HMS Agamemnon wale lines

JamesT1

46 minutes ago, JamesT1 said:

Good evening all

can anyone tell me if the two lines I have indicated in red are the  upper and lower limits of the main wale  on HMS Agamemnon 1876

Many thanks

Jim

Agg wale.PNG

jim: Yes.. they are the upper and lower lines of the main wale.  And.. the two lines that are located where the chainplates meet is the upper wale. 

MIKE

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Hi Jim,

That drawing looks like Agamemnon 1781.   Can you share how did you came to find this is from 1876?  The reason I ask is that the British were building ironclads by 1876 and the vessel in the plans is surely 18th century, not late 19th century.  Your signature has you building the Caldercraft Agamemnon which is the 1781vessel so a little confusing (or maybe a typo 😃)

Mike may be correct, but assuming this is Agamemnon 1781 the arrows might not be the top and bottom of the wales.  The  bottom arrow looks to be pointing at the wales but the top arrow is pointing at what may be the black strake, which is not part of the wales as it is not as thick as the wales.  The main wales of a 64 like Agamemnon in 1781 were 7" thick and later in the century went to 8" thick.  The main wales on a 64 were 4' 2" broad (0.78125" at 1:64)  The strake on top of the wales (which I believe is also known as the black strake) was 6.5" thick and 16" (0.25") broad.  The planking above this strake was 4" thick.   These figures are from both The Shipbuilder's Repository 1788 and Steel's Elements and  of Naval Architecture 1805.  As an FYI, the Establishments up to 1750 gave a thickness of 7" for a 60 (there are no 64's in the Establishment scantlings).  The  strake above the main wales in the Establishments was 5.5" thick.

Allan

Edited by allanyed

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

17 hours ago, allanyed said:

Hi Jim,

That drawing looks like Agamemnon 1781.   Can you share how did you came to find this is from 1876?  The reason I ask is that the British were building ironclads by 1876 and the vessel in the plans is surely 18th century, not late 19th century.  Your signature has you building the Caldercraft Agamemnon which is the 1781vessel so a little confusing (or maybe a typo 😃)

Mike may be correct, but assuming this is Agamemnon 1781 the arrows might not be the top and bottom of the wales.  The  bottom arrow looks to be pointing at the wales but the top arrow is pointing at what may be the black strake, which is not part of the wales as it is not as thick as the wales.  The main wales of a 64 like Agamemnon in 1781 were 7" thick and later in the century went to 8" thick.  The main wales on a 64 were 4' 2" broad (0.78125" at 1:64)  The strake on top of the wales (which I believe is also known as the black strake) was 6.5" thick and 16" (0.25") broad.  The planking above this strake was 4" thick.   These figures are from both The Shipbuilder's Repository 1788 and Steel's Elements and  of Naval Architecture 1805.  As an FYI, the Establishments up to 1750 gave a thickness of 7" for a 60 (there are no 64's in the Establishment scantlings).  The  strake above the main wales in the Establishments was 5.5" thick.

Allan

Hi Allan   

Sorry senile  moment... I meant 1781....   haven't a clue where I got 1876 from...  that was a couple of years before I was born....

Many thanks for all the other very useful information

Jim

Edited by JamesT1

Jim T

Current build:  HMS Agamemnon - Caldercraft - 1:64

Thank you very much for the smile you gave to another person with their fair share of senile moments (that person being me😀)  Glad the other information may be of help.

Allan

PLEASE take 30 SECONDS and sign up for the epic Nelson/Trafalgar project if you would like to see it made into a TV series.   Click on http://trafalgar.tv   There is no cost other than the 30 seconds of your time.  THANK YOU

Ah... as senior moment explains it all.   Too many of us are having them.  Myself included.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)