HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Mobbsie........ I'm not sure I see the dip but if I do, it's symmetrical.  I'm sure you're happy the 1st planking is complete.

But more importantly, congratulations on your promotion  :champagne-2:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Dip? What dip?

Congratulations on reaching this milestone Mobbsie, and of course on your promotion too!

Mobbsie,

I'm not sure there is a dip.. maybe some more photos? :D  :D :D  Planking looks good.

For Sjors... just one...post-76-0-03457000-1363487408.gif

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Your planking looks great as do the gunports. I did not take that close a look at them so I cannot comment as others have but how long did it take? I think cutting the ports is much harder than copper plating a hull.

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Great pictures Mobbsie  :D

Anja can not see the cap also so I showed it to her…..

It's not much but I know for sure that you will take care of that.

Mark, thanks for the beer  :)

One is enough, he taste good when I got home last night from work.

Remind me that i give one to you.

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Off to the races again Mobbsie? You took a task that would normally give most of us 3-4 months of work and made short work of it. The planking looks excellent and your gunports are very clean and even. I like the progress you are making on her.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Mobbsie,

Nice work! You are building like a rocket...

If you continue like that she will be sailing before Christmas.

About the dip (not very visible on your photographies, it comes from the matching of the beautiful underwater lines (HMS Agamemnon was famous for her sailing qualities) and the heavy guns platform. Quite a challenge for the designers! But, I suppose that changes of curvature along a streamline were not allowed.

Pierre

Nice job on the planking Mobbsie......... at the rate you'er going , she'll be ready for launching before the sun sets !! ( Ididn't say which sunset though ) :P I  suspect that this is gong to be one fantastic build !!!

Cheers,

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the very kind comments and remarks, they are very much appreciated.

I am going to remove the dip in the waist by using filler, I dont know how much I am going to need but I'm buying in extra stock just in case.

I have been correcting some small errors with the gunports, it's rediculas that using the same gunport pattern in the same position on both sides of the hull that some ports can be as much as 2mm out of line. Nice to have a problem to sort out that does'nt involve planking.,

Andy:- I only have to line the upper gundeck for the time being so with them being split up it's not going to be so tedious, only 26 to start with, thats 116
pieces of 10 and 12mm lining, what fun.

Frank:- Thanks for looking in my friend.

Grant:- Cheers mate.

Augie:- Thanks mate, the dip is symetrical but I will take it out, I dont know how it will effect the look later down the line, I still have to do the 2nd planking and
then copper plate it, but on the whole I am quite pleased with it.

Pierre:- She should have gracefull lines, dont know what they'll look like when I've finished with them.

Patrick:- For me this was an eternity, never taken me 3 weeks to do a single task before.

Sjors:- Thanks for the vote of confidence mate.

Mort:- I have never copper plated before so it's going to be a new experience for me, cutting the gunports really is'nt difficult at all, when drilling stay inside
the lines and be carefull when fileing down.

Wayne:- Thanks mate.

John:- The dip does look worse in the pics than in reality but I'm going to remove it all the same, as I said to Augie, I dont how it will effect the look later.

Carl:- They were usually a bit younger than me I can assure you, but I dont plan on staying a midshipman for long, I'll never get as high as Sjors though, we

will all need to be Astronaughts to talk to him soon., thats if the Dutch navy have Astronaughts, again thats if the Dutch even have a navy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Joe:- Thanks for your kind remarks.

Anja:- You are too kind, if I can find out how to change the date on my camera I'll do it just for you. You know what us old folks are like with modern

technoligy.

Thats it for now guys, I hope to get another update out fairly soon, just as soon as I finish the Admirals wish list.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Mobbsie,

You mean 'astro-noughts' I presume ;)  Never thought about it as a navy ... more like a fishing fleet, and even then 'fleet' is a rather large word for it :D :D :D

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

see what happens when I get too much sawdust flying........I miss great builds like this!   the last I heard,  was that you tabled the greek vessel and was thinking of another build.......I guess I don't get out much.   I'll have to read it completely,  but what I saw so far is superbly done.......that's one bid girl your working on........cripes the sawdust must be everywhere by now!   I'll be looking on from here on out.....great job so far  ;)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Good call Mobbsie.  A little filler, 2nd planking and copper should bring her in (out) like a piece of fine furniture.  Going to be spectacular.

Nelson himself would be proud of you

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Hi Guys,

Here's my latest update for what it's worth.

I have filled the dip and just have to finish the sanding down, should be ok when it's done.

I thought I would plank the stern transom whilst waiting for the filler to harden, it calls for 1 x 3mm walnut, so searching for the right wood ( took ages ) I find that I dont have any, been left out the kit, a quick call to Jotika and they are sending it to me, should'nt be long in getting here.

I thought I'll line the gunports, somewhere in the old forum I saw a tube that was made up and the linings cut from that so I thought I would give that a try, I made a jig so that I could just cut the tube, set for 9mm this would give about 1mm to sand down, made my box tube, let the glue dry and tried cutting a piece, what a mess, the tube just kept shattering, and the inside dimensions are wrong, it was giving me a measurement of 10 x 8 when it should be 10 x 10mm, so for me there is no shortcut, I'm going to have to cut the linings individually and do it the long way.

I know where I've gone wrong with the tube, I put it together wrong by just butting the sides but I cant do anything about the splitting of the timber, it's just very dry and quite rough.

So all in all I've not made much progress but I have learned a lessen.

Anyway a few useless pics.

Making adjustments to the size of the gunports and my way of holding the wood in place

post-493-0-15616000-1363879687.jpg

The filler just needs to be sanded down

post-493-0-95217100-1363879979.jpg

Quite a lot of filler has been used on both sides

post-493-0-11392300-1363880097.jpg

Here is my jig for cutting the many lengths of gunport linings !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

post-493-0-90321800-1363880193.jpg

Jig and tube

post-493-0-34994800-1363880244.jpg

The tube fits tight into the jig

post-493-0-30590400-1363880289.jpg

Cutting the tube

post-493-0-92325700-1363880338.jpg

The end result, too small, all it's cost me is a bit of time, but lessen learned.

post-493-0-91098100-1363880370.jpg

So there we are, pretty boring really but it's still fun and it's good to try new ideas even if they dont work out, isnt it ?

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Hello Mobbsie,

Yes, even at our age we are still learning.  But as long as we're having fun…..

But instead of cutting the lines individually and do it the long way, couldn't you just widen the cutting line a bit more to the left?

That way the gun ports will have the right size.

Just an idea EMOTHthoughts.gif

Take care,

Anja

Those we loved but lost are no longer where they were, but are always where we are.

In the gallery: Albatros 1840 - Constructo

Hi Anja,

To answer your question, No, it's the inside of the tube thats the wrong size, when fitted the gunport should be 10mm x 10mm, with my tube it's 10mm x 8mm.

I could try and split the tube and refix it but that not going to stop the wood from splitting when I cut it.

I think I am going to split the tube and refix it then I can line it with a piece of 10 x 10 block to give support when I cut it, it's worth a try.

Thanks for asking and the idea. :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie

Looking forward to seeing the hull sanded, Mobbsie.  Should work out fine.

Oh, you are using the clothespins backwards.  Do not try to dry your clothes with the pins in that orientation :D

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

I still can't get over how big that hull is.........I had to look back at the hull pictures to see the dip you were talking about.  well, for what it's worth...once you get a handle on the sanding,  the second planking will cover it over nicely.  tried to crunch some numbers on your gun port issue.......you know   1mm thick X 10mm wide........but it didn't add up.  so, I scratched all that and took a mini nap at my desk.  hope you get it figured out OK.........I'm sure you will,   all by yourself! :)

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

If at first you don't succeed... try, try, try......try.....try............**** it, go and get drunk.

Isn't that how it goes?

Lessons learned are still progress.. even though it may not feel like it.

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

I agree the jig looks right. The measurements were incorrect. That is how we learn. I cannot begin to tell you how much I have learned from my mistakes.

You are doing a great job,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mobbsie, at least you caught it before you had them all cut and were trying to fit them. As fast as you work, I'm sure this has only set you back by about an hour. LOL

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Mobbsie,

Your idea of inserting a solid block into the tube to give support while cutting, sounds like it should work.

Best of luck with that my friend! She is looking good.

Mobbsie,

Maybe wetting the wood slightly may do the trick. Those model boxes sometimes are waiting for ages for their new owner to pick them up. no wonder, I would dry out too

P.s. Sanding? I would use a rasp before sanding the hull down ... ;)

Edited by cog

Carl

"Desperate affairs require desperate measures." Lord Nelson
Search and you might find a log ...

Hello Mobbsie just took a look at this build and its looking A ok mate,am envious of one thing i see you  had some square timber supplied   to cut for the gun ports wish i had that in my Victory  had to cut 4 seperate pieces yours is going to look a lot neater,not sure who your build is from if it is jotika am amazed they do not supply that square timber a bit more.Anyway nice job so far DEREK    PS a bit of CA on the wood stops it splitting while you cut it

Edited by ocean clipper