HMS Agamemnon by mobbsie - FINISHED - Caldercraft / Jotika - 1/64

lol - it's nice to see Murphy is visiting someone else for a change, 

if i do another 1st rate i will close all the gun-port lids and do away with the linings altogether, or use Evergreen plastic strips

the hull is looking great

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hi Guys,

Sorry if I missed something but Kevin why would you used the Evergreen Plastic Ptrips for the gunport linings?

Thanks,

Mort

Current Build - Caldercraft Victory

Completed - Artesiana Latina Swift, Harvey, MGS Prince de Neufchatel, Imai USS Susquehanna, Mamoli Constitution, Rattlesnake per Hunt Practium, Caldercraft Snake, Diana, Kammerlander Duke William 

Waiting to be Launched -  Bluejacket Constitution

Proud member of The New Jersey Ship Model Society

Mort 

good point and i dont have an answer

i have to remind myself sometimes when i look at my photos and see things about my build i dont like (about 90% at present) and think of ways i could have improved it, i had a thought that replacing my  Gun-port linings in plastic - might have been better - on reflection i would not do that  - lol - wish i had not said it now

have you seen the price of these plastic strips - how on earth they need to charge that amount

Edited by Kevin

Its all part of Kev's journey, bit like going to the dark side, but with the lights on

All the best

Kevin :omg:

SAY NO TO PIRACY. SUPPORT ORIGINAL IDEAS AND MANUFACTURERS.
KEEP IT REAL!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the build table

HMS Indefatigable 1794 by Kevin - Vanguard Models - 1:64 - Feb 2023 

HMHS Britannic by Kevin 

SD 14  - Marcle Models - 1/70 - March 2022 -  Bluebell - Flower Class - Revel - 1/72   U552 German U Boat - Trumpeter - 1/48  Amerigo Vespucci     1/84 - Panart-   HMS Enterprise  -CAF -  1/48     

Finished     

St-Nectan-Mountfleet-models-steam-trawler-1/32 - Completed June 2020

HMS Victory - Caldercraft/Jotika - 1/72 - Finished   Dorade renamed Dora by Kevin - Amati - 1/20 - Completed March 2021 

Stage Coach 1848 - Artesania Latina - 1/10 -Finished Lady Eleanor by Kevin - FINISHED - Vanguard Models - 1/64 - Fifie fishing boat

Hello Mobbsie

I was looking at your gun port boxs and was thinking it may be the construction layout. Dont no if you beveled the edges to 45 degrees before gluing or over lapped. staggering the overlap would make the inner hole square where not wood give the rectangle.

I tried to put it in a picture in paint to illustrate, dont know if this is clear or had anything to do with the problem, just was thinking.

She's gonna be a beaut', What a beast of a ship.

Mobbsie ---  Rumour has it that you may have convinced you-know-who to add Agamemnon to his fleet.  I am beginning to feel slightly surrounded as one of you would certainly have the weather gage  :wacko:

Augie

Current Build: US Frigate Confederacy - MS 1:64

Previous Builds :

US Brig Syren (MS) - 2013 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Greek Tug Ulises (OcCre) - 2009 (see Completed Ship Gallery)

Victory Cross Section (Corel) - 1988

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Cutty Sark (Revell 1:96) - 1956

I wouldn't worry too much......if  'he who shall not be named'  did that, his shipyard would be too busy to even lift a sail!

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

I'd have to agree with Popeye on this. And there's also the fact that I have yet to see a cottonball smash through wood planking.

Thanks,

Patrick

YouTube Channel for fun: Patrick's Scale Studio

Finished: Model Shipways US Brig Niagara

Current: I Love Kit USS Curtis Wilbur DDG-54

"Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday"

- John Wayne

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the diagram mate, it would'nt have made any difference which system I used, the gunport is 10mm x 10mm inside and I was using 10mm planks, so the biggest I would be able to get would be 9mm which is to small. ;)

I have had to make each gunport lining with the sides at 12mm and the sills 10mm this has given a lining of 10mm x 10mm.

Thanks for the interest and your help, it is very much appreciated. :)  :)

mobbsie

mobbsie
All mistakes are deliberate ( me )

Current Build:- HMS Schooner Pickle

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,
Thames Steam Launch Louise,  Thames Barge Edme,  Viking Dragon Boat

Next Build :-  

You know who and who shall not be named is not worried about the space he needed for the Aggy,

If necessary he moved the other vessels to a few FANS ( yes, I have them)

And Mobbsie, keep on building …..

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

if a cotton ball hits a wall...........does it make a sound?

I yam wot I yam!

finished builds:
Billings Nordkap 476 / Billings Cux 87 / Billings Mary Ann / Billings AmericA - reissue
Billings Regina - bashed into the Susan A / Andrea Gail 1:20 - semi scratch w/ Billing instructions
M&M Fun Ship - semi scratch build / Gundalow - scratch build / Jeanne D'Arc - Heller
Phylly C & Denny-Zen - the Lobsie twins - bashed & semi scratch dual build

Billing T78 Norden

in dry dock:
Billing's Gothenborg 1:100 / Billing's Boulogne Etaples 1:20
Billing's Half Moon 1:40 - some scratch required
Revell U.S.S. United States 1:96 - plastic/ wood modified / Academy Titanic 1:400
Trawler Syborn - semi scratch / Holiday Harbor dual build - semi scratch

Hi Mobbsie,

Thanks for dropping by my log, as well as the kind words, I apologize for the extremely late response... my usual excuse is work getting in the way :( Very nice and quick planking work there, my friend, looks like not even this giant could slow you down ;) I can empathize with you on lining the gun ports, I'm only going to do 18 and I'm already burned out just thinking about it,  so I could imagine what a task it must be for you to line that many ports :o Nevertheless, you're doing a mighty fine job and that jig is pure genius, hope you won't mind if I borrow your jig technique when get to that stage ;)  Keep up the top-notch job my friend :)  

Best regards,

Aldo

Currently Building:
HMS Pegasus (Victory Models)-Mothballed to give priority to Triton

HMS Triton (first attempt at scratchbuilding)

Past build:
HM Brig Badger (Caldercraft), HM Brig Cruizer, HM Schooner Ballahoo

Hi Guys,

Mobbsie ---  Rumour has it that you may have convinced you-know-who to add Agamemnon to his fleet.  I am beginning to feel slightly surrounded as one of you would certainly have the weather gage  :wacko:

Voldamar has talked himself into building the Aggy himself, I would never presume to suggest such a thing, honest.

I thought that with all the new toys going into that yard we were looking at a scratch, just shows how wrong we can be.

As far as sails are concerned I believe only one ship carries sails in that fleet and that is the Corsiar, the rest are stuck on mooring bouys growing weed and being eaten by worms. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ( Shame )

Thanks for looking in guys, update will be coming very soon although I'm still waiting for my timber to arrive so I'm unable to do the wales, second planking and quarter galleries.

Be back soon.

mobbsie

mobbsie

Completed Builds :-   Panart 1/16 Armed Launch / Pinnace ( Completed ),  Granado Cross Section 1/48

Harwich Bawley, Restoration,  Thames Barge Edme, Repair / Restoration,  Will Everard 1/67 Billings 

HMS Agamemnon 1781 - 1/64 Caldercraft KitHM Brig Badger,  HM Bomb Vessel Granado,

Take your time Mobbsie......I am enjoying this build. 

I shall rest easy in your assurance that he-who-has-no-name is so far from an actual launch that I will have ample time to bolster my fleet (or enlist some staunch allies).

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976

Take your time Mobbsie......I am enjoying this build. 

I shall rest easy in your assurance that he-who-has-no-name is so far from an actual launch that I will have ample time to bolster my fleet (or enlist some staunch allies).

Again no comment……..

Hi Guys,

As promised an update.

I cant believe whats happening here at the moment, I've had to draw my workroom curtains because the sun ( yes the sun ) is blinding me, this must be our summer.

Right, the gunports have been lined, filled and rubbed down, painted and the holes for the guns drilled.

14 of the 26 18lb guns have been made.

I've started making the Breach Ropes for the guns that will be seen on the lower gundeck, thats 12, so far I've made 6 so far, I made a sort of gunport so that I can check them and all seems ok so far.

I am going to have to get some 2mm single blocks because the guns are only shown with the breach ropes on, I'm not too sure if I want to get hooks for the train tackle, still I have all Easter to think that one through.

Enough blurb, some pics

Port side gun ports before trimming

post-493-0-74123500-1364574887_thumb.jpg

Same with the Starboard side

post-493-0-55952000-1364574971_thumb.jpg

Starboard side gunports and port side bulworks

post-493-0-78165300-1364575057_thumb.jpg

post-493-0-33006000-1364575209_thumb.jpg

4 of the 18Lb guns with breach ropes

post-493-0-53341800-1364575247_thumb.jpg

4 of the breach ropes

post-493-0-40351900-1364575320_thumb.jpg

Made up gun port for testing the breach rope length

post-493-0-09831500-1364575359_thumb.jpg

Breach rope attached, note the flintlock fireing mechanism on the gun

post-493-0-06275800-1364575443_thumb.jpg

So thats it for now, hope you like them.

mobbsie

post-493-0-68043200-1364575562_thumb.jpg

Edited by mobbsie

mobbsie

Very well done. :)

Nice work on the breech ropes, and although I'm not sure on the bronze muzzles of the guns (I'm assuming it was a holding spot when you painted them and you'll come back to get that spot later..) the flintlock detail looks great.

Enjoy the sun while you can... ;)

Andy

Quando Omni Flunkus, Moritati

Current Build:

USF Confederacy

Hi Mobbsie,

You have sun and we have snow…...

Nice progress my friend.

When you are finished with your breach rope jig, please save him for me  :)

Great view of the canons.

Love the gold piece at the barrel.

Your trademark?

animaatjes-sjors-94584.gif

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the good word mate, the gun muzzles on all of my ships remain brass, When I first started with the "Badger" Aldo commented on it and so it's become my mark, , I know it's not correct but I quite like the effect.

How the trip going, not having any problems with the weather I hope.

Be Safe

mobbsie

mobbsie

looking very good, Mobbsie!  Still amazed at the size of that beastie!

Enjoy the weather - I think we have your rain here today!

Wayne

Neither should a ship rely on one small anchor, nor should life rest on a single hope.
Epictetus

Hi Sjors,

Thanks mate.

My trademark yes, and you may indeed have the jig.

Summers over now, suns gone in and it's clouding over, oh well back to wearing jumpers and thermals. :(  :(

mobbsie

mobbsie

Hi Wayne,

Thanks for the good word mate.

You are most welcome to borrow our rain any time you like, I dont need it anymore. Can you send it to the Netherlands when you are done with it, I think they have a drought there. :D

mobbsie

mobbsie

Mobbsie, your progress is amazing as usual!

Your guns are very very nice.

I have just a question. Should the large wheel of the gun carriage not be at the front of the carriage instead of at the rear?

I think it's so to take into account the curvature of the deck. But, I can be wrong too.

I shall go and check in Jean Boudriot's 74 guns ship and I tell you.

Have a good W-E.

Pierre

Hello mobbsie,

Just read through your log here. and I like several of your explantions, they are very well thought of. Your are also very organized in your building mobbsie. I am enjoying your progress sir...have fun

Thank You all...

Mario

:piratetongueor4:  :piratetongueor4:

"Each of us is a mixture of some good and some not so good qualities. In considering one's fellow man it's important to remember the good things ... We should refrain from making judgments just because a fella happens to be a dirty, rotten SOB(biscuit) ;) "

My Builds....

BETTEAU WAR OF 1812     BOUNTY LAUNCH(bashed)    CHESAPEAKE BAY FLATTIE

THE SEA of GALILEE BOAT   VICTORIAN STEAM LAUNCH(bashed)    HOWARD CHAPELLE's CRABBING SKIFF

LADY KATHRINE 1812 SCHOONER

Looking great Mobbsie. Your "trademark" certainly adds a point of difference for you. If you like it, then stick with it - you're the Captain after all! :D

Hello Mobbsie,

I am back about the wheels of the gun carriages.

I checked in Jean Boudriot's book and he is not speeking about a difference in diameter between front and rear wheels. Apparently, french ships have only one size of wheels.

On another hand, I checked in Bryan Lavery's book and in "Arming british man-o-wars" and there it is clearly indicated that the front wheel of the carriage is defintively larger than the rear wheel. I suppose it should be the right choice.

Good W-E,

Pierre

Guns look good, I like the flint locks. So are these working cannons? :D Details make such a difference.

I was also wondering about the brass ends, but there's something about it I like.

I was wondering how if they provided 10mm stock you were supposed to get 10mm inner measurements for the gun ports?

even with the correct overlap 9 mm is all that you could have gotten unless you have some method for curving/folding space.

Things are lookn good Mobbsie....... I like your trade mark with the guns !! :)

Frank

completed build: Delta River Co. Riverboat     HMAT SUPPLY

USRC "ALERT"

in progress: Red Dragon  (Chinese junk)

Beautifully done, Mobbsie----- 'trademark' and all.

Augie

Previous Builds :

Essex (MS) 1/8"- 1976