how are you holding the planks in place? Pins?

Dave

9 hours ago, Dave_E said:

Kirby, 

When you use the gel, how are you holding the planks in place? Pins?

I started at the bow and placed a drop of CA on the first four frames and just held the plank in place by hand for a count of 20 or so until it stayed put and then did the next three frames and then whatever was last. No pins or tape. The frame numbers might need adjusted to your liking, I just remember that you didn’t want to have to lift the plank too much to get CA under it or it would break the previous bond point loose. 

~Kirby

This is where I said choose one method and go with it.  Mine (the Chuck method) requires only heat, I don’t soak anything.  I use CA and don’t pin anything.  Like I said there are many methods, most work ok, but trying to blend them won’t help. 

Regards,

Glenn

Hi Guys,

Building guitars meant soaking wood and bending with heat (by hand or in a bending jig), so I know what soaking wood is all about. Just not necessary with the size of wood we’re using here (my opinion). I’ve got a spray bottle and the one plank I did cut and broke didn’t go to waste. I did bend it (I.e. Chuck method), worked fine and found all that is necessary is a couple drops of water smeared on the plank with your finger. So the plan for today is to get at least one plank on the ship, maybe one on the opposite side too. 🙂

Dave

OK... I got the first 2 planks on. I'm pleased that I go t them on and all but 2 of the frames are nice and flat on the frames.The first 2 frames are going to be "stepped" and have to be filled and sanded. Delema... Side bend first, but the bow still needs to be curved. The way I see it is the bow needs some sort of a "twist" to get all surfaces laying flat and maintain the curvature of the bow. [Advice needed here] Kind of concerned about the aft end as well. That bend to the last frame is a dinger.IMG_2795.thumb.JPG.7203215deef3f451c61b95fa82912de3.JPGIMG_2796.thumb.JPG.bbdfa5d10ecf5ce50337fe01f110021e.JPGIMG_2794.thumb.JPG.0844fad13d94d36a0a91e28cc2e5da58.JPG

Dave