HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

Ahoy Mate, just catching up again. Hope you and Sjors managed to stay out of trouble recently....I didn't see any International Incidents in the news. Take care and I should be back in the shipyard in Sept or Oct.

John

Current Current Builds:

US Brig Niagara on my website

FINISHED BUILD LOGS:

New Bedford Whaleboat - page on my Morgan Website:  http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com/whaleboat-build-log-by-john-fleming.html

C.W. Morgan - Model Shipways 1:64 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1785-cw-morgan-by-texxn5-johnf-ms-164-kit/

USS Constitution - Revell 1:96 http://modelshipworld.com/index.php?/topic/1796-uss-constitution-by-texxn5-johnf-revell-196-kit/

website US Brig Niagara Model http://www.niagaramodel.com

website Charles W Morgan Model http://www.charleswmorganmodel.com

website PROXXON DISCOUNT TOOL STORE http://proxxontoolsdiscount.com

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I cant believe my last post was on the 26th June, jeez time flies.

I have been working on rigging the Mizzen Gaff and Boom, making, fitting and rigging the Mizzen Mast. I have gone as far as I can at the moment so now am starting on the Main Mast Yards and rigging.

My one gripe is the quality of my 0.75mm Natural Rope supplied with the kit, it's not just hairy but it has bits sticking out of it's entire length, applying wax does the trick for a short time then when the rope is passed through a block it's back to normal. The only thing I can do now is replace it, I'll do that whilst making the Main Yards.

Before I go any further I will apologize for not posting progress pics earlier but I sort of got carried away, one moment it seems not enough to post and the next it's done.

OK enough yak, here are some progress pics.

The Mizzen Gaff and Boom.

post-493-0-03918000-1406784523_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-71598300-1406784558_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-80733600-1406784586_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-85239900-1406784643_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-36656500-1406784677_thumb.jpg

The Mizzen Mast Yards and Rigging

post-493-0-55795500-1406784956_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-00408800-1406785015_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-95116500-1406785068_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-31411000-1406785176_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-17358600-1406785220_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-47305900-1406785256_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-70274100-1406785293_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-93991400-1406785314_thumb.jpg

The Braces are still to be rigged but that's for later.

So there we have it guys, your right up to date, apologies for the quality of the pictures but in my defence I will say that I'm working with old equipment and old eyes.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

Sweet! I'd recommend getting some of Chuck's rope Mobbsie - it really is good quality and virtually no fuzz.

Apologies are not in order.  Looking sharp, mate!

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Great rigging Mobbsie photos look good, rigging is always difficult to photograph.

Ray

Current build A set of HMS Diana`s boats @ 1/48

HMS Royal Marine a Military class Trawler

Completed  HMS Diana

Completed build The Lady Nelson

Completed Build HMS Pegasus

Mobbsie I finally got around to going through your log.  The Aggy for a beginner.  You had more courage than I do and You really did a nice job.  Building and redoing when needed in such a short time.  That you have gone this far in such a short time is incredible.  Keep it up you are an inspiration to everyone out there to never give up and to have fun.  As for accidents this is nothing new.  Years ago I split my finger to the bone and it cost me $800 no ins.  A friend of mine was carving out a hull for a lifeboat and his xacto slipped and into his hand.  10 stitches and a sliced muscle.  6 mo of physical therapy and he was as good as new.

David B

Looks positively wonderful, Mobbsie.  No need to apologize.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Great job on the rigging so far Mobbsie !

And that rope is really terrible !

Before I use that I have to see how it goes otherwise I'm gonna change it.....But I think that's gonna take a while  ;)  ;)

David,

I just read your post to Mobbsie and beginner ????

Au, that hurts !  ;)

Mobbsie has build a few more models and they are at the moment in a museum.....

I don't think that the Agamemnon is a beginners model  :D  :D  :D  :D

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Beautiful work Mobbsie.  It's coming along very nicely :)

Mike

Current Wooden builds:  Amati/Victory Pegasus  MS Charles W. Morgan  Euromodel La Renommèe  

Plastic builds:    SB2U-1 Vindicator 1/48  Five Star Yaeyama 1/700  Pit Road Asashio and Akashi 1/700 diorama  Walrus 1/48 and Albatross 1/700  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/32  Eduard Sikorsky JRS-1 1/72  IJN Notoro 1/700  Akitsu Maru 1/700

Completed builds :  Caldercraft Brig Badger   Amati Hannah - Ship in Bottle  Pit Road Hatsuzakura 1/700   Hasegawa Shimakaze 1:350

F4B-4 and P-6E 1/72  Accurate Miniatures F3F-1/F3F-2 1/48  Tamiya F4F-4 Wildcat built as FM-1 1/48  Special Hobby Buffalo 1/48

Citroen 2CV 1/24 - Airfix and Tamiya  Entex Morgan 3-wheeler 1/16

Terminated build:  HMS Lyme (based on Corel Unicorn)  

On the shelf:  Euromodel Friedrich Wilhelm zu Pferde; Caldercraft Victory; too many plastic ship, plane and car kits

Future potential scratch builds:  HMS Lyme (from NMM plans); Le Gros Ventre (from Ancre monographs), Dutch ship from Ab Hoving book, HMS Sussex from McCardle book, Philadelphia gunboat (Smithsonian plans)

Rigging - ohhhhh great rigging, i so want to get on with mine as well, lovely work

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

looking super Mobbsie.......very nice job on the rigging!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Just a quick update to let you know that I haven't fallen of the planet. :D

Rigging continues, all the main yards are made painted and fitted, the rigging is now completed on the main as far as I want to go at least at this moment in time.

I thought I would be clever and just put pegs on the ropes before tying off, so with all the yards rigged and a multitude of pegs hanging came the first headache.

I ended up almost making lace, the pegs got spun around each other and so the lace making had begun, the second headache was once all the lines were untangled where the hell do they go, they are all now tied of and trimmed so lessen learned, tie of as you go and avoid a whole lot of headache pills. :angry: It still isn't getting any easier tying around the belaying pins, even with the approved tools and a few homemade efforts. :(

Next job is to make the fore and sprit yards, this will be done over the next day or so.

I have a few pics to show and as usual please give your honest thoughts and opinions, all are welcome.

These are the main yards prior to painting

post-493-0-07060600-1409404221_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-69637400-1409404264_thumb.jpg

Lace making

post-493-0-06322000-1409404336_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-20564600-1409404375_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-10997600-1409404408_thumb.jpg  post-493-0-15652700-1409404443_thumb.jpg

As I have said all these lines are now fixed and trimmed but no pics yet.

Be Good

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Beautiful work on those yards.  If it's any consolation, there is usually much swearing here when it comes to belaying lines.

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

Mobbsie,

thanks for sharing

what a wonderful rigging in masts and Yards, I`m going to look at These pics of yours more Close, ist just at the right time...

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

hello mobbise  the shiip is looking great keep up the great work

Excellent work on the rigging Tony...... how did you square off the center of the yards ?.. they came out real nice! ! ;)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Lovely nice and clean rigging Mobbsie,

a delight to see

Nils

Current builds

-Lightship Elbe 1

Completed

- Steamship Ergenstrasse ex Laker Corsicana 1918- scale 1:87 scratchbuild

"Zeesboot"  heritage wooden fishing small craft around 1870, POB  clinker scratch build scale 1:24

Pilot Schooner # 5 ELBE  ex Wanderbird, scale 1:50 scratchbuild

Mississippi Sterwheelsteamer built as christmapresent for grandson modified kit build

Chebec "Eagle of Algier" 1753--scale 1:48-POB-(scratchbuild) 

"SS Kaiser Wilhelm der Grosse" four stacker passenger liner of 1897, blue ribbond awarded, 1:144 (scratchbuild)
"HMS Pegasus" , 16 gun sloop, Swan-Class 1776-1777 scale 1:64 from Amati plan 

-"Pamir" 4-mast barque, P-liner, 1:96  (scratchbuild)

-"Gorch Fock 2" German Navy cadet training 3-mast barque, 1:95 (scratchbuild) 

"Heinrich Kayser" heritage Merchant Steamship, 1:96 (scratchbuild)  original was my grandfathers ship

-"Bohuslän" , heritage ,live Swedish museum passenger steamer (Billings kit), 1:50 

"Lorbas", river tug, steam driven for RC, fictive design (scratchbuild), scale appr. 1:32

under restoration / restoration finished 

"Hjejlen" steam paddlewheeler, 1861, Billings Boats rare old kit, scale 1:50

Fantastic Mobbsie! I love the way you have made the yards themselves - they really do look first class. As for "lace-making", I think you've got it right when you say tie off as you go. It's hard enough trying to get one line at a time to go where it's supposed to - no need to add an extra degree of difficulty. ;) Patience is key from here on - don't want you poking an eye out, or snapping off topgallant masts!

Great work on the yards and rigging, Tony.   That is an excellent rule of thumb... tie off as you go.  When it can't be done for some reason, I tape a piece of paper to the fly end with the pin number on it.  Makes it a tad easier to figure out where it's going.

Mark
"The shipwright is slow, but the wood is patient." - me

Current Build:                                                                                             
Past Builds:
 La Belle Poule 1765 - French Frigate from ANCRE plans - ON HOLD           Triton Cross-Section   

NRG Hallf Hull Planking Kit                                                                            HMS Sphinx 1775 - Vanguard Models - 1:64               

Non-Ship Model:                                                                                         On hold, maybe forever:           

CH-53 Sikorsky - 1:48 - Revell - Completed                                                   Licorne - 1755 from Hahn Plans (Scratch) Version 2.0 (Abandoned)         

Thanks Guys for your very kind comments and remarks, also for the likes.

Frank, to answer your question mate, I mark the centre section and reduce the yards to their thickness outside of these marks, I then just place the yard in a vice and file/sand one side flat, I then turn through 90 degrees and repeat until all four sides are done, I then repeat the process on the quarter turn then turn that through 90 degrees, no measurements, it's all done by eye. Simpler the better for me I'm afraid.

Augie,  Good job we have to put rope coils around the belaying points, covers a multitude of sins, and your right about the language, they didn't teach me that in school. :D  :D

Grant,  I cant promise anything mate, I think I must be the clumsiest guy on the forum. :angry:

Sjors,  Yes I'm still modelling all be it very slowly, it's alright for you young whipper snappers to race ahead but us senior citizens need time :P  :P  ;)  ;)

Mark,  A good idea mate, but from now on if it cant be tied off it don't get fitted, if I have bits of white paper hanging I know for sure I'm gonna bounced by some cotton cannon balls, no names you understand. :D  :D :D  

Nils,  You flatter me mate, but please don't look too closely ^_^  ^_^

OK, it's now time to get back into the loft and start turning out the Fore and Sprit yards.

Thanks again and be good.

mobbsie

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie