HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Mobbsie,

Just found your Agamemnon log.  She's looking good.  Your upper gun deck looks superb and I love the idea of the cant frames in the boiw rather than balsa blocks.  I started to build Agamemnon 7 years ago but between work and travel never got very far, but cutting out the gun ports was the worst experience!  Anyway, my Aggy is in storage in the attic while I'm working on my Victory.   Thanks for your comment on my log and I'm sorry you split some wood around your gun ports, but we're all here to learn from each other so I'm sure they'll all come out great.  Keep up the great work!

Patrick

I agree... Take all the time you need... Make him wait :P

Andy

And don't let Sjors pressure you.  He can only fire cotton balls. :D 

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Mobbsie, Good to see you back on line. no more combat for me, I'll participate in arbitration as a neutral party if things start to deteriorate again!

Cheers,

Jim

Completed      Robert E Lee, Misisssippi riverboat               

Completed,  HMS Victory Bow Section

Completed,  Wells Fargo Stagecoach...Picasa album.... 

Completed,  Lackawanna tugboat converted to private yacht...

Completed:  Sopwith Camel, 1:16 Scale, Model Airways...at another location...

Completed:  1961 Ferrari F-1 Sharknose

Completed: (sorta)  OcCre BR-18 Locomotive

Completed: 1/35 Pz.KPfw.III

Completed: Allerton Steam Pumper circa 1869

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your patience, I now have a few pics I can post just to bring you up to date.

Mark,  I didnt realise that Sjors has cotton balls, I did wonder why his hair was the colour it is, or did you mean Cotton Cannon Balls.

Patrick,  The damage to the hull was'nt much but it was enough to warn me what might happen if I continued without protecting the wood.

Andy,  You know it's easier to give in to Sjors, he's like a terrier, never lets go.

Jim,  Nice to have you around buddy, like you I will also be sitting on the fence from now on, Sjors can fight his own battles without my help.

Right, my progress with the 1st planking has been snails pace and it's still not quite finished, another 3 planks per side should see me done, for me this has been a real tedius task, she is one slab sided beast and planking just seemed to go on & on & on.

I did start to fill in some of the rough stuff but decided to wait untill completion so it's a bit patchy with loads of push pins still in her.

Enough chat some pics.

Gunport pattern is fitted to the Starboard side and marked out

post-493-0-98450300-1362716602.jpg

post-493-0-79256700-1362716626.jpg

post-493-0-49704000-1362716652.jpg

I started to cut the gunports as a break from planking before I'd washed with diluted PVA, a bit of damage occurred which soon stopped me, lessen learned.

post-493-0-02485000-1362716706.jpg

This is me right up to date, should'nt be too long before 1st planking completion.

post-493-0-30912200-1362716727_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-37600100-1362716747.jpg

So there we are guys, that should please at least one person but not a lot to show for several weeks work.

Next steps will be to :-

1, Wash the hull with diluted PVA,

2, Fill with filler and sand down,

3, Cut out and line the gunports

4, Paint gunports and inside the bulwarks with red ochre

5, Mark out and fit the Main Wale

That should keep me going for a while.

Be Good

Mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

hey Mobbsie...... you adding barnacles near your gun ports ?? :D  :D

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

er.. oops.. :blush:  :blush:  :blush: .. should have been "cotton cannonballs"... my very very bad.  I'll go stand in the corner for awhile.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Hey mobbsie: one tip on cutting out gunports and minimizing the wood from splitting and cracking.. cover the area that is being cut with Painters masking tape. It wont clog any drill bits if you drill through it. And after you have removed the waste wood in the port hole place tape adjacent to the porthole when you are sanding the edges smooth.. helps the wood from splintering again.

Worked for me on my Aggy.

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Mike Draper

Whitehorse, Yukon

Canada

Member, Nautical Research Guild

Nice planking Mobbsie,

Then a little sanding and a little bit more sanding  :D

And Mark, are you holding your hands on your back?

And your nose have to touch the wall….

Sjors

Hi Mobbsie,

Looks like you've done your usual good work on the planking, even if it did seem to take forever! Shame about the gunport damage, but I'm sure you'll recover nicely. Looking forward to seeing this stage complete.

Edited by gjdale

Mobbsie, your planking is looking good and the gunports are really coming along. I'm looking forward to seeing more progress!

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

That's a LOT of fine progress there Mobbsie.  At that size it must be like planking a gymnasium floor!  She is going to be impressive my friend.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

What can I say that has not already been said?

She's looking real nice... And huge!

Everyone who's slobbering over Chris Watton's Victory project should bear that in mind... I imagine she'd be "huge-er" :P

Looking forward to more updates in the future,

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the kind words and for looking in.

Progress so far is that the first planking is now completed, filled and sanded down. I did have to remove the rudder post in order to get to the stern planking and I will leave it off untill completion of the 2nd planking.

Next job is to cut out the portside gunports and line them all.

Joshukr :- No this is not my first build, this is in fact my 7th start, my 6th a Greek Bireme is languishing in the background waiting for some inspiration.

Ben :-  It has taken me about 3 weeks to complete the 1st planking, this came as a surprise to me but I have never planked a ship this size before, we live

and learn.

Boris :-  Your more than welcome and thanks for looking in.

Augie :-  Your not wrong about planking a gym, she is one big slab sided beast, one thing it does teach you is for the need to get the bulkheads right,

mistakes really show up at this size.

Andy :-   Hopfully I'll get some pics out Saturday.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Mobbise.... Saturday huh? I'll be patient.

Mark

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:

Mobbise.... Saturday huh? I'll be patient.

I'll be sitting next to Mark and don't say a thing…...

Can you give me a beer Mark?

Waiting makes thirsty….

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Guys,

It's still Saturday and the pics are ready, not very inspiring but progress all the same.

Gunports have been cut but are waiting to be lined.

Sjors, you go easy on that beer, you know you cant take a lot, you keep putting on a clown suit and standing on your head.

Mark, go easy with him, I'm holding you responsible.

Anja, just use what every woman uses when she wants some space, your elbows, and please turn your Skype on.

David, good to have you along and thanks for the kind words.

Some pics

post-493-0-13146600-1363445089.jpg

She really is a slab sided beast

post-493-0-30297900-1363445156.jpg

Mark, as you can see, the centre waist has a dip on both sides, not too sure if it's my bulkheads or if she is supposed to be like this.

post-493-0-14744800-1363445312.jpg

Quite a lot of filler used.

post-493-0-97450600-1363445402.jpg

I had to use a fair bit of filler where the hull sides come into the stern counter, she was looking like a catamaran.

post-493-0-32883300-1363445539.jpg

The bow looks a bit rough but it's ok in real life

post-493-0-83189000-1363445626.jpg

Gunports are now cut

post-493-0-25054000-1363445680.jpg

Looking along the line I think No 6 port may be a little high.

So there we go guys, as I say not very inspiring but it is progress, be nice to do something other than planking for a while.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hey I just noticed, I got promoted to midshipman, not much to sing about but I like it.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hello Mobbsie,

Congratulations on finishing the planking. Well done!

But I don't see any dip! By the looks of it you've already fixed it.

But tell me something, we have just one hour time difference, but with you it's already March 17?

Maybe you have to change the date in your camera.

I will turn Skype on, but first I have to do some ironing and have dinner.

Will be fun talking to a Mobbsie in the future (just kidding)

Talk to you later.

Take care my friend,

Anja

Sorry, I nearly forgot ..... Congratulations on your promotion.

Edited by Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Mobbsie,

I would say no. 3 port from this side on the lower row of gun ports is somewhat high (is that the same as your no 6?)

Congrats on your establishment. What's the average age of a midshipmen during the nineteen hundreds ... ;)

Don't expect you'll be finished planking for to long ... It's doubled planked ...? You're a lucky bloke.

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...